Author Topic: Eisteddfod winners?  (Read 4789 times)

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
Eisteddfod winners?
« on: Saturday 16 October 04 23:33 BST (UK) »
Is there any list of winners of prizes at the National Eisteddfod? My gt grandad may have won a prize in about the 1890's.
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eisteddfod winners?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 October 04 00:07 BST (UK) »
Amy - I doubt that any such record is in existence. The lists of prize winners are very lengthy. You might even have to track down what year from which one can find the town and perhaps there you might find the list held locally. A problem I see is that whilst there have been Eisteddfods for a very long time I think the National Eisteddfod only dates back to about 1917 or so. I was in a school choir of Dihewyd that sang in a regional Eisteddfod in 1941 at Llanfihangel Ystrad and the following year, as regional winners [or perhaps county winners] in the National Eisteddfod in Cardigan. I was very young but it was a wonderful experience. Welsh male voice choirs are equalled only by Zulu choirs - I have heard both many times.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk