Author Topic: Bowman Family - Loyalists?  (Read 7642 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Bowman Family - Loyalists?
« on: Thursday 25 May 06 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I am searching for my gr-gr grandfather Benjamin Bowman who was born c1831.  He married Sophia Ellis at some point.  In the 1861, 71 & 81 they are living in Fenelon Falls, Victoria County, Ontario.

I have recently found that Benjamin may have been born in Morrisburg, Ontario.  Another person has thought they may have been Loyalists.

I know that his wife Sophia, died in Oxford County.  Their son, John W. Bowman (my gr-grandfather) died in 1918 in Guelph, Ontario.

I have not been able to find a definte death date for Benjamin.

Some of the siblings stayed in Fenelon Falls, another went to Bowmanville, Guelph & Ingersoll, one sister went to Rochester New York.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
Re: Bowman Family - Loyalists?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 May 06 13:50 BST (UK) »
I am searching for my gr-gr grandfather Benjamin Bowman who was born c1831.  He married Sophia Ellis at some point. I have recently found that Benjamin may have been born in Morrisburg, Ontario.  Another person has thought they may have been Loyalists.

Hi Karen,

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Loyalist research so forgive me if I'm covering ground you already know.

First, Loyalists and their sons/daughters were entitled to free land (if they qualified as Loyalists). Loyalists and their families were granted land in accordance with their military rank and dependants.

To obtain that land they had to submit petitions to the Council. These petitions are found in UCLP (Upper Canada Land Petitions) on microfilm. There is an index to them, also on film. I use the index at the Ontario Archives but it is also found at NAC.

Benjamin was born too late to be a son of a Loyalist, so if he's of Loyalist stock, it is likely a grandparent. I would check the UCLP indexes for the Bowman name (be prepared to also hunt under Bauman and other spellings) in the area where Benjamin was born.

There is no one list of Loyalists, which makes our lives much more difficult when searching for them.

You can read more about how to search in the UCLP (Upper Canada Land Petitions) for your ancestor(s) at

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/loy/loyfind.shtml

There were lists of approved Loyalists, but there was more than one, they are all different in varying ways, and no one list is considered the final word.

For example the Crown Lands Department created lists of Loyalists based on various sources. This is the Crown Lands (aka Old UEL List). It contains approximately 6,000 names but only about half are qualified UEL.

The Executive Council devised a different list from various district rolls. This lists is called the Executive Council
UE List. This list, considered more accurate than the Old UEL List, contains about 3,000 names but is *not* complete.

*Both* these lists, which were first drawn up  in the 1790s, have been altered since they were written. The
important thing to remember is that when/if you consult these lists, a negative result (your ancestor's name does not appear) does not necessarily mean he is not a qualified Loyalist!

You can also consult the following

- Haldimand Papers - papers and correspondence of Haldimand, Sir Frederick from 1758-1784

- Loyalist Claims and Conversion List, 1790-1837 - Audit Office 12 and 13

- The Loyalists in Ontario: The Sons & Daughters of the American Loyalists

- District Loyalist Rolls

- United Empire Loyalist Lists

All of these sources (plus the UCLP) are fully explained at http://olivetreegenealogy.com/loy/loyfind.shtml

You will also find the microfilm reel numbers (if applicable) and location of each source.

I always start with the UCLP because it is indexed (UCLP Index) *and* if your ancestor is found, you may be lucky enough to find a wealth of genealogical information in his/her petition(s) for land grants.

Now, as for your Bowman surname, I can't say Bejamin is from the same family but there IS a very well researched Bowman line which was originally from the Palatine Bauman family in New York. If you aren't familiar with the Palatine Migration, see http://olivetreegenealogy.com/pal/

There is also a Mennonite Bowman family in Ontario. See http://ebybook.region.waterloo.on.ca/index.html

Years ago I researched The Palatine family, but in looking through my Canadian "B" files, I see only bits and pieces... Let me outline the Loyalist Bowmans for you briefly here. Much of this is from Reids book (listed below) but I have used other sources to supplement it. If any names are of interest, let me know and I'll give you my sources

Bowman, Abraham (1768-1860) of Stamford m1 Dorothy Jones m2 Mary Snively nee Shainholdts
Sons (I won't list the daughters here):

-Adam of Stamford (OC 1817) btw OC is ORders in Council meaning that is when the Council made its decision re the land petition. There is a full date (day/month/year) which helps you find their petition
-Peter of Stamford OC 1820
-David of Stamford m Jane Warren. OC 1822
-Isaac of stamford OC 1820

Bowman, Adam Sr (George Adam) m Anna Maria Conrad
Sons:
- John of Pelham m Elizabeth Hoghstroper. OC 1817
-Adam m Hannah May. OC 1797
-Reid's Sons & Daughters of American Loyalists lists Peter as a son but he doesn't belong in this family

Bowman, Henry of Pelhamm Eve
Sons
- John of Pelham OC 1821
- Henry of Pelham OC 1837
-Jacob of Pelham OC 1835
-Philip of Pelham OC 1835
-George Adam of caistor OC 1835

Bowman, Jacob m1 elizabeth m2 Ann. In Butler's Rangers with my Loyalist ancestors

Sons
- John of Thorold OC 1798

Bowman, Peter of ANcaster

I'll check the Lampman book (Imprints on the Sands of Time) because they married into the Bowman family. I see I also have some detailed notes on the Palatine family of Jacob & Elizabeth Bowman and descendants to several generations. I'll have a hunt there for your Benjamin

I also have a fairly large family file (about 75 pages) starting with the children of Peter Bauman and Christina Rossler of Germany - the children who came to NY as Palatines in 1709/1710. Unfortunately it's paper and not indexed but I will look through it and see if your Benjamin is there.

Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 May 06 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Eillo,

Thank you so much for this information.  I am familiar with the Loyalists, but only from short periods of history class and other history documentaries.  I have never delved into it, but I am excited to be able to learn more.

I have come across the Waterloo Bowman's before through research of my other gr-gr grandparents, Joseph Huck/Hauck (born Alsace France) and Anna Maria Reinhart (born Baden, Germany) who settled in Berlin, Ontario.  I am actually going to Maryhill tommorrow to the cemetery to see if I can find their grave.  Their daughter, Fransica married Jno Heffernan. 

I would not have questioned the Loyalists connection, but while searching for the children of Benjamin and Sophia I found someone had one of their daughters on-line and a reference beside her name was Lineages of Loyalists Volume II.  Also on her death certificate it had her father Benjamin born in Morrisburg.  Of course this person had no contact information.

I have been unable so far to find a death certificate for Benjamin, however by the 1911 census Sophia is widowed and living with her daughter in Ingersoll.  I am currently trying to find Benjamin and Sophia in the 1851 census.

I also have no idea where Benjamin is buried. 

The Jacob you mention is he the one that was featured in the documentary Canada, A People's History?

Thanks again for all your help.  I will read the Olive tree links that you have provided.  Any other information you will be able to help me with will be greatfully appreciated.

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 May 06 16:40 BST (UK) »

I would not have questioned the Loyalists connection, but while searching for the children of Benjamin and Sophia I found someone had one of their daughters on-line and a reference beside her name was Lineages of Loyalists Volume II.  Also on her death certificate it had her father Benjamin born in Morrisburg.  Of course this person had no contact information.

hi karen

Quick question - what is the name of the daughter with the Loyalist Lineages ref? And who did she marry? It may be her spouse who is the Loyalist descendant.

Loyalist Lineages is available in most Ontario libraries but be careful using it. It's just a compilation of descendancies from descendants - and is only as good as the person submitting it  :)

I'll get back to you later when I have a second to hunt in those papers.
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 May 06 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Do you think I can find where I found it now  ::)  Once I find it again, I will post the information.   I recall thinking that it could be her spouse, but then just googling on the internet and finding reference to Benjamin being born in Morrisburg and the connection of Morrisburg and the Loyalists I thought I would look in to it as it seemd plausible.

I have made a call to St. James Church in Morrisburg, which has ties to Holy Trinty UEL Memorial Church.

Karen

Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 May 06 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Eillo,

Found it.  It is from her, Jane Frances Bowman's husband side, Owen Clarence Watson who is descendant from Cyernius Parke, UE.

Obviously I will still persue my Bowman line, the first thing I need to do is find his baptism.

Do you think there still could be some sort of connection between my Bowman's and the Loyalists?

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 13:15 BST (UK) »
Found it.  It is from her, Jane Frances Bowman's husband side, Owen Clarence Watson who is descendant from Cyernius Parke, UE.

Obviously I will still persue my Bowman line, the first thing I need to do is find his baptism.

Do you think there still could be some sort of connection between my Bowman's and the Loyalists?

Possibly.... I took a look at the 1881 census tho' and noted that your Bowmans were English origin and Church of England. They wouldn't be from the Palatine German Bowman Loyalists in that case.

It may be worth checking in the UCLP but I would personally leave that for a bit and try other search tactics.

If you could find Benjamin in 1851 you would hopefully find him with his parents - or living near other Bowmans!

The 1851 is online now (images searchable by location only) but I'm sure it will be indexed in time. See http://allcensusrecords.com/canada/ for links to the 1851 images.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 19:18 BST (UK) »
Well, what a great morning I have had.

I spoke with the lady who runs the Loyalist Resource Centre in Morrisburg.  She then filled me on all kinds of information about my Bowman's.  Seems Benjamin's parents were Thomas Bowman and Mary Betsey Glinton.  Thomas Bowman was born in England in 1792.

I have found them on the 1851 and Benjamin is still living with his parents together with his 5 brothers and 1 sister.  In the 1851 & 1871 census they are listed as Wesleyan Methodist. 

Benjamin was born in Morrisburg in 1831 according to her records. 

Thanks again Eillo for all your help.  Now I will have to plan a trip to Morrisburg this summer  :)

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 11:42 BST (UK) »
Great news Karen! Did she know if your Thomas B was a Loyalist?

I checked the CLRI for your names (see http://olivetreegenealogy.com/can/ont/clri.shtml for an explanation of CLRI) but no Thomas :(  There is one Benjamin but he isn't yours as he is buying land in Markham in 1839.

I'm curious whether or not Thomas is on the UCLP or any Loyalist list.

eillo