Author Topic: Attenborough Railway Stationmaster  (Read 1955 times)

Offline martync

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Attenborough Railway Stationmaster
« on: Friday 26 May 06 14:09 BST (UK) »
I think the Station master at the Attenborough Railway Station in Nottinghamshire around 1929 was a relative of mine named Swift but I do not know which one. I think it will be either Harry G. Swift or Herbert A Swift. They come from a railway family their farther Herbert was a Stationmaster for 40 years and their grandfather was also a Stationmaster as were two of their uncles and the third Uncle was a railway Guard. They also had one uncle by marriage that was a Railway engine driver and another that was a time keeping porter on the railway.

If anyone has access to a directory of this time for Nottinghamshire and can help I'd very much appreciate it.

Thank you,
Martyn
Collier - Leicestershire
Healy - Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Dublin
Clay - Leicestershire, Northamptonshire
Swift - Leicestershire, Derbyshire
Walker - Isle of Man, Glasgow
Akins - Liverpool, Ireland
Bowers - Co. Down, Ireland & Liverpool

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Attenborough Railway Stationmaster
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 06 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you tried www.historicaldirectories.org ?   It has lots of directories for all over the country.  If there is nothing on line I might be able to get into the library in Nottingham to look for you. 

missprim

Offline martync

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 06 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Missprim,

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately Historic Directories don't seem cover directories this recent and as I believe they don't have any more funding they won't be able to extend to this period. That's a shame because they were a very good resource.

I will probably try contacting the Nottingham library unless someone has a copy of the directories and could have a quick look for me.

Thanks,
Martyn
Collier - Leicestershire

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 06 17:44 BST (UK) »
Will do the look up tomorrow morning if I can but I won't be able to post the result of my search until some time in the afternoon.

missprim

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 06 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have just been to Beeston library for you but come back disappointed. I looked in a 1932 directory and found it was LM & S railways (London, Midland & Scottish) but it did not give the stationmaster for Attenborough.

In another local book a previous stationmaster, Mr Wildgoose, transferred to a station near Stoke in 1925.

The crossing was known locally as 'suicide crossing' as there have been alot of suicides there.

If missprim draws a blank remind me to ask at the archives next time I go.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martync

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 May 06 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hello missprim and Jane,

Thank you very much for your help it is very kind of you to look for me. It would be interesting to find out which of the sons were the Station Master because of the families strong Railway connections. I got my information in an article about the retirement of his uncle Andrew Swift in 1929. The article from the Derby Daily Express states that "A nephew, son of Mr Swift's eldest brother, is the stationmaster at Attenborough". I know his eldest brother was Herbert Swift and as far as I know he had two sons Herbert and Harry; a daughter and a step-daughter.

Thank you both again,
Martyn
Collier - Leicestershire

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 May 06 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Martyn

How close is this to you? This is a difficult question but time is limited. If it is close I am prepared to help you as much as I can but if it is on the fringes there may be other priorities as I work full time and there are lots of requests out there.

If it is close I can access Nottm archives and investigate further. What exactly do you want to know? I also have a friend who is a steam buff and may be able to point me in the right direction for rail enquiries.

I live about 2 miles from Attenborough and go over the crossing most weeks to our sailing club. We sail on Attenborough Nature Reserve. Photos etc will be easy for instance.

PM me if you like.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 May 06 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have looked in my local library collection of directories but they only had 1832 and 1836 neither of which gave the name of the stationmaster at Attenborough.  There wasn't anyone named SWIFT in the list of residents either. 

So on Tuesday when the Archive is open again after the Bank Holiday I will go into Nottingham and have a look at their collection of directories which should be greater than the one the local libraries have.  If that fails I will have a look to see if there is anything on the local history shelves in the Archive and if the City library has a local history book on the Attenborough area. 

Offline martync

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 May 06 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane and missprim,

I think I have my answer. Today I went up to the The Central England Family History Fair at Buxton and went to Hazelwood where the Anthony and then his son were Stationmasters. In the churchyard I found Herbert's wife Martha's grave and buried with her is Harry Gilson Swift who died 2 Jan 1928, before that newspaper article was written so I think that it must have been Herbert A Swift at Attenborough.

Thank you both so much for your help it is much appreciated.

All the best,
Martyn
Collier - Leicestershire