Author Topic: Can someone help/advise on this pickle?  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Rachel_79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can someone help/advise on this pickle?
« on: Sunday 14 May 06 10:47 BST (UK) »
Im hoping someone can help me out of this little pickle..... My nan Eugene T Playle (maiden name Fairfield)....I know little or nothing about her family....

I ordered her birth certificate and it has arrived but there is no father's name on it, just a line where it should have been (appreantly my nan was the result of an affair), but I do have her mother's name: Thelma Fairfield who was a picture frame mounter.

My nan was born on 17/11/1923 in Cleethorpes (Lincolnshire)....Apparently she died when my Nan was about 7 years of age.

Phillip Mercer is the father and there is a son called Brian....but I know nothing more than that... Can anyone help me find more information?
Lofts Family, Lennox Family (Grimsby), Playle Family, Stead Family (Grimsby) and Shawcross Family (Manchester/Salford)

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone help/advise on this pickle?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 May 06 11:02 BST (UK) »
Phillip Mercer is the father

Whose father?

A birth or two ...

Births Mar 1904
Fairfield    Thelma Webster        Grimsby    7a   654

Births Jun 1902
MERCER    Philip         Grimsby    7a   633
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rachel_79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 May 06 11:04 BST (UK) »
My Nan's father.... she was the result of an affair....

Thanks for those two bits of help  ;D
Lofts Family, Lennox Family (Grimsby), Playle Family, Stead Family (Grimsby) and Shawcross Family (Manchester/Salford)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 May 06 11:13 BST (UK) »
There are some other Webster Fairfields thereabouts too, don't know how they are related.

Births:
Ernest WF Mar qtr 1903 Grimsby
Thelma WF Mar qtr 1904 Grimsby
Frederick WF Jun qtr 1906  Grimsby
Harry WF Sep qtr 1907 Beverley
Edith WF  1909 March qtr Sculcoates

Death for Ernest in 1904 Jun qtr Grimsby
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rachel_79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 May 06 11:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks chuck, ive already been given alot of help already and I had none of these people listed which gives me further lines of inquiry  ;D

Offline pike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 October 06 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thelma married William Henry WALKER  at st Johns Cleethorp Road Grimsby 19/09/1925 she gives her fathers name as Frederick  a boiler maker

a sister? Edith Webster Fairfiedl is a witness

I also found marriages for

Frederick Wester Fairfield 1928 father Frederick
Harry Webster Fairfield 1929 father Frederick

Offline MJ_Wilkinson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 November 19 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachel,

I have just come across this forum via Google and have seen you have not been active on this site since 2012, but I hope this might make its way to you somehow.

I'm writing to you as a direct ancestor of Thelma Webster Fairfield.  She is my Great-Grandma through my mother's side (Walker) as she married William Henry Michael Walker (my mum's grandad) in 1925.  Unfortunately both Thelma and William died well before my mum was born in Grimsby in 1954 and it appears that my grandad George Kenneth Walker (b 1928 in Grimsby- Thelma and William's son) passed limited information about them to her, for what reason at this stage I don't know.

Your evidence appears to suggest she had a child with another man prior to her marriage to my great grandad, and that this child was your nan Eugene T (Trenowath?) Fairfield.  You mention Philip Mercer but I'm keen to connect with you to ask how you know this is the case and who knew what etc?

I'm desperate to get in contact with you and solve the mystery, so if anybody can help put me in touch with Rachel, or help in any other way please let me know.  This has become a recent obsession as until the weekend I did not know anything about Thelma and have now just discovered where she is buried.

Many Thanks

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 November 19 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Rachel should receive an email saying that there is a response on her thread so hopefully she will pick your message up.

However, Rootschat has a no living persons policy so if any of the people named in your postscript are still alive then you need to edit their names out of your message.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I have a CD of Grimsby & Cleethorpes Marriages which I purchased from a Denise Light of Grimsby Family History Society: From this CD is this record

Marriage of William Henry WALKER & Thelma Webster FAIRFIELD, from Grimsby & Cleethorpes Marriages CD.
St. John's Cleethorpes Road on 19/09/1925, William Henry WALKER, aged 23 employed as a fish house worker, living at 34 Stanley St, Grimsby, son of  Edward WALKER a deceased fish buyer and Thelma Webster FAIRFIELD, aged 21, living at 88 Brereton Ave, Cleethorpes , daughter of Frederick FAIRFIELD, employed as a boiler maker, witnessed by Albert James WALKER, & Rose CLARKE & Edith Webster FAIRFIELD      

Tom