Author Topic: An afternoon in the record office......  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Fifer

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: An afternoon in the record office......
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 October 04 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi All
During the summer Holidays i went to Sunderland Tyne&Wear Records office and had to take my kids with me i was lucky though as my kids were slightly older at 13 and 11 i managed to get them to help me as i booked both the fiche and film reader so i let them search through a census for me and it kept them ammused even though they couldnt read the film lol it kept them busy.
i said to them now you know why it takes me so long to search through records lol they just laughted.
And all the others in the library said to me how well behaved they were and they wished there own kids could help them like that.

Angela
Barclay,baxter,Cook,Cowie,Dryburgh,Hughes,Morris,Murray,Simpson,Westwater from Fife Scotland.

Hatton,Roscoe,Smith,Ellison,Hardy,Harding,Holmes,Randles, Fishwick from Wirral Cheshire,

Barnett,Hempsall,Humphrey,Ward,Wrench  from Lincolnshire

Hartshorne,Wilson,Brass,Dodds,Hunter from Durham

Offline English Jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 October 04 16:37 BST (UK) »
Don't get me wrong ... I'm not talking about older kids.  My dad used to take me to St Catherine's house from the age of about 11 (that's how I got the bug!!!).  I'm just saying about kids (like mine who is 3), that I know there would be no way I could keep her amused and do what I wanted to do and it's a bit obvious that if you take a baby with you at some stage they are going to cry for some reason or another.  I just can't wait till mine starts nursery so I can get down that record office!!!!
Letley, Kent/Anywhere ... Attempting a One Name Study.
Dunn, Yorkshire/Kent,
Garrett, Kent
Petyt, Yorkshre/Kent
Sheehan, Ireland/Kent
Summersett, Kent
Webb, Kent

Offline Fifer

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 October 04 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen

I hope you dont think i was having a go at you (i wasnt)
younger Children i know can be a nucience when we are doing research people just dont know how difficult it is to concentrate on doing what we do its hard enough because of the headaches we get just being on the machines and computers most of the time.i was hoping i would get my children to take an interest so when im not here ihave someone who can take over the future generationsbut i dont think they are really interested maybe there kids will be in the future hears hoping.
Im Afraid im a guilty one as well for using a pen in the library but only because ive never been told not to as you all said nobody seems to stop you.

Angela :)
Barclay,baxter,Cook,Cowie,Dryburgh,Hughes,Morris,Murray,Simpson,Westwater from Fife Scotland.

Hatton,Roscoe,Smith,Ellison,Hardy,Harding,Holmes,Randles, Fishwick from Wirral Cheshire,

Barnett,Hempsall,Humphrey,Ward,Wrench  from Lincolnshire

Hartshorne,Wilson,Brass,Dodds,Hunter from Durham

Offline English Jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 October 04 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Fifer

No, I didn't think you was having a go at me ... no I you!!!  That's the trouble with these damn machines, you type something in, and when somebody else reads it, it gets all screwed up!!!!

I'm the same as you, I hope my daughter will pick up the pieces and be interested in all this work ... but I don't think so.  I think the relationship is too close ... I think if my nan gave me all this stuff I would have to carry it on don't you?
Letley, Kent/Anywhere ... Attempting a One Name Study.
Dunn, Yorkshire/Kent,
Garrett, Kent
Petyt, Yorkshre/Kent
Sheehan, Ireland/Kent
Summersett, Kent
Webb, Kent

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 October 04 18:56 BST (UK) »
Kazza has a point about libraries and how people treat them.  It was the total disregard for other users in the record office that made me so annoyed.  The rules about drinks/food/pens etc. are there to protect the documents and microfilms/fiches, not the users!! 

There are often children in this office (around 11 - 14 years old) doing research for school projects etc. with their parents and this is great.  Make sure they know how to use the resources at that age and maybe they will appreciate them later.  By the way, the baby in my original posting was very good and much quieter than the parents!

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire