Author Topic: An afternoon in the record office......  (Read 2365 times)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
An afternoon in the record office......
« on: Sunday 17 October 04 17:13 BST (UK) »
Yesterday I went to the record office for the afternoon.  I'd been looking forward to this all week at work, as I can only go on Saturdays.  I live about an hour's drive away and hadn't been able to get there since August so my research had come to a bit of a halt and I was getting withdrawal symptoms.

The office wasn't busy, and I had barely started work on the parish registers when two visitors on the opposite desk started chatting loudly about Christmas cards.  Thankfully, after about half an hour, they both packed up and left.  I worked on,  but not long afterwards a couple arrived, with a child of about a year old in a pram.  To get to the records office they would have had to have carried the pram up two flights of stairs ...

They wanted to look at Census records, and the wife was upset to find that they were on cards in the office, and not on the internet.  Two assistants (including the Archivist) recommended that they should go to their County Records office which was nearer to them, and would have all the records they needed.  But they decided to stay and look at some parish registers instead, although the assistant told them they really needed to have booked a machine first.  One of the assistants found the right reel and set it up on a microfilm reader for them.  They parked the pram right up against the cabinets which housed the microfilm reels, just behind their machine.  After two or three requests from people for them to move it so that they could get to the cabinets, the wife eventually took the child out of the pram and gave it to her husband and then parked the pram by the lockers out of the way.

When the wife saw the microfilm, she said "Doesn't it have an index?  It's going to take us forever to look through this".

With the child on his lap, husband began looking through the film and reading out the relevant entries to his wife who was writing them down with a ball point pen.  After about ten minutes of this I had to ask him to be a bit quieter - it was difficult to concentrate on my Elizas, Emmas and Marys when he was talking about John, Henry and William about three feet away.  Not long after this the baby began to cry, so the wife brought out a feeding bottle to keep it quiet. 

It was only about half an hour to closing when her mobile phone rang.  She switched it off, and then immediately picked up the message which had been left.  Mercifully, it was nearly time to go but it had spoilt my afternoon which I had been looking forward to all week.

Do any Rootschatters have these problems or is it just me?  This record office is not noted for its helpful staff, although there are one or two exceptions who are extremely nice and make up a bit for the others.  Am I the only person who uses pencils and not pens as requested (I have seen people using ballpoints in other record offices even though there are large notices asking visitors to use pencils, and there are free pencils at reception).   Am I the only person who doesn't chat all the time.  (This is not the first time I've had to ask someone to be quieter - they were sitting under a sign asking visitors to maintain it as a "Quiet area").  Am I the only person not taking my lunch/drinks/sweets in with me to eat while I'm working?  And does anyone know if babies and small children are generally allowed into archive rooms?  Has anyone else been annoyed in any of these ways and if so, did you speak up or do anything about it?

If you think I am a sad person and a b.o.f. to follow the rules then that's what I am, but rules are there for sensible reasons and should be enforced by the assistants on duty.  Otherwise don't have them at all!

I'm glad to have been able to let off steam in the appropriate place, whether you agree with me or not.

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: An afternoon in the record office......
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 October 04 18:11 BST (UK) »
I am surprised the archivist wasn't jumping up and down -  the record offices I use are so quiet you daren't turn a page over hardly in case the paper rustles...and the embarresment if you get the fiche reader with the squeak !

We are not allowed pens into the room - the assistant archivist is a 'bulldog' and would 'have you' if you stepped out of line - I'm not telling you which one - in case she's waiting for me on Tuesday !

We have a small area in the hallway where we can eat - but bags, coats, files, everything has to be left in a locker - we are allowed 1 notebook & a pencil.  Although I do manage to smuggle in my own magnifying glass...and have got away with it so far !

I do like it that way - I agree, some people can be very annoying !
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline English Jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 October 04 13:40 BST (UK) »
It is for exactly that reason why I haven't been able to go to any sort of record office yet.  All of my research so far has been on the internet as I have a 3 year old daughter and nobody to babysit.  But just you wait till she starts nursery in January ... there's going to be no stopping me!!!  I presumed you couldn't take children into places like that ... and even if I thought you could, I wouldn't dream of taking mine ... how are you going to amuse them and do the stuff that you want to do.  It's just asking for trouble.
Letley, Kent/Anywhere ... Attempting a One Name Study.
Dunn, Yorkshire/Kent,
Garrett, Kent
Petyt, Yorkshre/Kent
Sheehan, Ireland/Kent
Summersett, Kent
Webb, Kent

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 October 04 13:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks both of you for your replies.  I just had to let off steam somewhere where people would understand!

I would love to do my research in Kathy's record office as it is just the sort of place I expected it to be when I started.  I use three different ones and the other two are much more organised - but they the county offices so are much bigger anyway and have more staff to check on what's going on.

I just wondered why either husband or wife couldn't look after the child while the other one did the research?  But I think my main grumble was that the archivist and his assistant didn't tell them how the office should be used and enforce the rules.  I'm sure that the other two offices I use would have been stricter.

Honeybun

Offline HannahJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 October 04 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Honeybun,

I can sympathise completely - I used to work in a library and the behaviour of some people was absolutely unbelievable. People seemed to go out of their way to annoy other users (and in particular, to use their mobile phones under the 'no mobile phones' sign). While I agree that the staff should have said something, where I worked people were threatened with physical violence for asking people to be quiet on more than one occasion - and this wasn't a public library! Maybe the staff, as we often did, had got sick of telling grown adults who ought to know better how to behave - after the first couple of hours you are really fed up of saying the same thing over and over again...especially when it isn't having any effect...  :(

Hannah
Looking for:
Baines - Lancaster; Bainbridge - Westmorland & Lancaster; Bodiam - Hollingbourne, Kent; Edmondson - West Riding / Lancashire border; Faraday - all West Riding; Pankhurst - East & West Farleigh, Kent; Parker - Giggleswick, West Riding; Waller & Redmayne - Ingleton, West Riding
and others...

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 October 04 18:16 BST (UK) »
Honeybun i would not have put up with that i would have sent a letter of complaint. Which i did do a couple of years ago to the Library in Liverpool.  Genealogy had got so popular by that time that you could no longer phone up and book a seat for tomorrow. I had to wait a couple of weeks at times.When i got there i sat next to a lady going through the St Caths Index. which was what i went for all could hear was Carraige out BANG Fitch in  Carraige in Bang. I asked her if she could be a little quieter. All i got was a glare in the end i finished up .My head was pounding i complained on the way out and havent been back since. Lot's of us have made complaints ,the other thing i have noticed is there is alway's a notice that say's Only Pencil's to be used in the library. Do they take notice no, me i got one of these notices the other day and put it in front of a man sitting at the table with a pen. Another dirty look but i dont care ,it gets me so mad >:(

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 October 04 21:45 BST (UK) »
Celia

You are so right that I should complain but I would have to send the letter to the Archivist and he was sitting at the reception desk all the time this was going on and didn't do a thing - he left it to one of his assistants!  I will find out who is his boss and complain to him - you're right it makes you so mad.

Honeybun

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 October 04 23:50 BST (UK) »
I think it starts in the libraries you know.  Libraries are no longer the quiet places they should be,  so people assume this is acceptable in record offices too.

I spend a lot of time in my local library and I am amazed at the number of people who have no idea how to behave in a library.  So many of them talk loudly on their mobile phones,  and last week a mother and her two children had a really loud arguement next to me as I tried to search the census.  It concluded with her giving them both a clout.

I am afraid I am a complainer,  if people are disturbing me I ask them to stop.  If that has no effect,  I tell them I will ask the staff to sort it out.  And then I do.

I take the view that if rude people who have no idea how to behave in a library are not told what is acceptable,  they will continue to cause a nuisance.  Maybe they have never been taught how to behave correctly.  I am quite happy to help them to learn.  ;)

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 October 04 15:12 BST (UK) »
Good For you Kazza, I was thinking, on reading my own post. That i had made myself look like  that,  when i walk into a room everyone looks up and think's "Oh God here comes mo-nin mary"Now i feel better ;D

Honeybun All libraries and most research centre's are in goverment building. so if you make a written complaint you have to send it to the correct council  department for that area.Which is Libraries & ? Not much use complaining to the
poor staff. They do there best. I once wrote a nice but not compaining letter to a librarie in another town. Not about poeple but the fact that it was impossible to see any monitor screens because of this and that. I ended it by saying "I wondered why there was never  many poeple there. Imagin my suprise when a month later i got a  lovely reply saying a member of the council had now visited the librarie. They totally agreed with the point's i had made ;D The librarie was  at this time undergoing some changed. Oh yes,as if thinks me. I went to vist the librarie and all the machines had been moved. I didnt know whether to jump for joy, be embarassed, or crawl under the table. It looked fantastic. So the gist of this story is  that  it is up to us to inform the council's of thing they are not aware of. You can bet your life you will see some changes ;)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885