Author Topic: Putting flesh on the bones  (Read 8213 times)

Offline adicol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Putting flesh on the bones
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 09:21 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

There are so many questions I want to know the answer to...I think the kids books are a great starting point, to give me a basis, and they also will include more simple things, I just want to try and build a picture of them, unfortunately, my ancestors were not wealthy, so I have nothing to visualise with, like paintings etc.
I want them to seem more real.

DUR; Stephenson, Wray, Collier, Lowther,Rothery
GLA; Jones, Allen, Holland, Nicholas,George,Lewis
ESS; Davey
W.Yorks; Martin, Hodgson, Tyler,Harrold
LAN; Dodd, Constable, Brinkley
Guernsey; Le Riche

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 09:40 BST (UK) »
Adicol, why not put some of the questions that you want answers to on here? you never know there maybe one or two of us who could give you the answer or even point you in the right direction.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 15:16 BST (UK) »
That's right: just look at Guy's post with ALL the answers to my questions.  What a guy! (Sorry!)
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 15:26 BST (UK) »
A very good thread!
Reminds me of a time when we lost the electric's at home,youngest Daughter was distraught,"What shall we do for cooking?"
Standing next to a gas stove!
                Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Adicol, I'm not sure if it would be too far to travel but Manchester's Science and Industry museum has a truly excellent exhibition of what life was like through the ages - it doesn't just concentrate on the industrial revolution but also on agricultural life.

I also agree with RuthieB - I have a 4 yr old and once a week we visit the local library and I'm quite happy reading the kids books about Edwardian and Victorian times etc.  It's nice easy reading and the facts seem to stick in my mind more than trawling through a book with thousands of pages.
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 15:35 BST (UK) »
Colleen

There is another way to find out about clothing in the 1600's & 1700's and thats from some re-enactment sites.

A lot of re-enactors these days do try to dress as authentic as possible and I know from my re-enactment society The English Civil War Society there are a lot of 'experts' on 17c clothing some of whom have done extensive research before making their clothes.

I expect this is the same of other Societies as re-enactment has come a long way from the 1990's so if you see any events advertised near where you live do pop along and ask your questions. You will find folk are only too willing to talk about their hobby. Most of them do Living History which will not only show you what was used in that period but more often than not what and how they fed themselves. (The food is generally for re-enactors consumption not for public but they get to whatch them eat.)

Not sure what part of the country you live - or even if you are in England, but if you are there is a big event August Bank Holiday in Detling Kent where you will find re-enactors from the Vikings right up to WWII.

For ECWS 17c there is a big event at Newport Shropshire May Bank Holiday weekend.

Jean  
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 20:08 BST (UK) »
Oooh Jean!  My mum, stepfather and brother are all in . . . . The SEALED KNOT!!!  the opposition!  Never mind, though, I have a cousin in your lot.   Apparently when his mum found out he was a royalist she was mortified!  I'm pleased though, as it means I'm no longer the Black Sheep of the Family!
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley