Author Topic: Can you decipher street in Johnshaven  (Read 8234 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Can you decipher street in Johnshaven
« on: Wednesday 17 May 06 14:00 BST (UK) »
In tracing some Edward or Edwards ancestors to Johnshaven, I cannot decipher the street name in the 1851 Census. There aren't that many streets, so maybe it is a street that no longer exists. If anyone has any ideas....

Also, some of my ancestors worked in the Flax Mill. I have come across an old photo of it on the net, where it was a chimney in the background of Johnshaven. Where exactly was the flax mill and does anyone have any further information or photos of it. I know there is an old mill at Benholm, but was this a meal mill? Again any info on the meal mill gratefully received.
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline Isles

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can you decipher street in Johnshaven
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 15:28 BST (UK) »
Johnshaven Flax Mill was erected in 1896 by Edwin G. Gibb, a brother of Provost Alfred Gibb of Inverbervie.  After his death in 1922 it was carried on by his son, Pat G. Gibb until he sold it to the St. Roques Bleacfield Co. Ltd. of Dundee.  The last owner was Provost John Burness (an uncle of mine) of Inverbervie who bought it in 1930 and closed it in 1937.  Jute was spun between 1909 and 1913 when it was changed back to flax spinning.
The mill, which was steam-driven, contained 2000 spindles and employed between 70 and 80 girls and men.  The building is at present owned by George M. Davidson.

There was also a meal-mill at Benholm, but Lindsay Watson, the last miller, died about 20 years ago.  The mill was eventually taken over and repaired as a tourist attraction by Kincardine & Deeside District Council (now Aberdeenshire Council).  At present it is open from Monday to Thursday.

I cannot make out the street name but will check the 1861 Census which will probably give it clearer.

Isles.

1927 - 2010

Burness; Dickson; Moncur; Bowman

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help so far. Whereabouts in Johnshaven is the Flax Mill building?
Also, going by the date that it was erected, I think it may have too late for my ancestors. Would there have been any other flax mills nearby where they could have worked?

Thank you again for the information.
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hello, can you make out the streets either side?

Jean ???
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 May 06 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I just downloaded the one page from Scotland's People with my family member (William & Agnes Edward) on it. The street name is the entry at the top and everyone else on the page is living on the same street!... so I do not know the streets either side! I have been to Johnshaven and know there aren't that many streets to choose from. I know the main street is Castle Street, but it doesn't look like that to me. In the previous (1841) census the family's address is just given as "District No 3, Johnshaven".

Thanks for your interest!

Offline Isles

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 May 06 17:10 BST (UK) »
It's Weaver Street where William & Agnes Edward were living in 1851.  At that time he is described as a Farm Labourer.  By 1861 he is a widower, aged 68, his occupation being a Stone Dyker.
The Flax Mill building is situated just to the left of the bridge which crosses over what used to be the railway line.  Johnshaven had a sail cloth factory established in the 1790s, and the firm of William L. Boase of Dundee operated a hemp sacking factory in 1861.  There were also 8 flax mills in the parish of Inverbervie  all in operation in 1910.  One of them (the Upper Mill) relocated to Gourdon and started Selbie Works in 1908.
While scrolling through the 1861 Census I noted the following:-

Tillygrain:             
John Edward  49  Joiner & Cart Wright  born Arbuthnott.
Susanna Edward 53  born Kinneff.
David Edward  18  born Bervie.

Burn of Benholm:
Catherine Edward  U.  77  Retired Servant  born Maryton.

East Wynd:
William Edward  widower  68  Stone Dyker born Brechin.

Back Street:
Isobella Edward  U.  23  Dom Ser.  b.Laurencekirk.
David Stewart, son, 4  b. Montrose.

Fore Street:
Hugh Edward  43  Woollen  Weaver  b. Kinneff.
Jane  Edward    43   b. Benholm.
Hugh Edward    4     b.       "
James Edward   2     b.        "
John Edward      2mths b.    "

I hope this has been of some help.

Isles.

1927 - 2010

Burness; Dickson; Moncur; Bowman

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 May 06 09:13 BST (UK) »
This is briliant. Thank you so much. It ties in with what I know so far too. William Edward re-married when he was 73 years old in Johnshaven. The information about the flax mills is also very interesting. I always wondered where they could have worked. I live in Aberdeen so I know the areas around Benholm, where I visited the church and Johnshaven.

Thanks again!