Author Topic: Ames family of Flint  (Read 3663 times)

Offline hawkeye_1967

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ames family of Flint
« on: Saturday 06 May 06 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,
I am posting this again, as I had made a mistake in the previous post.
My greatgrandad, George Bain, was adopted by Elizabeth Ames (nee Jones) of Bodvari. He lived with her in Flint from at least age 4 (1881) until he left to be a footballer in Lancashire at some point before 1901, when he is on the census in St. Helens, lodging with another family from Flint called Roberts.
This lady, Elizabeth Ames, lived until she was 85 (died in 1906) so I am hoping that the trail in Flint has not yet gone cold. I have her death vertificate, and her death was reported by her grandson, Robert Jones of Halkin Road, Coleshill Fawr. She was 56 when she adopted my greatgrandad. I think that he was 'born out of wedlock' and adopted by Elizabeth Ames. George was born in Liverpool, so any links from Flint to Liverpool around that time would be very helpful.
Do any of there names ring any bells? Please!
Lisa Hawkins.

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ames family of Flint
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 06 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Do you have any idea why on the 1891 census Elizabeth is Elizabeth Owens?

Paul.

Offline hawkeye_1967

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 06 19:12 BST (UK) »
Paul,
I really have no idea to be honest. I just put it down to a census-taker's error.
It is definitely her though, as George Bain(es) is still with her then, and they are still living on Mount Street, Flint.
Another confirmation for me is that her birthplace is Bodfari and the age tallies too.
Do you have any interest in Elizabeth Ames?
Lisa.

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 May 06 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa, no I dont have an interest in Elizabeth, I just do  Flintshire look-ups.

Also on the 1871 Joseph Ames 48, Blacksmith, born Flint is a widow living with his son Thomas.
If it's the same Joseph did he marry Elizabeth before 1881?

If you look at the message a couple down from your's, Hargreaves and Crump burials Mold, posted by Debbie
there is a connection with an Ames Family from Bodfari.

Paul.

Offline hawkeye_1967

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 May 06 21:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Peter,
sounds like you might be a useful man to know  ;).
As far as I can find out, Elizabeth Jones married Joseph Ames in 1869. His name is spelt 'Jospeh' in the BMD marriage listing. Elizabeth Jones had been married before, and her maiden name was Williams. I haven't even tried to find her first marriage to be honest, due to the volume of Williams and Jones I would have to wade through  :o.
In fact I have just bitten the bullet and had a look - I have found her, married to Thomas Jones, with children Leah, Robert, Hannah and Mary Ann - on the 1861 census.
I don't really understand why then, on the 1871 census, she was living with her mother, Elizabeth Williams and her two children, Hannah and Mary Ann - as at that point she should have been married? It looks like I have got confused somewhere along the line....
I have hit a brick wall with my g-grandad George Bain(es) as I can't even locate his birth certificate. My only way forward now is to try and find a descendant of Elizabeth Ames/Jones/Williams or Joseph Ames, as they brought George up from a small boy.
It goes without saying that any help or advice you can give would be very much appreciated.
Thanks again.
Lisa.

Thanks for the direction to the other post - I have posted there too now.

Offline hawkeye_1967

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 May 06 20:14 BST (UK) »
A small update:
I have managed to get in touch with a descendant of the Ames family  ;D so we are comparing family trees at the moment. We have confirmed that it is the same family so hopefully we can make some headway now...
Hawkeye.