Author Topic: *COMPLETED*anyone got access to look at OPR in Scoonie/Kettel  (Read 4232 times)

Offline sherylbadger

• RootsChat Member
  • Family Historian
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED*anyone got access to look at OPR in Scoonie/Kettel
« on: Friday 05 May 06 03:01 BST (UK) »
How do i go about finding out for sure who is parents are being that the marriage in 1853. Is anyone able to look at the OPR and see if it is worth buying. As it is not available for viewing on Scotlands people.

Here in Adelaide, South Australia i am able to go to local library the main one for each council and look at the BDM first hand no cost involved. Do you have a similar setup in Fife?

Here is the information.
Not sure which one/or both as they lived in both parishes. I think this is the same person and it is just registered twice.

I wish i could find out the parents

ROBERT MELDRUM
Marriages:
Spouse: JANE BIRREL
Marriage: 04 JUN 1853 Scoonie, Fife, Scotland

and

ROBERT MELDRUM
Marriages:
Spouse: JANE BIRRELL
Marriage: 22 MAY 1853 Kettle, Fife, Scotland
Millar, Laing, Meldrum,Birrel (Edinburgh, Fife)<br />Brown, Erskine, Barclay (Fife)<br />Gibb, Simpson, Robb, Adam (Inverurie, Aberdeen)<br />Jaffray, McKenzie Rogers (Aberdeen)<br />Badger (Scotland)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: anyone got access to look at OPR in Scoonie/Kettel
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 May 06 04:09 BST (UK) »
sherylbadger,

Usually what you see in the IGI are records of the Banns being proclaimed - usually (but not always!) the marriage took place subsequently; sometimes the date of the marriage is also in the OPR.  If the parties lived in different parishes, banns were usually proclaimed in each parish.

Often there is no further information than is in the IGI - but you might be lucky.

Films of the OPRs can be ordered into, and viewed at, your nearest LDS Family History centre for a small charge ($6 the last time I ordered one).  There are several LDS FHCs in Adelaide - you can find the locations on the FamilySearch website at:
http://www.familysearch.org/

JAP

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 May 06 04:24 BST (UK) »

Robert Meldrum died 24 February 1900 aged 72 widower of Jane Birell, his parents are listed as being

Father:  James Meldrum (Coachman, Domestic Servant)

Mother: Jane Meldrum nee Scott.

he died in Scoonie and his death was registered by James Meldrum Son.

Jane Meldrum nee Birrell died January 13 1884 aged 59 married to Robert Meldrum Ploughman

Her parents are listed as being

Father David Birrell (Ploughman)

Mother Ann Birrell nee Paton

Death registered by Robert Meldrum Husband

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline sherylbadger

• RootsChat Member
  • Family Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 May 06 04:35 BST (UK) »
Yeah thanks i downloaded the two certificates the other night.

With him being 72 when he died in 1900 puts his birth in 1828.  That is why i am trying to confirm parents too see if it is James Meldrum/Jean Scott on the IGI. 
Millar, Laing, Meldrum,Birrel (Edinburgh, Fife)<br />Brown, Erskine, Barclay (Fife)<br />Gibb, Simpson, Robb, Adam (Inverurie, Aberdeen)<br />Jaffray, McKenzie Rogers (Aberdeen)<br />Badger (Scotland)

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 May 06 04:42 BST (UK) »
You can order the image from Scotlandspeople for the Marriage... that should confirm the parents

Do you have the GROS reference number?

456/00 0004 for 4.6.1853 Robert Meldrum and Jane Birrell

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 May 06 04:47 BST (UK) »

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 May 06 04:49 BST (UK) »
well when I had a few credits going begging... (Since my lot are hiding deep in Scotlandspeople lol)

I do like to give a hand when I can ( as do you  ;D)

Off to my bed now...

Night

Mo

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 May 06 04:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Mo, I'm always happy to help.  But only when it involves spending time - not money  ;D  :o

Hi sherylbadger, It's helpful to provide a summary of what you already know - or at least cross-reference threads which are about the same people (or put all the correspondence on one thread).  This helps RootsChatters to help you and avoids duplication of effort  :D

Regards to all,

JAP

Offline sherylbadger

• RootsChat Member
  • Family Historian
    • View Profile
Re: *COMPLETED*anyone got access to look at OPR in Scoonie/Kettel
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 May 06 13:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all those who have helped me i have now some new information about Robert Meldrum and that he was the illegitamate son of Jean Scott.    I  have also got info on his Meldrum Grandmother Margaret but still searching for his father.

Aparently his mother Jean married a Andrew Anderson in 1832.  she died on 1886 with R Meldrum illegitamate son as the informant.

Thanks everyone for the help/support.