Author Topic: Criminal record - Louisa PONTIN  (Read 5384 times)

Offline Ruth17

• RootsChat Member
  • My grandparents John & Sarah Evans
    • View Profile
Criminal record - Louisa PONTIN
« on: Wednesday 10 May 06 15:33 BST (UK) »
I have found a possible relation in Marlborough Bridewell in 1841. Does anyone know how I can find out the story behind her imprisonment?

Ruth
WITHERS, BEVAN, PARNELL, TOVEY & MINETT, Thornbury GLS;EVANS Amberley GLS & B'ham post 1872; VINCENT Burbage WIL & Avening GLS; WEST & BISHOP, Tetbury GLS; RATCLIFFE Kemble & Rodmarton GLS;

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Criminal record - Louisa Pontin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 June 06 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth
One way would be to look up the court and prison records for the period.    The WSRO holds information on people awaiting trial in the various prisons, including Marlborough, information on sentencing etc.   Another source of infomation may be the local papers of the period.   Normally they would report the results of Quarter Sessions etc.
Give me a reminder in a few days via this board and I'll see if I can help further.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Ruth17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 June 06 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave
Many thanks for your reply. Since putting up the message, I decided to email WSRO to see if they could help. They were able to tell me that Louisa was  convicted of stealing turnip greens on 14th May 1841, fined 9s 6d, and sentenced to a month's hard labour.
The information came from an index - aptly called Rough Justice.

I'm not sure whether there is more information available about Louisa. Some QS records that  I have seen for Gloucestershire offenders have given physical details - hair/ eye colour, height, scars etc. Do you know whether Wilts has similar records?

Ruth

WITHERS, BEVAN, PARNELL, TOVEY & MINETT, Thornbury GLS;EVANS Amberley GLS & B'ham post 1872; VINCENT Burbage WIL & Avening GLS; WEST & BISHOP, Tetbury GLS; RATCLIFFE Kemble & Rodmarton GLS;

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 June 06 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,
I guess justice was rough in those days.   I was doing some research for someone overseas and his ancestor stole 40 pounds.   Sentance death - commuted to transportation for life.
Next time I'm in the WSRO I'll have a look for more info.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 June 06 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth
I had a look at the actual Summary Conviction - a printed form with gaps to fill in.   The information given, missing out the flowery language, is as follows.

On 14 May 1841, Louisa Pontin was convicted at Pewsey, Wiltshire by George Wroughton Wroughton, Esq, Justice of the Peace.   On 30 Apr 1841, in the parish of Wooton Rivers, she stole a quantity of turnip greens, value two pence (2d).   They were the property of a Thomas Somerset.   She was sentenced to pay 2d for the damages incurred plus 4d as a fine plus nine shillings (9/-) for costs,   total 9/6d.   Failure to pay would result in her serving one calender month hard labour at Marlborough House of Correction or less if or when the money was paid.

Obviously to me the woman was desperate to steal turnip tops and had no chance of coughing up 9/6d - a not insubstantial sum in 1841.

Hope it helps fill in the gaps, cheers Dave

Offline Ruth17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 February 07 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave

I have just found your extra information about Louisa Pontin that you looked up at WRO last June! You must think me very rude & ungrateful that I did not reply sooner - I'm not sure why I didn't get a message from Rootschat. But I owe you a big apology.

Better late than never, I hope, to say a sincere thank you for the extra information.

As you say, if Louisa was desperate for the food, she would have no chance of finding the 9 shillings cost  in addition to her fine & the value of the greens - so that explains why she was in prison on census night.

Thank you again
Ruth

Offline jemwinder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Winder Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth

Just found your lousia Pontin link, while doing a search on google for Pontin in pewsey

I dont have a Louisa in my Tree but I do have a George Pontin son of John Pontin, I belive that a George Pontin married a Louisa so it may be the same one you mention with the Criminal Record

Let me know

My connection is through Maurice Pontin Georges Brother

Best Regards

Jeremy
winder, watts, harrington, piper, pannel, mumford, hobbs, walters

Offline Ruth17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 April 07 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeremy

This could well be the same George & Louisa.

Louisa was nee Miles - and it is the Miles family that I am most interested in - Louisa's sister Sarah Miles was my great great grandmother.

George Pontin married Sarah Miles on 25th Nov 1837 at Preshute, Wilts. George was 'of Savernake Park' and son of John Pontin sawyer. One of the witnesses was John Pontin too. Whether this was George's father or maybe a brother or other relatave is not clear.

Interestingly, I note that George & Louisa called their first son Morris.

regards
Ruth

Offline jemwinder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Winder Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 April 07 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sounds like we have a match, George Pontin was the son of John Pontin 1792 Wilcot, and Pheby johnson 1787 wilcot.

Ive managed to trace the pontin line back to 1762 Joseph and Elizabeth (nee Hailstone) which then on her side goes back to 1610 JOhn hailstone.

Do you have any info on Louisa and George you could share, especially about her prison account

Many thanks
jeremy
winder, watts, harrington, piper, pannel, mumford, hobbs, walters