Author Topic: Any Smiths from Jersey-U.K.?  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Smithy76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Any Smiths from Jersey-U.K.?
« on: Sunday 28 May 06 19:27 BST (UK) »
Now I know this seems like an absurd undertaking, with Smith being as common as it is...but I've been looking for so long that I'm staring to assume that there are no living relatives of MY Smith line...
My family hails from Jersey...they were there for the 1891 Census and thereafter...The family and its descendants I'm looking for consisted of:
Joseph Smith Sr. born 1850's..married Marie Louise L'Amy ....Had Children..Gertrude, Kathryn, George, Bernard, Joseph (my Gr-Grandfather killed 1916 in WW1 fighting for Canada, Married to Laura Smith had Joseph Murray Smith my Grandfather died 2005 in Toronto, Ontario)
The only story that I have to go on, with regards to any relatives..
During the Second World War my Grandfather was stationed in England with the Canadian Artillery and he was billeted (or visited) his Aunt. I don't know which one or where but it lends itself to having someone living on the Mainland of the UK. Any stories, info would be so appreciated. Thanks
Jesse Smith..29. Vancouver, B.C. Can.
Smith!

Offline Smithy76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Any Smiths from Jersey-U.K.?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 May 06 21:10 BST (UK) »
More of an 'editors note' than reply...
I know that Jersey was occupied during the Second World War and a lot of people fled to the mainland...Does this mean that there might exist some reports of lists of the people that fled? And where would one find these records?
Smith!

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 20:38 GMT (UK) »
hi was he born 1855 st martin if so his father was from the isle of white   raa

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 09:12 GMT (UK) »
I don't recall seeing a list of people who left the island at the oubreak of the war, but there are lists of applicants of people who wished to return. These are held at the Archive Centre.

Stewart

Offline Smithy76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 February 08 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello all Smiths!
I just wanted to to let everyone know that I am know the proud father of 'Price Taylor Smith!' My son was born on Feb 15th at 1:29am.
I also wanted to let people living in the U.K. know that my band 'Birds of Wales'
will be touring across your great country starting March 18th in Brighton!
Please check out www.birdsofwales.com to find out when we're in your neck of the woods!!
I hope everyone is well and I look forward to meeting some of you!
Much Love from Canada!
Jesse Taylor Smith
Smith!