Author Topic: COMPLETED...Anyone going to Huntly Cemetery, New Zealand?  (Read 6707 times)

Offline allycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The Cantwell Knights of Strongbow 1170
    • View Profile
COMPLETED...Anyone going to Huntly Cemetery, New Zealand?
« on: Saturday 27 May 06 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi.  Can someone let me know how can I find out where someone is buried in Huntly Cemetery?  I don't think there's an on-line list anywhere as I have been searching.  Looking for the grave of my husband's grandfather, Charles Maynard MARRINER.

Thanks, Allycat, Queensland, Australia.
Abrams, Amor, Attwood, Bancroft, Bragier, Brennan, Bryant, Buchan, Cantwell, Cruse, Commins, Cullum, Debus, Denner, Dinner, DuCroix, Flanze, Gilkes, Greaves, Guthiel, Hansford, Hayes, Hokaanga, Homewood, Hoy, Inns, Jahn, King, Knee, Marriner, May, McCarron, McCavel, McCrohon, McFarlane, Merry, Milne, Montgomery, Most, Mott, Orth, Parker, Pine, Roads, Rueping, Sear, Siegner, Stanaway, Voss, Weber, Wheeler, Whitehall, Woodcock

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone go to Huntly Cemetery in Auckland, New Zealand?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 May 06 00:18 BST (UK) »
You want to know where he is buried or the details off the headstone ?

Huntly is closer to Hamilton than Auckland.

Most NZ libs will have a copy of the SOG cemetery records.

Offline allycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone go to Huntly Cemetery in Auckland, New Zealand?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 May 06 01:19 BST (UK) »
Dear Mk2_Zephyr, burial details and/or what is on his headstone.  Any information really.  Sorry, we don't know a thing.  Plus hubby has been in Oz since he was a baby and we have never been to NZ so sorry for geographical mixup re Huntly being closer to Hamilton than Auckland.

I've been looking through some library details that are on-line but can't find a thing re the grandfather.  He may be buried next to his 2nd wife, Ellen Mavis.  His 1st wife's name was Isabell Rosie PETERS, but she's not ancestor in family tree.

Q.How can I get copy of this 'SOG' Cemetery Record?

Thank you so much for your help.  Regards, Allycat in Queensland.
Abrams, Amor, Attwood, Bancroft, Bragier, Brennan, Bryant, Buchan, Cantwell, Cruse, Commins, Cullum, Debus, Denner, Dinner, DuCroix, Flanze, Gilkes, Greaves, Guthiel, Hansford, Hayes, Hokaanga, Homewood, Hoy, Inns, Jahn, King, Knee, Marriner, May, McCarron, McCavel, McCrohon, McFarlane, Merry, Milne, Montgomery, Most, Mott, Orth, Parker, Pine, Roads, Rueping, Sear, Siegner, Stanaway, Voss, Weber, Wheeler, Whitehall, Woodcock

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone going to Huntly Cemetery, New Zealand?
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 May 06 01:40 BST (UK) »
Hello.

He is not listed in the AGCI but there are some Marriner inc one
Charles Croxton Marriner, all at Purewa, Auckland, and I cannot
say if all of the burials at Purewa are in the AGCI, so maybe he
is also at this location?.

Mike.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline allycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 May 06 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hey there Mike, Charles Croxton Marriner could be related to Charles Maynard Marriner I suppose.  As I said don't really know much, it was told to us that he was buried at Huntly though. But this could be wrong.

Charlie was probably born C1900-C1910 and he died in the 80s.  That's all we know.  He was of part Maori origins too.

Al.

Offline alamar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 June 06 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Allycat. Although I live in Christchurch I am travelling to Hamilton this weekend for a family wedding. Part of my plans are to call into the Huntly cemetery because my HUNTER gt grandparents are buried there. I will keep a lookout for Marriner for you but there may not be a headstone to view. The cemetery is administered by the Waikato District Council who keep the register. They sent me a map which shows the location of my gt grandparents and will have similar details re your man. Google will find them for you. They were very helpful to me. Will let you know how I get on.

Alamar
Living in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Offline allycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 June 06 07:23 BST (UK) »
Dear Alamar, thank you for your kind gesture.  And I hope you have success locating your HUNTER great grandparents' grave/s and enjoy the happy occasion of a wedding.

If you do find the grave of Charlie/Charles Maynard MARRINER, would you record the details on the headstone if any?  His 1st wife was Isabell Rosie PETERS and his 2nd wife was Ellen Mavis HOMEWOOD or MILLS.  I mention their names also as they may be nearby.

Regards,
Allycat.

Offline alamar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 June 06 08:10 BST (UK) »
OK Allycat here is you answer.  The MARRINER gravestone is a large polished black one. The mirror surface made photographing it difficult.  Across the top is the name MARRINER and flower  motifs decorate the sides. The inscription reads ELLEN MAVIS died 29. 5. 84 aged 73 years CHARLES MAYNARD died 19. 8. 84 aged 76 years. At the bottom a further inscription  “Loved parents of all their families”. A photograph of each of them is affixed to the stone and it was surrounded by plastic flowers. Did not see any other Marriner headstones but I noted there were a few of them in the Waikato telephone book. I will get the photos I took posted thru rootschat as soon as I can.

alamar
Living in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Offline allycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 June 06 08:45 BST (UK) »
Dear Alamar, Hi.  My heartfelt thanks to you for finding these two graves.  That was all I required.  But if you did go to the trouble of photographing the headstones, I would be grateful of same.  You could attach photograph or image at the bottom of your reply.

I do not require you to lookup people's names in the telephone book but thank you anyway.

Hope the wedding you attended was enjoyable and also that you were able to find your ancestors' graves.

Sincerely, Allycat. :D