Author Topic: Jersey City mid 1800's  (Read 1107 times)

Offline ravenhair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jersey City mid 1800's
« on: Sunday 21 May 06 20:03 BST (UK) »
Can anybody advise me how to find  more information from an original letter i have which i believe was  written about 1875, to my gtgtgt grandmother? Not much to go on, but in it it says "he left the marble shop and went to the steel? cutting" "he was living in one of his own houses 31 Brunswick Street, Jersey City". I think the person referred to is possibly my gtgt grandmothers brother, but i have no first name, the surname though is Bogue. Any advice or suggestions will be very welcome.

Offline Lambendsor (aka IGS)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jersey City mid 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 May 06 23:20 BST (UK) »
Do you have any idea where (and about when) your BOGUE was born?

Only one BOGUE shows up in Jersey City - in all of Hudson County, in fact - on the 1880 Census: a boatman born in Connecticut.

City Directories for Jeresy City do exist for the 1870s, but unfortunately I don't have ready access to them. Maybe someone else does?
ENDSOR: Tamworth/Manchester
LAMB: Leeds/Manchester
SMITH: Manchester
HOLMES: Kirk Ireton/Manchester
WORTHINGTON: Middleton/Manchester
SHORROCK: Manchester
BROOKS: Wilmslow/Knutsford
By marriage in Manchester: BAXENDALE, DODD, EYERS, FIRTH, FISHER, FO(R)STER, HARGREAVES, J(A/E)RVIS, McKEOWN, OSBALDESTON, PICKWELL, PODMORE, SCHOFIELD, SHALLCROSS, STONES, WALKER
GREY, DOYLE, GOLDEN, MONAHAN: Ireland
HAWE, FRENEY, NARY: Co. Kilkenny
DONOHO and variants: Co. Longford

Offline ravenhair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jersey City mid 1800's
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 May 06 19:33 BST (UK) »
Having read through the letter again, and established with some certainty it was written around 1875, i realise now that the person referred to cannot actually be my gtgt grandmothers brother, as she was born in 1873, and her parents married in 1871!!! Thinking about it some more today, it must have been written to my gtgtgt grandmother, her name was Helen(or Ellen) Halliday, and she married JohnBogue  on 2.4.1871 in St Annes, Co Antrim, Belfast, they then moved to Scotland sometime before 1873. It states, he was asking how his sister Mary was, so am not now sure who he was!!It would be nice to find out who he was though, and if there is a connection.
John Bogue was born in 1841 in Lagan/Lagar? Ireland
Helen(Ellen) Halliday was born 6.12.1842 Co. Monaghan, Ireland.