Author Topic: anna harris  (Read 2587 times)

Offline noname

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
anna harris
« on: Monday 08 May 06 12:33 BST (UK) »
I am looking for info about one of my ancestors, Anna Harris born1857, have found her on the 1861 census, but nothing after that, have tried marriage, death etc., no luck, she was born in St philips Bristol, parents names, William and Eliza Harris, 1861 census ST Philip and St Jacobs Bristol, can anyone help.

Thanks

Noname

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: anna harris
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 06 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Noname

Welcome to Rootschat!  :D

I think there is a chance this is Anna with her siblings in 1871:

RG10/2556/89/35

1 Flook's Court, St Phillip, Bristol

William VICKERY H M 26 - labourer
Eliza W M 24
Edward son 1 -
Mary Ann dau 7 - scholar
William son 8 - scholar
John HARRIS bro in law 17 - labourer
Ann HARRIS sister in law 15

All born Bristol

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 06 14:21 BST (UK) »
Here is a likely marriage:

Marriage

William VICKERY

Eliza HARRIS

Bristol  Vol 6a Page 105

Dec 1867

(2 other names on page)

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline noname

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 May 06 19:11 BST (UK) »

Hello, thanks for the info but I don't think this is the Anna Harris I am looking for, her fathers name was William Harris and mothers maiden name Eliza Phelps, they were born 1821/22 which would have made them about 49years old on the 1871 census.

If you have anymore info would be pleased to hear from you.

Many thanks

noname 

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 May 06 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again Noname

I couldn't find William & Eliza HARRIS on the 1871 census.

The family I transcribed are, I believe, Anna with her brother John and her older sister Eliza, who has married William VICKERY.  Loooking at the 1861 census, Eliza'a age fits perfectly.

It may well be that the parents have died by 1871 and Eliza has taken in her brother and sister.

I notice that William & Eliza VICKERY are at the same address as the HARRIS family were in 1861.

They are also in this street in 1881 ( RG11/2498/115/27 ) , with John but not Anna.  However next door is an Anne, the right age & birthplace to be your Anna.  She is married to a Joseph DUFF?? (hard to read).  I spent some time today looking for a marriage of Anna HARRIS to Joseph DUFF??, but didn't find one.

You say you have looked for a marriage for Anna - have you used the full index?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline noname

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 12:47 BST (UK) »

Hello,

I now understand, what confused me was that Eliza and Williams children were the same names as Eliza's older brothers and sisters, you clever person, as you can probably tell I am new on this site. sorry I must have seemed very thick to you, I'm not usually honest, well perhaps sometimes, can I get back to you as there are a few members of that family I cannot trace, will investigate Duff.

Thank you so very much for the info.

Best wishes noname 

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 12:55 BST (UK) »
I can quite understand your confusion!

The man married to Anne is surname DUFF-something.  It looks like DUFFELLY or something like that.  It could be a complete coincidence, but might be worth a try.  Will ask another Rootschatter to take a look for you.

;)

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 13:19 BST (UK) »
Here's another rootschatter  :D  :D

I think his name looks like Duffeley or Duffetey.

Tracing him back, I wonder if he is the one called Joseph Duffeter, 18, Gipsey, birthplace unknown to be found in Frampton Cotterell in 1871.
I can see a Duffitty family in 1891 in Gloucestershire who seem to be travellers.

I can't find little Anne's birth registration on the incomplete index, nor can I see Anna & Joseph's marriage.

I agree with Arranroots that the Harris parents have probably died between 1861 and 1871, otherwise Eliza probably wouldn't have her siblings staying with her.

Tanja  :)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 13:24 BST (UK) »
By 1891 the Joseph in Flook Court's name reads DUFTY and his wife is Fanny - only 32 years of age, so too young to be the same wife as 1881.  Then again, Joseph's age has altered dramatically to 55!

In 1871 there is a possible Joseph, 18, who is a gypsy. - Ah just see that Tanja found him too!

This could all be a red herring!

A  ;)

Thanks for looking Tanja!