Author Topic: walsworth family portsmouth  (Read 4904 times)

Offline jan.jan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
walsworth family portsmouth
« on: Saturday 06 May 06 21:12 BST (UK) »
Is anybody doing the Walsworth family who lived in Portsmouth.

Henry William married an Adeline Cains and they had 9 children

Any links appreciated

Offline cartside

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: walsworth family portsmouth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 January 10 21:30 GMT (UK) »
I am the historian for Chess Scotland. I am brand new to the site, and have noticed an old listing about  a Horace Walsworth buried in New Kilpatrick cemetery. I have a little information about HJN Walsworth, as he was active in Glasgow/Scottish chess circles.

Do you still need this information?

Offline jan.jan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 January 10 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello there.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I'd appreciate any information on the Walsworth family.
They originated in  Portsmouth and some travelled to Scotland and settled there

Many thanks

Jan in Hampshire

Offline cartside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 January 10 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Jan,

Here are the references I have for Horace Norman James Walsworth (I accidentally mixed the initials in my earlier post and showed HJN in error). This information will eventually appear on the Chess Scotland website as part of a listing of biographical details for players and personalities.

From the British Chess Magazine 1938, page 453: (Reporting on several deaths, the BCM simply stated)
H.J.N. Walsworth, a strong player whose name has figured prominently in tournaments in Scotland. [Note that the BCM also had the initials in the wrong order - Alan]

From The Glasgow Herald of August 26, 1938:
The death took place in Glasgow on Tuesday of H.N.J. Walsworth, of the Central and Glasgow Clubs. Mr Walsworth was a native of the South of England. He received a Customs appointment in Glasgow after the war, and soon took an active place amongst the leading local players. From 1921 until recently he played for Central, and was one of their League and Richardson stalwarts in the palmy days of that club. He was also a member of Glasgow CC, and played regularly in their competitions, making good scores. Mr Walsworth was 46, and was for some time in but indifferent health from heart trouble.

Notes:
The death certificate confirms the date of death and notes that death took place at the Western Infirmary, Glasgow. It shows that his occupation was Customs and Excise Officer, and that he was married to Jean Armstrong Macleod. The home address was 75 Spiers Road, Bearsden, and his daughter Moira Walsworth has signed as the informant. His age is shown as 47.

Notes:
Walsworth participated in the Scottish Championships of 1925, 1929, 1932, 1934 and 1937.
He was also on the Central Chess Club team in the Richardson Cup finals of 1925, 1926, 1929 and 1933.

The information about Mr Walsworth in the Scottish Championships and Richardson Cup competitions is already posted on the website at www.chessscotland.com

The home page is not too friendly, but look at the menu top left, click Champions, and that will bring you to a list of events from 1884 onwards. You can then see the individual years I have mentioned.

At the bottom of that page you will see Richardson Cup. Click for detailed results of the years mentioned.

A small point, but excuse me if you already know this:
His residence as mentioned on the death certificate, 75 Spiers Road, Bearsden - Bearsden used to be called New Kilpatrick. I have always known Bearsden by that name. It is in East Dunbartonshire.

I have a copy of the death certificate. Death was registerd August 24th, 1938 at Glasgow. The cause of death is shown (I think) as Myocarditis - it is hard to read but is the most like of the medical terms related to heart disease.

Let me know if you want this, although I will need to look at FAQ to figure out how to post it to you here!

Jane, if there is any information you can help me with, I would be grateful. For example, date and place of birth would complete the very basic biographical information. It would also be good to have a photo of Mr Walsworth.

Regards,
Alan McGowan, Historian, Chess Scotland
PS If you need to communicate through other channels, you will find an email address for me on the Chess Scotland web pages under CS Contacts.

Offline Robyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 12 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

I  know you posted this a long time ago but I too am researching the same family. My family are descended from John Walsworth who I am sure was Henry's brother. I  have Henry born in 1859 to Henry William Walsworth and Martha Emma .

If these are indeed your side then we are doing the same tree.

Let  me know so we can perhaps compare what we have got.

regards

Robyn
Buckinghamshire - Tyrrell
                            - Headdy
                            - Daniels (and var)
Hampshire           - Tyrrell
                            - Craven
                            -Body
-
                            - Walsworth

Offline jan.jan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 March 12 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Robyn

I've got Henry William Walsworth born Dec qtr 1859 Greenwich, of Henry Walsworth and Martha.

Regards

Jan

Offline Robyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes this certainly sounds the same family although the census in 1881 and 1891 have Henry born in Portsmouth and not Greenwich.
He married Adeline and I have children
Frederick 1882
Amy 1883
Ethel 1886
Nellie 1887
Gladys 1889
Horace 1891
Irving 1896
Harold 1900

I also have a Douglas coming in about 1891 but not sure.

Does this tally with what you know?

Henry was the eldest of about 8 children
Martha Maria Jane 1861
Sarah Ann 1863
Emily 1868
John 1870 (my relative)
Florence1872
Rosina 1874
Edwin 1880

How much info have you managed to get?

looking forward to you reply.
Regards
Robyn
Buckinghamshire - Tyrrell
                            - Headdy
                            - Daniels (and var)
Hampshire           - Tyrrell
                            - Craven
                            -Body
-
                            - Walsworth

Offline Simon Walsworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I am looking into the Walsworths
I am very new to this please so forgive any lapses in protocol
I am Simon, son of Donald Henry (b 1929 and still living in the Portsmouth area). I am the great, great great grandson of of John and Jane (b. circa 1800)
Particularly interested in Ivor Clifton Walsworth (1909-1978) composer.
In another thread it is mentioned that Henry William (1839-1909 - baptised 1839 but birth date probably more like 1834) served in the Crimean war and was awarded campaign medals. May father has those medals and, when i get a chance, i will photograph them and share with whoever's interested.
I also have quiet a few photos of my family members from my grandparent's generation which i can also share (when i work out how to do it on this site).

Nice to meet you
Simon

Offline jan.jan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Simon. I've sent you a private message with my E.Mail address. Jan