Author Topic: M.SMYTH PEAS,CHIPS,FISH SHOP - Manchester Part One  (Read 31853 times)

Offline bursy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: M.SMYTH PEAS,CHIPS,FISH SHOP - Manchester
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 August 07 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi DS,

Bexley Square is still standing, it is where the old Salford Town Hall used to be, off Chapel St, near to Salford Cathedral

The Town Hall building is situated at one end and there are / were shops on either side. I don't think it would have changed much as it is now part of a conservation and regeneration area.

Yes, I would say that the shops were similar

Hope this helps
Regards, Dave

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 August 07 23:56 BST (UK) »

Thanks again Dave.

It now sounds even more promising than it did last night 8)

My sister is very keen to go and have a look and to check Electoral Registers etc to ascertain how long Margaret Ellen occupied the property and who else was there with her.

She is hoping to arrange a visit before the end of the month.

Cheers

DS :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bursy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 August 07 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi DS,

Keep us all updated as to how your sister gets on  :D

Good luck
Regards, Dave

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 August 07 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave.

I told you that she was keen to go and have a look. She went today ;D and this is her summary report.

“It is now a sound recording studio, but it certainly looks like it could be the right place. The frontage has been altered, but the gas lamps are still there, now fastened to the side of the buildings and converted to electric. 

Unfortunately, we could not get into the Local Studies Library, as it was closed (Monday being their closing day, but of course we did not know this beforehand). When we do manage to get in there, we are told that they have tons of old photos of the area, including Bexley Square.

One of the local books (on sale in the museum shop, which was open) had a section about entertainment in the area, and all the places spotted in the window of the shop are indeed local...including the Poplar, which opened in 1912. That tells us that the photograph was taken later than that. 

The area is indeed a posh place!  This tallies with the view of the Local Studies Librarian in Manchester Central Library.

Hopefully the next visit to the Salford Local Studies Library (when it is open) will bear some more fruit.”

DS

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 August 07 23:43 BST (UK) »
Here is a photograph of 5 Bexley Square taken today. Repeated below it, for comparison purposes, is the original photograph from the start of this thread.

It looks like a very strong possibility that it is the same place. What do you think ?

Offline bursy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi DS,

Wow !, that was quick  :D

I am 99.9% certain it is the right place, I think the stone lintel underneath the windows and the some lighter coloured bricks that can be seen in both photo's are a good sign.

Also in todays photo, all the frontage underneath the lintel is modern brickwork and the main window in the old photo went right up to the lintel.

Did your sister take only the one photo, as there is an architectural moulding, on the original, that can be seen between and just above the 2 upstairs windows. If that is still there, then that will clinch it.

Regards, Dave

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Appended below is another photograph that was taken on Monday which shows a bit more and depicts the property in its setting.

My sister has also obtained another old photograph from Salford Local History Library which she says leaves no doubt that it is the same place (even though it was taken before it became a fried fish shop). However, she is having some difficulty with her scanner and that is why I cannot post a copy of it at the moment. I will do so as soon as I get one.

She has also found out that Margaret Ellen Smyth occupied the shop from 1912 until 1915. From 1916 onwards into the 1920s it was still run as a fried fish outlet by a Thomas Welch.

So, we now know exactly where the photograph was taken, which solves half of the mystery. We can now concentrate on the other half of the mystery and try to find out who Margaret Ellen Smyth was and what happened to her.

My sister has asked me to pass on her thanks to you and everyone else who contributed towards this major breakthrough for us.

I will post the other photograph for you to see when I receive a copy.

Many thanks

DS

Offline bursy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi DS,
Glad it helped, now for Margaret  ;D

Regards, Dave

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hello again

Here is the old photograph of Bexley Square, Salford as promised.

DS