Author Topic: How Do I get rid of marks on skin?  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How Do I get rid of marks on skin?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 May 06 14:19 BST (UK) »
What I did was use the healer brush really really slowly, click move ..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move......argggg my eyes!!!
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tabsearch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Whitfield Longley 1894 - 1972
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 May 06 14:21 BST (UK) »
I put the face on a separate layer and used the Gausean Blur filter to blur the face just enough to hide the marks. I then erased the edges of the face, eyebrows, nostrills, lips, mustache, etc on the face layer to sharpen these areas.

David
Please feel free to colour or improve for the benefit of the poster but an acknowledgement would be appreciated

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 May 06 14:30 BST (UK) »
What I did was use the healer brush really really slowly, click move ..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move..... click move......argggg my eyes!!!

Might be a bit quicker with my Virtual Photographer filters - ASA 25 and various effects, Sharon  ;) That's if I remember to lighten it first  :o

Saves the eyes  8)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline vhansen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 May 06 14:57 BST (UK) »
Keith
The best method for something like this (without doing a lot of tedious work) it Neat Image.  The trick is to apply the filter to just the areas that need it, and not the entire image.

Slightly off topic, but, it seems to me as if this wasn't scanned correctly, or something like auto levels or auto contrast was already used - and not with good results. The image is too contrasty, which could be contributing to the texture you're trying to remove. I've posted something with less contrast.

Finally, although these old photos can look quite bad when blown up on screen, often, they will print much better (as long as you don't try to blow them up in print).  Viewing at about 50% magnification should give you an idea of how your print will look.
Vikki

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 May 06 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Many thanks for all you comments - will have a go at a few of the suggestions.

Vikki,
As far as I now I have only just done a basic scan with this one - will double check I didn't put on one of the photos I had started to work on!

I have used neat image - but never get excellent results (probably because I only use the free version!!)

Will have another go later.

Cheers

Keith

P.S. Must read up sometime on what all those filters in photoshop do - I have said before I only use 5% of it!!
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 May 06 21:45 BST (UK) »
The trick is to apply the filter to just the areas that need it, and not the entire image.

Shows you I am as bad as the rest when it comes to reading instructions!!
I have only just read about doing partial filtration - I presume that is what you mean Vikki.

it seems to me as if this wasn't scanned correctly

I have now realised I have 2 near identical photos - I think the first was just a cut down version - so have scanned the larger one - but think I have the same result.
It seems strange that 2 photos would have gone exactly the same way -  but hey what do I know.

Will try all your suggestions in turn - and see.

Here is the second photo scanned.

Thanks again

Keith

Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 May 06 21:47 BST (UK) »
Keith

Is it just his face or is the rippling all over?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 May 06 21:52 BST (UK) »
It's just that it could be some skin disease if it's only the face. I notice that the eyes look fine. The photograph wouldn't just deteriorate on his face if it was ageing or emulsion problems.

Gadget

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 May 06 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Now you say that  - I think it is much more pronouced on hi face - the shirt has some crackling - but it does not show up on the suite - perhaps because of the dark colour?

Here is an enlarged one of his chin

By the way how old do you think he is when the hpto was taken?

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails