Author Topic: Dunwich PR - DIX  (Read 4203 times)

Offline paxisnz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dunwich PR - DIX
« on: Tuesday 16 May 06 03:44 BST (UK) »
Would be grateful for a sighting of birth record for John Cooper DIX -  son of Joseph in about 1827 in Dunwich.

Also ~
William Henry DIX born about 1855  -  son of John above.

Many thanks

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dunwich PR - DIX
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi paxisnz

I have looked at Dunwich PR for you, thought I was on the right track, then got a bit confused  ???.  Hopefully this might mean more to you!

John Dix s/o Joseph and Mary Dix
Baptised 28th November 1826 @ Dunwich
Joseph = an innkeeper

Then I thought I'd try and find the marriage for you and this is where I got confused.

Taken from Suffolk Marriage Index 1801-1837:

Joseph Dix m. Sarah Easey
Both of Dunwich
23rd October 1827 at Westleton

Joseph Dix (of Dunwich) m. Mary Ann Holmes (of Southwold)
Joseph = a widower
13th October 1830 at Westleton

John Dix m. Mary Lambert
Both of Dunwich
27th February 1826 at Westleton

Could this be right?  I could not see a marriage between 1801 and 1837 in this district for JOSEPH and MARY, in the right time frame to be John's parents (i.e. around 1827).

I then checked the baptism register again and it definitely said s/o JOSEPH and MARY in the register.

Maybe none of the above marriages are the right ones, or maybe the baptism isn't the right one.

Sorry to send you such a muddle! but hopefully there might be something of some use here!

Best wishes
Anne

Offline paxisnz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 23:08 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for looking that up -  yes it is a bit confusing.
I thought it was quite a rare name but obviously not in suffolk -  there must have been quite a few John DIX around!!!
Thanks again

Offline Dave Male

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 May 08 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Paxis

It's been a while since you enquired about a John Dix s/o Joseph and Mary, and perhaps you have the answer already. If you haven't, I have some news for you!

From the response you received regarding the baptism record indicating the father Joseph to be an Innkeeper, I'm pretty sure that Joseph and Mary are my 3rd Great Uncle and Aunt, with Mary being the daughter of my 4th Great Grandfather - Mary is Mary Harber who married Joseph Dix in Wenhaston 5th Oct 1807. Wenhaston is a parish 4˝ miles from Dunwich.

The 1841 Census record can be found at: HO107 Piece 1015 Book 12 Folio  7  Page 8  Line  6 and the 1851 at: HO107 Piece 1803  Folio 265  Page 7

If you need to know more about the Harber side of things, ***please send me a personal message and I would be interested in your link to the family.

Kind Regards - Dave

MODERATOR COMMENT - Email addy removed
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Names: Brown; Robson; Davis; Male; Dowman; Harber; Tyler; Peirce; Schramm; Jarrett; McCarthy; Cox; King; Olley; Pease; Aked; Wharton; Stanley; Rudland; Grigsby; Such<br />Areas: Essex;East London; Birkenhead; Staffordshire; Shropshire; West Yorkshire; Cambridgeshire; Norfolk; Newcastle; Kent

Offline Chilljoan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 September 10 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Joseph Dix did marry a Mary, but it appears she was previously named Cooper, not Harber. They are my 4 x great grandparents.

I have Mary's death record, she died on Jersey in 1861 whilst visiting one of her sons, Frederick, a wine merchant. Jersey records always show the woman's maiden name & it is clearly Cooper, as is her description as"Mary Cooper, relict of Joseph" in the obituary in the local Jersey newspaper.

I would be happy to share information with you regarding the Suffolk Dixes.

Offline John Dix

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 February 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi paxisnz
Pretty sure John Dix /Mary lambert is my great great grandfather, he moved to Christchurch in NZ

I have looked at Dunwich PR for you, thought I was on the right track, then got a bit confused  ???.  Hopefully this might mean more to you!

John Dix s/o Joseph and Mary Dix
Baptised 28th November 1826 @ Dunwich
Joseph = an innkeeper

Then I thought I'd try and find the marriage for you and this is where I got confused.

Taken from Suffolk Marriage Index 1801-1837:

Joseph Dix m. Sarah Easey
Both of Dunwich
23rd October 1827 at Westleton

Joseph Dix (of Dunwich) m. Mary Ann Holmes (of Southwold)
Joseph = a widower
13th October 1830 at Westleton

John Dix m. Mary Lambert
Both of Dunwich
27th February 1826 at Westleton

Could this be right?  I could not see a marriage between 1801 and 1837 in this district for JOSEPH and MARY, in the right time frame to be John's parents (i.e. around 1827).

I then checked the baptism register again and it definitely said s/o JOSEPH and MARY in the register.

Maybe none of the above marriages are the right ones, or maybe the baptism isn't the right one.

Sorry to send you such a muddle! but hopefully there might be something of some use here!

Best wishes
Anne

Offline Tackrill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 April 17 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Could I throw my hand in here regarding Mary Lambert & John Dix who married in Westleton in Feb 1826? I'm confused if they moved to NZ as suggested by Jon Dix. Is there any evidence of this as I think they have moved to Boston in Lincolnshire & assumed them to be my Great Great Great granparents.

Thanks in anticipation
Dave
Lincolnshire