Author Topic: Diacono  (Read 16970 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diacono
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 May 06 08:51 BST (UK) »
It would also be worth looking in GenesReunited. There are several people expressing an interest in the surname, including someone for

Cora Louisa Carmella 1878 Southwark

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lucygrasshopper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 May 06 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi again.   You have been marvelous, and I am slow to digest what you have found but I will get there.

What happened to them and what have I done to find these people?

I live in Australia.  I found 29 Diacono families and wrote to each by snail mail...some were interconnected. I got two hits - but nothing to confirm. These people were not related to my Diacono.

I have scoured every website I can find.
maltagenealogy.com, cityoflondon,  familysearch.com, britishgenealogy.com (most helpful), maltamigration.com, nationalarchivist.com, DiVe.com, GenesReunited (with my brother helping)
1837online.com (very helpful), ancestry.co.uk, britishhistoryonline, familyrelative.org, and what I came up with was as follows:

The name Diacono is Maltese (but not in origin) - with roots in Rome as far back as Charlemagne.

Maltese Diaconos did not lose their nationality if they migrated to places like Suez, Alexandria, England - they had British Passports with MALTA stamped in the front cover.

I found what I think is Louisa Annie Philipine Diacono's Death at sea in 1880, on a ship called the "Almora"
It was a British Consular Record.

When I tried to get the death Certificate, I couldn't because the computer insisted I put in dd/mm and I only had the year.

Cora Louisa was my grandmother.  She died in Australia in 1937...this is well enough documented.

Frederick Robert Diacono - he seemingly disappeared.

I have been unable to even find passport details for himself, Louisa Annie nor for then, baby Cora.

Jane Diacono is not a name I know.

I know a Diacono name to be Carmela.

There was a Carmela Diacono in British Record, who died in Alexandria in the 5 year period 1901 to 1905. She was 66 years old and could have easily been Fredericks Mother.

I have only found this out in the past few days.

Until this morning, I didn't know who his father was, but now I know him to be Joseph Laurence Diacono.

I have sourced Diacono's in France to no avail.  My contact was a Diacono and a genealogist - she could not help.

In Australia there is a fellow called Julius  - he researched the Diacono family - No - he has no Frederick Robert Diacono.

Believe me, I have scoured the Mediterranean for this man - these folk used ships as we do cars on highways.

I was also told that, sometimes, a person applying for a Passport, could change their first name at the Passport office - my Australian contact did this in Cairo.  The name change was to be more acceptable.

Frederick was in Alexandria - I have a photo of him with Alexandria printed on the front.   He was in Cyprus, because he mailed the same photo to his Mother In Law in England from there.

Cora was a baby in Egypt "fed on asses milk"  She later turned up in Sliema in Malta.

Oral history says that Frederick re-married and had three more children, Joseph, David and Irima.

Cora, as a child, apparently could not get on with her step mother and was packed off to England to be with her Grandmother Louisa Isabella - this is true because I have found Cora and her Grandmother on the 1891, and 1901 Censuses.  Her Grandmother died in 1904.  Cora married in 1905 (Walter Robert Deller Fawcett), came to Australia - and died in 1937.

Frederick Disappeared!  

Glamorgan was the only place I knew there were Diacono families which I had not tried.

I am wary of Oral history - my Aunt is 85 and blind...her memory is not the best...but I go with the flow.

She did however, tell me she thought Frederick was stabbed to death either at sea or in Cyprus.  No Date No Nothing...just hearsay.

Even so, if he had an English Passport, to work and live in England, surely his death would have been reported to an English Consulate or perhaps from the ship on which the incident occurred.

I think that is it - a novella really.

I am getting on in years myself and with limited means.  When I started, I had no idea the task my Aunt had set me.

Thank you for assistance thus far. I am now working on the URL above.
Thank you, and I apologise for any misleading information I may have given - you are working so hard on my account.

Lucy

PS  I have been advised that two new posts came in while I was typing.  Yes - these could have been my search.  I am hunting all over for Frederick Robert Diacono. I seemingly have traced all the others to a degree.

Valda - GenesReunited - yes this is my Grandmother. I have this information

Rhys - yes - as written in this post - I discovered this too.

Valda - The names Jane, Beatrice - John - don't ring any bells...

Item details: FO 847/23    : quick reference 
Regina vs. Giuseppe L. Dicacono and Frederick R. Diacono

The Guiseppe L Diacono!  Now - this rings bells.  He has obviously changed his name as this is the equivalent of Joseph....Father and Son.

Is it possible Frederick fled some legal jurisdiction?

Now you have hit something.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 May 06 16:15 BST (UK) »
These are the Diacono documents mentioned in the online catalogue (which only covers a relatively small amount of documents held at TNA). Without looking at the actual documents themselves I can't say what information they may contain.

BT 372/1852/111 R632063 DIACONO O 03/08/1931 MALTA 1913-1972

FO 841/69 Giovanni Diacono 1901

FO 841/98 Edgar Diacono v Robert Diacono 1908

FO 841/103 Alfred Rizzo v. Robert Diacono Liquidator of Egyptian Directory & Advertising Co. Ltd. 1909

FO 841/180 Probate: Estate Olga Diacono 1919

FO 847/21 Wills and Co. and Joseph Diacono 1892

FO 847/23 Regina vs. Giuseppe L. Dicacono and Frederick R. Diacono 1892

FO 847/208 Estate of Diacono 1945

HS 9/430 Henry Louis Antoine DIACONO aka Henri L.A. GARNIER, aka PLAYBOY, aka PONCHO; Peter Jack DIAPER; Arthur Henry Alexander DIBBS; Harry Torrens DIBLEY; Eugene DICHELETTE or Eugene DIESCHELETTE aka Emile DIGONNET aka PERRICHOC aka Emile ELLIPSE; George DICKENS; William Arthur DICKENS; Ivy Elizabeth DICKINSON 1939 Jan 01 - 1946 Dec 31

HS 9/430/1 Henri Louis Antoine DIACONO, aka Henri GARNIER, aka PLAYBOY, aka PONCHO - born 23.06.1923 1939-1946

WO 374/19497 DIACONO, Lieut H V 1917-1922

From The Times 4th June 1928

M.B.E. Civil Division
Diacono Robert Esq. President of the Maltese community in Cairo

Regards

Valda

Offline lucygrasshopper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 May 06 20:58 BST (UK) »
Valda - this stuff is amazing...however, I guess it is wise to keep my eye on the donut and not on the hole, so...would have to go with the names.

It would seem there was some Legal stuff going on.

I do hope he is not the "Playboy".

...you say "without looking at the actual documents themselves, I can't say what information they may contain"

How would I go about doing this.

The names I will follow are Frederick, Joseph, Giuseppe.  And the dates.

Any leads in this direction would be most appreciated.

I must congratulate you on this work.  I would not have had a hope this far Down Under.

Your further advice would be appreciated.

Thank you all for your magnificent help.

Lucy

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 May 06 08:31 BST (UK) »
Also from The Times but I'm not sure whether these announcements connect to the family you are interested in and it doesn't follow the first event is necessarily connected to the others.

24th August 1920
Births
Diacono on 17th August at Glymenopolo Alexandria, the wife of George Diacono (nee Pearse), of a son.

12th June 1943
Marriage
Diacono Marshall on 17th April, at St Barnabas Church Manmad India. Captain G. Lawrence Diacono, Royal Sussex Regiment, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. George Diacono of Hastings, to Olive Sybil, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs E. N. C. Marshall of Manmad.

19th July 1946
Births
Diacono on 16th July 1946, at Summer Court Nursing Home Southborough, to Olive, wife of Lt Col. G. L Diacono, a daughter (Priscilla Jane).

27th December 1968
Forth coming marriages
Mr K M T Ryan and Miss P. J. Diacono
The engagement is announced between Kevin, younger son of Dr. and Mrs C. C. Ryan of Thorpe Bay, Essex and Priscilla, younger daughter of Lieutenant Colonel and Mrs G. L. Diacono of Aldermaston, Berkshire and Paris, France.

In the end I think she married someone called Newman. A later son of Lt Colonel Diacono by another wife married in 1982.

Since all of these may be completely irrelevant to your line one way to check might be if any Diacono births, marriages or deaths that you can connect, were registered abroad with British consuls, in which case you will find them in the overseas section of the civil registration index which you can access at 1837online. Have you checked this source?

The documents at TNA
Because you have the exact reference you can request a quote from TNA on photocopying but there may be pages of the documents that are irrelevant or do not concern your Diacono line so this would be an expensive process. The other way is to engage a researcher to look at the documents for you and extract any relevant information.

Regards

Valda

Offline lucygrasshopper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 May 06 22:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for you information Valda - an thank you to all others for their assistance.

The births and marriages  can only become relevant when I manage to track down Frederick Robert or his father Joseph (Guiseppe).  So this will be my first line of action.

I assume the TNA you mention is the Times Newspaper of that era.

Before I set off on my journey of "discovery", would you be so kind as to let me know What the TNA really is, and...how to contact them.

It is my intention to sign up with 1837online for unlimited access so that I can start tracing these folk

Please leave a reply if you can.
Lucy

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 May 06 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucy

TNA is short for the National Archives:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

I am sure Valda will tell you which bit she was looking at, but you could try putting the references into the Search box, pro tem.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 May 06 05:40 BST (UK) »
The National Archives previously known as PRO (Public Records Office) is the official repository in this country of records generated by government departments such as the Foreign Office (FO), the War Office (WO) and so on.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/default.asp

Click 'search the catalogue'

You will get the same information I have already given you. You can request an estimate from TNA for photcopying a document if you have the reference.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/recordcopying/

Engaging a researcher might in the end be significantly cheaper and the researcher may have the possibility of finding further references to other documents at TNA which have not been indexed online and can not be found just from an electronic search of the catalogue. TNA has about 10 million entries in their online catalogue, a 'tiny drop in the ocean' as far as their overall holdings are concerned (about 50 miles of shelved documents not all of which can even be stored onsite).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Archives_(UK)

Searching the whole TNA site from the welcome page of TNA that Arranroots has given you, will also give you 'Documents online entries' - nothing further there I think of interest to you. These are documents TNA have already microfilmed and estimated the cost of photocpying or sending an electronic copy of, so you can order them direct from TNA without the need of being charged for them to search for you and for you to pay the cost of their estimation service (whether you chose in the end to have copies of the documents made or not).

Documents online is at

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

Regards

Valda

Offline lucygrasshopper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 May 06 23:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you kindly.  I think I can go forward from here.

You have all been very good to me.

Cheers for now
Lucy