Author Topic: What was the saddest death in your Tree ?  (Read 63923 times)

Offline Matty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT WAS THE SADDEST DEATH IN YOUR TREE?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 13:59 BST (UK) »
This was my very first find. I came accross this sad event when I first started to search for my family.

"Holcombe Long ago" by the Rev. Henry Dowsett

"Tragedies" page 71/72

Richmael Smith lived at Middle Doe Farm westerly of Robin Hoods Well.  She was sent out in a snow storm to borrow candles from a neighbouring homestead and got lost over Alden Ratchers towards Edgeworth.   

Richmael lies buried in a Tottington Church Yard, date of burial 10th March 1837.  :'(

This was my Father's Great Aunt and a true family story of the tragedy.   :'(  I have never found where she was buried.

Matty :'(
McDermott Yorkshire & Ireland 
McNutt Lancashire &  Donegal Ireland 
McKinly Donegal Ireland
Culbert Donegal Ireland
Richardson Donegal Ireland
Booth,Crompton, Hamer, Jackson, Nuttall, Smith and Ward from Lancashire

"So near and yet so far"

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Re: What was the saddest death in your tree ?
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 14:15 BST (UK) »
 ;) ;)

This is a photo of St Anne's CofE Church, Tottington, Bury - could this be the graveyard mentioned ??

:) :) :)
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Matty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Mobo, 
Thankyou for the photo - it's lovely another to add to my collection. 

The rev Henry Dowsett wrote two books from "Church Magazines".  Also in the 1841 onwards Tottington Lower End coverd Holcombe.  I have searched at the library on all Totting Church M I's but not found anything.  Thanks for your help Mobo

Matty :)
McDermott Yorkshire & Ireland 
McNutt Lancashire &  Donegal Ireland 
McKinly Donegal Ireland
Culbert Donegal Ireland
Richardson Donegal Ireland
Booth,Crompton, Hamer, Jackson, Nuttall, Smith and Ward from Lancashire

"So near and yet so far"

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 15:33 BST (UK) »
my sad death in the family is found here !

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,25326.0.html
                                                  :'(
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Sueh2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Ward 1902-1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 16:13 BST (UK) »
I have done some research into the previous occupants of my present home which is a cottage in Cornwall. My research has also included the cottages and farms nearby.

When I read Mobo's post about us remembering our forebears it reminded me of a sad tale about one of the occupants of our house.

Elizabeth Jane was born illegitimate in 1870 and was brought up by her mother's brother Philip and his wife Jane. Philip and Jane had no children of their own so I like to think that Elizabeth was a real gift to them and brought joy into their lives.

When Elizabeth was 23 she fell in love with the handsome blacksmith William who lived just along the lane from her ( in our cottage )

Elizabeth and William were married in the village church on December 23rd 1893, before long Elizabeth was expecting their first child. Because I'm an old romantic I like to believe that they were very happy and looking foward to the new arrival.

However in July 1894 Elizabeth dies of eclampsia. She has a lovely gravestone not far from the porch of the village church with the words ' In the midst of life we are in death'.

I wonder who payed for it ? Perhaps it was her aunt and uncle who loved her and could afford the cost.

Anyway each year on the anniversary of Elizabeth's death I lay some flowers on her grave for I wonder how many other people alive now know her sad story.

Sue

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
E Yorks: HALL, HARLEY, HARVEY, HULLAH, PORTER, PRESTON.
Essex: HARVEY, SMITH. ONG, HUMM/HUME
Norfolk: TUCK
Lincs: ADAMS, HOLLAND.

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Re: What was the saddest death in your tree ?
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 16:32 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)

What a sad sad story Mr G.

As I know from personal experience, life is never fair at the best of times, but back then it was even more harsh.

Did you manage to find the lady's grave ?

;) ;) ;)
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 16:41 BST (UK) »
Fascinating and very sad stories - but what on earth is a thread like this doing in a forum called the Lighter Side ......!!

Mine involve three children who died within three weeks of each other - all of scarletina - all the children wiped out at once, but luckily (for me!) my 2xgreat grandmother went on to have another  ...!

Offline familysearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 16:53 BST (UK) »
mine is my husband's grandmother's first husband who died in an accident at work less than a year after they were married and a month after the birth of their first child.

Sue
Geen - Glamorgan/Devon/Birmingham
Lewis - Glamorgan/Monmouthshire
Cutter - Co Durham/Northumberland/Yorkshire
Hunter - Co Durham/Northumberland/Yorkshire
Siveter/Siviter - Birmingham

Census infromation is  Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 17:02 BST (UK) »
And then of course there is the tragic story of my gt-gt-grandfather's second cousin Caroline Sherwood who for whatever reason (and now I'm sure her state of mind would have been properly looked into), strangled her 5-year-old daughter, also called Caroline, in Hove, East Sussex, in 1853.
Caroline was tried at Lewes and sentenced to death by hanging, fainting in Court when the sentence was announced.
However, thankfully, her death sentence was changed to transportation - though I still have not discovered what eventually happened to her.
On her daughter's death certificate is the sad entry under Cause of Death:  "Wilful murder by her mother"...
Keith