Author Topic: Tasmania, help please  (Read 3465 times)

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Tasmania, help please
« on: Friday 19 May 06 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Does anyone have access to check and see if they can find a birth for Adelaide Elizabeth Cleaver (or could be Manly) in c1859 in Tasmania please - cannot find her.
Another of those mysterious ggrandmother stories.
Cheers and thanks
Cougar
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)
This information is Crown Copywrite. from the www.national archives.go.v.uk.

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmania, help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 04:07 BST (UK) »
Hi cougar

Can you give us anymore information. ie. parents names.  Did she get married in Tas.

Genni

All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 06:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Genni
Here goes - not much though.........Info re birth comes from Death certificate - born c1859 Launceston.
She married my ggrandfather (I assume as haven't been able to find the marriage either).
He went missing - presumed dead - this is the police report
"Information is requested of John Ross, who left Adelaide, en route for Port Darwin in March, 1884, arriving at the last-named place in April of the same year.  Ross was at this time accompanied by two mates, named Sack and Born, and it is conjectured, in the absence of any news of him, has since met his death by accident or other wise in Queensland, whither he is believed to have gone. Description:- Age 33 years, height 5ft. 7in., fair complexion, dark curly hair, fair moustache only, blue eyes, carpenter by trade, native of Scotland; came here from Melbourne some years since
She is listed as Adelaide Elizabeth - nee Manly at births of John Henry Ross in 1877 in Pt Augusta, Sth Aust and Adelaide Rose 181 Farina town, nr. Pt Augusta.
Husband John gets presumably murdered prior to 1890  when she then marries George Johns and lists her father as George Cleaver.  Her age also is in question.
Elizabeth died in 1912 at age of 53 which makes her birth 1859.  This would have made her 18 at birth of John Henry.
If you go by second marriage age (stated she was 27 yrs old)- she would have been 14 at the time of his birth???
I have been unable to find a birth reference under Manly or Cleaver for her.
If you can get anywhere with this it will be a miracle - have been trying for ages..
Cheers, Cougar
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 May 06 04:28 BST (UK) »
Searching the AVRI (which you have probably searched  :) ) which contains the Tas BDM to about 1900, the closest possibility I have is

Elizabeth Manley  4 Feb 1854 father unknown mother Jane Manley.

I looked at all Adelaides in Tas from 1841 to 1859, nothing seemed likely.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 May 06 04:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish
Wonder how I missed that one - looks pretty likely doesn't it.
Mind you, I wasn't the only one to miss it, cousin who is more into this side of the family didn't find it either - so now I don't feel so bad.
Thank you so much for that - will see if I can chase it up further -
I have since come across someone with a tree of Cleaver's in Tassy and he has a George James Cleaver b in England but as the father died in Tassy - wonder if he came out to Tas. as well - whoever did the tree doesn't give any further info - so that is something else I can follow.
Again - thanks for that - truly appreciated.
Cougar

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 May 06 04:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Cougar

The only one I could come up with was the daughter of George James CLEAVER & Isabella BULL/BALL.  born: 1860 Launceston (Name not recorded).

Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 May 06 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi again Genni
Thanks for that - every little bit will help.  Though that just throws out the lovely idea I had of her being that Elizabeth Manly marrying George Cleaver.   Oh well........
Elizabeth died in 1912 at age of 53 which makes her birth 1859.  This would have made her 18 at birth of John Henry (1877 in Pt Augusta)
If you go by second marriage age (stated she was 27 yrs old)- she would have been 14 at the time of his birth???

The year fits better -  - who knows when she was actually born, as in pinning it down to the exact year.
None of my lot ever go in a straight line - why should Dad's side be the exception.
Thanks again, Cougar

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 May 06 06:41 BST (UK) »
Gosh - and I managed to miss that one -  :-[  :-[
There was also Eliza Cleaver born 1861 parents William and Agnes Inall

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 May 06 07:00 BST (UK) »
see - told you it was a tricky family............
Thanks for that - more to add to the pile.
Cheers Cougar