Author Topic: Our Ancestors  (Read 40810 times)

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Our Ancestors
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 May 06 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Emmeline and all  :) :)

love the photos....reminds me of our house in Belfast with the window-sill something you don't see much of these days ...how times have changed.

I have two photo for you.....the first is of my mum her sisters..dad and uncle Tommy ......it was taken in Belfast about 1948/49 according to mum's brother Robert....from left to right...aunt Florrie who emigrated to New Zealand...dad ...mum....uncle Tommy and his wife aunt May

the second one is of my dad and his fellow sailors taken in 1942 at the Merchant navy training college in Birkenhead.......i think it was called Walasey dad is the fifth from the left sticking his head out....hard to believe all these young boys were getting ready to go to war........often wonder if any of them are still alive today.......i think its a great photo

there is a wee story of how i got these photos it goes as follows......about three years ago i sent my sister several books which belonged to dad.... he loved reading....... my sister found two negatives in the middle of one of the books.......she wondered what they were so she had them developed and this was the result ....we had never seen the photos before........ just as well i didn't throw them out.

best wishes

pentio.

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 May 06 18:02 BST (UK) »
My Mum won a garden competition in 1948.  She was a widow and lived in a prefab which backed onto the Rochester Way (A2 I think)
This is the poem my brother wrote about the garden so I am proud of them both.

RIDGEBROOK TERRACE

Michelmas daisies brushed the windows
And fell through the open back door,
As the sparrows, cheeky chirpy chaps,
Black bibs bobbing cleaned the floor.

A small pond built of red bricks,
Resting on the surrounding pavement,
With two gold fish, shark size,
When light refraction bent.

The level lawn, handkerchief square,
Had hedges of heather and blue,
And rustic archway over the path,
Was drenched with roses of pinky hue.

Beyong this heavenly haven
Of bright eyed spiders domain,
Vegetables of every colour,
And underground, round sugar cane.

Purple gooseberry, the size of egg,
Between succulent strawberry and apple
That shine in the shade, in dark brown earth,
Where birch leaves gently dapple.

This plantation, with no straight lines
Or ruled edges, that shocks
The natural scheme of growing garden,
Ends finally in hillihocks.

This magnificent backdrop
Higher than stretched finger tips,
Would ever open travellers eyes,
And round astonished disbelieving lips.

Those palm tree tall sodium lights
That edged that road side oasis,
Though reduced now to memory
Their sight and perfume I’ll never miss,
For they are printed on my heart,
And will return at my slightest wish.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 May 06 19:49 BST (UK) »
I am playing catch up here

Sylviaann..............Fab poetry.........I would be proud of them too............sure your not related to Pentio's family ::)

Emmeline.............Thought Henry was a girl at first....Nice to see Uncle G..and yes.....just think what he did........His first big event was probably throwing himself of that window sill.....

Chris.........Thank you for that site on the bulldozer ........I need some meccano now........that takes me back

Pentio.......I bet you're glad you didn't throw it away.....we must all check our books...hee hee.

A lovely family shot of the sisters and the second one ......it makes you wonder how many of them young men came back from the war.

A family tea in the garden........me .....  Mum  my brother and granny and granda Porter at the table

keep them coming
steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 29 May 06 20:47 BST (UK) »
Steve :)

yes i am really glad i didn't throw the book away .......the young lads in the Merchant Navy they were very brave for ones so young.

What a great photo its really lovely .....its good we can all share our wee treasures........... looks like a beautiful garden I'm sure it brings back many happy memories for you...........by the way i have sent you a pm.

Sylviaan :)

love the poem..... my father loved poetry and wrote over 50 must post a few more.

pentio

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 29 May 06 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone - As Pentio says it is great that we are able to share our treasures.
Thank you for the lovely photo of your mother and her two sisters Pentio. It reminded me of my mother and her two sisters. A Gt- Aunt once wrote - ' they were such pretty girls and kept themselves so nice under trying circumstances ' - just like your mother and aunts.
How wonderful that the negatives were found - yes, we shall all  have to check our books  ::)
Glad you liked the window-sill picture though when I look at it I often wonder if Henry stayed on  - only a baby to be put up there !
The family tea photo is great Steve - I love the garden and could imagine happy times there as a child.
All for now............

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 00:16 BST (UK) »
Thought I would post this photo of my mother when she was in her prime.
It would amuse her to think she has ended up on T.L.S. - she had a great sense of humour.
Do you like the clothes Steve ? Always bought from someone called Mrs.Wicks - so I was told !
Bye.........

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Emmeline

love the photo of your mother she was beautiful and look at the style
so elegant.

pentio.

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 08:24 BST (UK) »
Emmeline...she looks like a film star, and again they didn't half know how to dress back then...........Pentio is right "style and elegant"..........makes you wonder where this Mrs Wicks was getting the clothes from!

It is lovely to share our treasures,I feel it brings them back to life in away I just hope they don't mind T.L.S and realize they are not forgotten.

Pentio...........the young Navy lads,,,I really do wonder ,,,how many did managed to get home....

Steve

<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Emmeline Steve and everyone

Steve........ re the navy lads last year i was able to make contact with one of these lads who served on the same ship as my dad on the Russian Convoys he lives in Scotland and is in his late 70's...........he was able to tell me what it was like on board the ship......conditions were very harsh....... they also had to contend with the mountainous seas and blizzards that swept the Atlantic ocean .......the temperatures could reach 30 -- 40 below freezing............. you would freeze to death in a few minutes in the water and if that was not enough they also faced bombing raids and attacks by the U boats.......it must have been truly horrendous for them...........over 3000 sailors men and boys lost their lives between 1941 -45......they  were all HERO'S who never got the recognition they deserved.

my dad he was 15 when he joined and 17 when he went to sea......he never really talked much about it..........i can see why.

pentio.