Author Topic: 1851&1861 census Sutton ,Smith-completed  (Read 1006 times)

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1851&1861 census Sutton ,Smith-completed
« on: Thursday 18 May 06 00:31 BST (UK) »
Could someone please help me find the following couple and their families in 1851 and 1861, possibly Sutton, Elers, or Kildwick.

Robert Smith, born in Sutton a comber
Ellen Smith (nee Overend) born Sutton/Elers 1818

they were married in May 1841 before the 1841 census( Ellen is with her parents the night of the 1841 census.)

His father was also Robert  a comber and her parents were Thomas Overend and Anne Houlgate, Thomas was a weaver.

Looking for any children to Robert and Ellen Smith, please, any help appreciated.  ;D

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1851&1861 census Sutton for Smith
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 May 06 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

1861 RG9/3223 Folio 32 page 12 Sutton, Keighley

SMITH
Robert/head/mar/43/hand weaver worsted?/Kildwick
Ellen/wife/mar/43/Kildwick
Samuel/son/19/cotton weaver/Kildwick
Sarah Annn/dau/17/cotton weaver/Kildwick
Thomas/son/14/cotton weaver/Kildwick
Margaret/dau/11/cotton weaver/Kildwick
Joshua/son/8/scholar/Kildwick
Hannah/dau/5/scholar/Kildwick
Mary/dau/2/scholar/Kildwick

Bee :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 May 06 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Bee,

and here I was thinking because they were Smiths they would be hard to find.
This is great news, thankyou for providing me with such a great list of names.  Lots to play with now  ;D

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 06 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think I've found them on the 1851, I'll be back in a few minutes

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 May 06 01:26 BST (UK) »
excited and patient
Margaret

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 May 06 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

1851 HO.107/2287 folio 169 page 20 Sutton, Keighley

SMITH
Robert/head/mar/32/wool comber/Sutton
Elen/wife/mar/32/wool comber/Sutton
Samuel/son/9/scholar/Sutton
Sarah Ann/dau/7/scholar/Sutton
Thomas/son/4/Sutton
Margaret/dau/1/Sutton

a different place of birth but looks like the same family

Maybe a coincidence but there where Smith families living in the next 2 houses, the head of both houses was Rowland Smith, one aged 71 and the other 41.

happy hunting
Bee :)

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 May 06 01:52 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Bee,

I found Ellen with her married son in the 1881 census and that too has Sutton as birthplace. I think because Kildwick is a Parish and a village in its own right sometimes this throws people in the wrong direction.

Can't say for sure re: neighbours, I am sure Roberts father is also Robert as have copy of marriage certificate.

Thankyou for doing this, its interesting to see who stayed behind, so many travelled to Australia between 1850 and 1870. 
You are a gem.  ;)
Margaret

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 May 06 01:55 BST (UK) »
you're wlecome :)

Bee