Author Topic: Putting flesh on the bones  (Read 8215 times)

Offline adicol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Putting flesh on the bones
« on: Tuesday 09 May 06 10:21 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

Does anyone know where I can find info about how our ancestors lived, ate, dressed etc for the 1600s and 1700s.
I want to build a greater picture of their lives, and the things going on at the time.
I have done a few googles, but nothing has come up yet to quench my appetite...

Many Thanks,

Colleen
DUR; Stephenson, Wray, Collier, Lowther,Rothery
GLA; Jones, Allen, Holland, Nicholas,George,Lewis
ESS; Davey
W.Yorks; Martin, Hodgson, Tyler,Harrold
LAN; Dodd, Constable, Brinkley
Guernsey; Le Riche

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Putting flesh on the bones
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 15:24 BST (UK) »
There are books available, e.g Food in early modern England, that sort of thing.  They ate a lot of meat, I believe, and had unbelievably sweet tooths - er - teeth - I think.  I think you're interested in social history.  How about reading up about women's history?  There's a good book called The Fourth Estate, a history of women by Shulahar Shahith, I think her name is.  And books by e.g. Vanessa Harding.  I have Pleasures and Pastimes in Tudor England and you can get the same sort of thing for Medieval England.  Also in the same series I believe there is a book about Food in Tudor England.  Try doing a search or browsing in eBay.
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Colleen,

As MrsLizzy has said there are many books out there, I have The Cottage Homes of England by Stewart Dick and Helen Allingham which you might find of interest it covers the homes of ordinary people and the growth of farm and village. On the food side of it you could get  a small series of books from English Heritage entitled "Food and Cooking in..............." they cover from Roman Britain to the 19th century and there are about seven in the collection. For life in London you could also have a look at "Life in Stuart London" by Peggy Miller which again might be of interest to you. I would imagine that you could get the The cottage homes and Life in Stuart London from your local library.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline adicol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info, looks like a trip to waterstones is on the cards.

Colleen
DUR; Stephenson, Wray, Collier, Lowther,Rothery
GLA; Jones, Allen, Holland, Nicholas,George,Lewis
ESS; Davey
W.Yorks; Martin, Hodgson, Tyler,Harrold
LAN; Dodd, Constable, Brinkley
Guernsey; Le Riche

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 17:50 BST (UK) »
Don't forget to look in the children's section. Some of the DK (DorningKindersley I think) ranges are excellent for plain and simple facts with great visual images.

Better still, borrow the kids' books from the library and then move up to the adults' books which may take more reading.

Cheers, RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Colleen

I don't know whether you've seen this thread. it's mainly 19th century but it might be worth a glance or two:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,153401.0.html

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 21:04 BST (UK) »
You know, I was laughed at when I was doing my degree for being interested in social history (although it was on the curriculum!!) but there are so many questions: how did people clean their teeth before there was toothpaste?  what did they use instead of soap? what did they do when they got sick? had babies? how did they go to the loo before plumbing?  We just do things today without even thinking most of the time about the things we're using, or wondering what we'd have done a few hundred years ago.  And I think not thinking is a Bad Thing!  ;D ;D
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 22:47 BST (UK) »
You know, I was laughed at when I was doing my degree for being interested in social history (although it was on the curriculum!!) but there are so many questions: how did people clean their teeth before there was toothpaste?

Salt, bicarbonate of soda, ash, crushed shells

what did they use instead of soap?

Clay or ash mixed with fat, depends how far back you want to go the Romans used oils which they scraped off with a strigil.

what did they do when they got sick?

Used herbal remedies, many of which form the basis of todays medicines

had babies?

Childbirth was well understood in earlier times we must remember that the country was an agricultural economy and birth was a common sight.
Unfortunately hygiene was not given a high priority and so many babies died.
Pain relief would not normally be given but alcohol may have been used at times.

how did they go to the loo before plumbing?  We just do things today without even thinking most of the time about the things we're using, or wondering what we'd have done a few hundred years ago.  And I think not thinking is a Bad Thing!  ;D ;D

The same way as people go to the loo today if caught out in the wilds of the country, leaves grass etc. may be used to replace paper.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.