Author Topic: Duke of Westminsters Yeomanry  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Aussie Doug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duke of Westminsters Yeomanry
« on: Tuesday 30 May 06 09:17 BST (UK) »
Whilst going through my Nan's journal, I came across some notes she made about how she meet Grandad.
In 1914 Nan,s parents ran the Coach and Horses at Handbridge (Chester) where the Boy's from Eaton Hall members of the Duke's" Yeomanry came to drink. I have always wondered about two photographs that I have from my parents showing soldiers in their barracks which was always a mystery, as I know that Grandad was in the RFC as he won a Boxing Championship at Farnborough in 1917.
(It would also appear that he won the Army/Navy Championship in 1915 according to Nan).
As my research indicates that the Yeomanry was actually a Hussar Formation before going to an Infantry Formation in 1916 (I think)
I am attaching two photos of some of the boys but I cannot make out the cap badge. I believe the pictures may have been taken at Brighton as the reverse of one gives the name of one trooper ( George Newlands) and the horse my have been called 'Snake'??!!
Can any one help me (PS my Grandfathers name was John Davenport and he was a 'TT' according to Nan, what ever that meant?)

Thanks Aussie Doug
Davenport, Hadfield, Patten, Hassall, Armstrong, Graham, Ward, Fancourt, Corfield.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Duke of Westminsters Yeomanry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Doug, the cap badge shown is that of the Royal Artillery.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Aussie Doug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 June 06 08:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks,

But now I am really confused!

Aussie Doug
Davenport, Hadfield, Patten, Hassall, Armstrong, Graham, Ward, Fancourt, Corfield.

Offline jersey07

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 21:43 GMT (UK) »
dear doug  my grandfather charles newlands born west ham 1915, his stepfather was george newlands nicknamed curly he was born in new zealand. he lived in the london area around this time could it be him?regaurds wayne jersey07

Offline Skoggie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 May 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Aussie dog,

I have only just come across your post.
The Coach and Horses in Handbridge Chester was at 17 Handbridge, just to the right as you leave Chester by the old bridge, (bottom of Bridge Street). You can see it quite clearly on Google Earth Street View. It is a bit sad looking these days. It is occupied by a company selling corporate wear and uniforms.
At the time of the 1911 census the Landlord was George H Moore, an ancestor of my Wife's. His Father was Thomas Moore who was born in Mauritius when his Father a Sergeant in the Cheshire Militia was stationed there.
The Cheshire Militia were based in the Castle in Chester and the barracks over the road where what is now The Abode hotel is built, (previously the Cheshire Police headquarters).