Author Topic: Brick/Pumfrey - Upton on Severn  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Eveline Clarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brick/Pumfrey - Upton on Severn
« on: Wednesday 17 May 06 15:47 BST (UK) »
I have quite a bit of information on the Bricks and Pumfreys of Upton on Severn, with some queries.
and would love to exchange notes with anyone else researching these families.

Regards

Eveline

Offline tanyal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brick/Pumfrey - Upton on Severn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 June 09 02:21 BST (UK) »
I am tracing the Tickle - Brook families. Philip Pomfrey appears as the witness on the marriage of George Tickle and Mary Brook in 1764, at Hampton Lovett. A headstone in the St Augustine, Dodderhill cemetery mentions the names of Philip Pomfrey his wife, Mary (daughter of John Penrice) and also John Brook and his wife Mary. This Philip, according to the headstone, was born around 1707 and died Mary 2 1772. I believe that Philip's son was named John. He also has a headstone in the gravehead (died, 19 July 1814, aged 83 years, therefore born around 1731). I have John's will (he was a mercer of Droitwich) and, even though I have not yet gone through it all, being unfamiliar with old handwriting, it does mention his son being named Philip, possibly after his own father.

I am hoping that you are tracing this Pomfrey family as I am eager to find out how he is connected to my Brook family. Any clues to the lives of this family may lead me back to my own.

I look forward to being able to exchange information with you.
Berkshire: Hale
Cheshire: Bevington
Gloucestershire: Hale
London: Randall, Perry
Warwickshire: Tickle
Worcestershire: Allen, Baylis, Bebbington, Bevington, Bolton, Brook, Dudley, Hale, Perks, Tickle, Williams, Perks

Offline Eveline Clarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 June 09 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya

Unfortunately, I don't have this Philip or John on my family tree, however, I do know that we are related to at least one Pumfrey in Droitwich and also along the River Severn. 

I have just sent a copy of your request to another Pumfrey researcher who has done much more research than I have and has a much more extensive tree than mine, although I have about 280 Pumfreys.    This researcher has found that the Pumfrey family started at the Severn Esturary around 1400 and gradually moved upstream, she has linked most (if not all) of the Pumfreys up to and beyond Worcester into the family.   So I am sure that Philip and John are related as well.

Eveline

Offline tanyal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 09 09:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you. :)

We might turn out to be related after all!

I look forward to hearing from this researcher and will let know when I find out how Philip and John fit into things. :)
Worcestershire: Allen, Baylis, Bebbington, Bevington, Bolton, Brook, Dudley, Hale, Perks, Tickle, Williams, Perks

Offline Eveline Clarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 June 09 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya

You will be pleased about this as yes Julie does have a file on this Phillip and John Pumfrey and she has asked me to give you her e.mail address so you can write to her direct.

She is also sending me a copy fo the file which is absolutely great.

After you have looked at it I would be very interested in hearing about how it all ties together with your family so I am giving you my address as well.

Julie's is    (*)
mine is    (*)

Regards

Eveline

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline tanyal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 June 09 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you. :)

I will write to Julie right away and I will let you know how it ties together with my family, when I find out.

Offline JALaFontaine

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 June 21 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I realize that this is an old thread, but I am researching the Pumfrey family line in Upton on Severn. I would love to share information.

Julie