Author Topic: Census Look-up  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Census Look-up
« on: Sunday 17 October 04 23:27 BST (UK) »
Trying to discover how to look up FHL film 1375919, N film Number C-13283, District 186, sub-district B, Page number 15, Household number 76.  Live in Canada, where or how do I go further to view the household.  Cannot seem to find the 1881 census information for Manitoba other than as above.  Maybe Meh can give me a hint what to do next.  Thanks  Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Census Look-up
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 October 04 00:13 BST (UK) »
You need the nearest Church of the Latter Day Saints that has a family history library. There are many in Canada. Just put "LDS family history Canada" into your browser and you will see all of the addresses.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 October 04 02:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Hackstaple: 

Thx for your reply - realized that point.  Nearest place is in Winnipeg and am aware of it.  Dilema is am presently primary care giver for 92 year old father. .  Hv 4 hours off with Day Home Care each week, - would not give me enough time to do this going to Wpg. and back.  Any one have other suggestions.?  My next day off will be spent in Portage and plan to visit local library and archives there.  Perhaps they could bring in a fiche of the 1981 census. from Archives Canada?   Marquette, Westbourne would fall into Portage area (I think).  Will be making a trip to the cemetary for this area with camera (known as Westbourne Cemetary) so if anyone needs a pic, let me know. 

While asking questions, has anyone had any experience dealing with the Hudson Bay Archives?  Any advice about approaching them for information. gratefully rcvd.  This man and my G.Grandfather were both surveyors for the Hudson Bay Company.  My G. Grandfather married one (?) of Albright's daughters, Elizabeth  - thus she is my G. Grandmother.   Guess that makes George Albright my GG Grandfather.  This George Albright was born in Ireland. - oh well one step at a time - so many George Albrights and until I get more info than a birth year, will be mind boggling problem.   Thx.  Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 04 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Re: Hudson Bay Archives and LDS film,  Have you tried posting a message on our Canada board asking about a lookup,  you naver know,  someone may be going to Winnipeg and take pity on you.  ;)

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 November 04 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kazza:

Some kind person found this information and sent it to me.  Not all of it was correct in the LDS film, but it was most helpful.

I hv a relative in Scotland investigating the hiring of Shelties from that end and hv asked a cousin to go to the HBC archives and see what they can find.

Finally figured out how to enter the Manitoba Vital Stats records for BMD's (100,90 80 yrs) which has been very helpful.  Secret is to only put in SURNAME - was giving too much info.

Also want to tell everyone that I have learned to cut and paste - know that sounds silly, but hv had "some" success at it.  ::)

Thanks to all.

Lauraine

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 November 04 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I  am glad you have had success,  of all sorts.  ;D  Cut and paste is a great tool,  saves so much time,  and no-one is born knowing how to do it.  We all learnt it.  ;D

So now you are passing on tips to other users,  putting in the minimum information for a search is a good point.  You can always try to narrow the results when you see what is returned first time around.

Well done,

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 November 04 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kazza:

Thank you.

The tip for searching Manitoba Vital Statistics (can be googled) is a necessity.  I tried for months and could never get anything out of the darn thing and knew I had the correct dates - tried everything for old deaths, marriages and births.  Voila - decided to just try surname and it spewed out the information.

DO NOT PUT ANYTHING MORE THAN SURNAME into Manitoba Vital Statistics site when searching for older BMD's.  100 years ago population was not very large, so very few names have more than a couple of pages (are exceptions with 400).  Of course if you want to order ceritificates, once you have the registration no. - which is given with all BMD records, you are all set.  Happy searching all.  Off to try and find old photos of the 90th Winnipeg Rifles who fought in the Louis Riel Rebellion. 

Lauraine