Author Topic: Wereabouts in Yorkshire?  (Read 4561 times)

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
Re: Wereabouts in Yorkshire?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 May 06 15:04 BST (UK) »
This is a wonderful puzzle.

In the 1851 Census, 22 people had their birthplace recorded as Long [H]E[l]ms[ae]l[l].  But I can't see any other link between them as yet, nor can I find a convincing location.

In this research, I notice that a lot of people seem to have been born in Long, Yorkshire, and that most of them lived in Leeds / Pudsey.  Is there a placename Long in that area ?

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 May 06 15:30 BST (UK) »
David

Can't spend more time on it.  Maybe you can get someone in the Pontefract area to say whether there was ever an area near North Elmsall or South Elmsall that went by the name of Long Elmsall.

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 May 06 17:04 BST (UK) »
The more I look at this one the more it looks like the enumerator has corrupted a word spoken in the Yorkshire dialect.
No 'aitches so the first letter may or may not be H
enal - something like HenHole. Perhaps the word even begins with N
sol - sle, sul, sel, sal, sail, sall - could be any, depends a lot on the part of Yorkshire it came from.
I can't find anything like it in the current Leeds A-Z
sorry
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cuddy

« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 May 06 08:06 BST (UK) »
  Word reads as you say. Doesn't look English !    If speaker's accent was strange to enumerator, may be he wrote it as sounded.  I'd this error on a marriage cert. of unmarried lady's surname.
I too suggest  South Elmsall between Wakefield and Doncaster. May be was a Long one too.  Enter S.Elmsall in browser see if they've own web-page and history.
Cuddy.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 May 06 21:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you  everyone for your help, but I've been barking up the wrong tree  ;D. Wendy has put me firmly back on the right track, and inadvertently, I think, identified a real challenge: how to find out the relationship between the Scatchards and the Fosters. I've managed to uncover two marriages, unfortunately, however, both to a Thomas Foster. Now to try and  discover which is the Thomas I'm interested in. :-\

David
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

URGENT

Any chance as the image is no longer needed can you delete it then maybe the pages will be shorter in Width?

I hate having to scroll right across the screen.

Please?

Just thought  I'd post this, that Thomas Scat* bn 1871 Leeds who was boarding with Alice Anderson and her hubby in the 1901 also same occupatin too.

In the 1841 census next door to Mary Mills and her hubby Matthew ( mary Fosters parent's)

Was

Jane Scratcher 1791  Yorkshire

Thos Scratcher 1830 Yorkshire

I did follow this Thomas through the census and he is seen to have had a son Thomas bn 1871 Leeds and is not at home in the 1891 census

So as you say TOO much of a Coincidence for them not to be related in some way.

There was an Elizabeth Pen****? living in between them not sure who she is as image not very clear and very dark

In the 1851 census

Found Jane by a matter of elimination she is with her married sister

Elizabeth Pennington bn 1783 Bishop Monkston

Jane Scatchard bn 1790 ""   Badly mistranscirbed so I have only put her as she is known

Mary Pennington  1815 Ferry Hill Durham Daug-in-law

Simeon Penningon  1843     """"""""    Grandson

I'm giving this info but I am not sure where I am taking it to.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy

Yes I'd willingly remove the image, but I don't know how.  :(
The only reason I made it so wide was I noted that lots of people complained about the lack of handwriting to compare on small images. Oi Vay!!

Thanks, anyway for your reply. It's given me some more to go on. I've been looking for Thomas Scatchard on the IGI to see if there were any marriages to Fosters, and I've found two, one in 1767 and one in 1795. Trouble is trying to track the children down in pre-census times.

David
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 16:10 BST (UK) »
HI David

I too had been doing the same and while searching I came across a possible set of parents for the Nephew Thomas bn 1830 who was with aunt Jane

His possible parents could be a Thomas and Sarah

follow the link unless you had seen it

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

Again only possibles.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 May 06 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Wendy

Page two of this conversaaton seems to have shrunk to a more normal size  :)

Thanks for your time in helping me with this particular bit of research. Your said earlier "I'm giving this info but I am not sure where I am taking it to.", and I must admit it's been a puzzling journey for me too.  However, one of the fun things about this game is the fact it takes you to some strange places sometimes. I'm learning a lot about curriers and ropemakers and thats all a bit different to the other side of the family where they're all chain and nail makers.

I tried following your link, but all I get is the IGI search page. Is there any chance you could give me a few more details so that I can try the same search?

Thanks

David