Author Topic: Rumleigh  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rumleigh
« on: Wednesday 31 May 06 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anybody know of any books in their local library regarding the history of Rumleigh in the parish of Bere Ferrers, which I could obtain via the library interlone system?

Thanks, Jayson
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Norfg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rumleigh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 July 21 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, Jayson.
You may well have moved on from your Rumleigh/Bayley postings, but I have only just noticed them.

I had been looking at ROBERT TUCKER PAIN (1840-1942) to do with my local history work on Exmouth, Devon.
Robert's first wife was EMMA BAYLEY ( m.St.Margaret's Church, Westminster, 1870). She was the daughter of James Bayley, Williston Hall, Cheshire, and Rumleigh, Beer Alston,Devon.

Robert was an artist, but from a wealthy family. Together they were selfless in the time they gave to charitable and "good" works in Exmouth.
Emma died at Ryll Grove, their fine house, Feb.22nd 1898.

That may not add much to info.on Rumleigh, but I thought the Emma connection might be of interest.
Families of Goodman brothers (Edward,Joseph,Arthur); emigrated from Rockingham,Northamptonshire to the US, Edward & Joseph in 1900 ;Arthur in 1893. Places include: Ionia in Michigan; various towns in Madison Co.,Wisconsin. Also South Dakota. Later: Greeley in Colorado. Elise or Eliselise (married Arthur) born Wisonsin, daughter of German immigrants (no maidenname as yet).  Edward married Bathsheba/Bessie Cox, daughter of William Cox.  Joseph married Dena Grebner. She was from Wisc.

Offline suzanne2812

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Great, Great Granny Willoughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 July 21 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I live in Bere Alston, which is closer to Rumleigh. I can help as much as I can. I run the local Facebook page 'Bere & West Devon History Group' along with helping to start up our local history group.

There aren't any books directly about Rumleigh, but it appears in two local publications. I'm not sure if they are available online though. One was written by the Bere Local History Group. Bere Ferrers Parish Then & Now. Also a publication by Rev Arthur J.C. Beddow ' A History of Bere Ferrer Parish'. This has just been published again by the church & originally published in 1975.

Regards Suzanne.

Offline suzanne2812

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Great, Great Granny Willoughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 July 21 22:13 BST (UK) »
I just had a quick look & Rumleigh isn't mentioned much. I will ask on my page.

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi suzanne and Norfg

I wasn’t expecting a reply to this thread after all these years.

I was - and still am - researching my Bayley family history and from the information I gathered back in 2006 I discovered that they lived for a period of time at Rumleigh, however not knowing the area at all well, I wanted to know more. It turned out that they lived at Rumleigh House. This was purchased by James Franklin in the late 18th century and became the property of his daughter Elizabeth. She married James Bayley of Stapeley, Cheshire. In 1832 he inherited Willaston Hall and James took his family back to Cheshire.

I got chance to visit Rumleigh and St Andrew’s Church Bere Ferrers where some of James and Elizabeth’s children are buried. It’s such a beautiful place.

I have a photograph of Robert Tucker Pain but not one of his wife, Emma, sadly.

Jay
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Norfg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 July 21 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hello, Jay.
Thank you for your reply.
It was good to read that you had been to Rumleigh and Bere Ferrers.  A lovely part of Devon.

Norman.
Families of Goodman brothers (Edward,Joseph,Arthur); emigrated from Rockingham,Northamptonshire to the US, Edward & Joseph in 1900 ;Arthur in 1893. Places include: Ionia in Michigan; various towns in Madison Co.,Wisconsin. Also South Dakota. Later: Greeley in Colorado. Elise or Eliselise (married Arthur) born Wisonsin, daughter of German immigrants (no maidenname as yet).  Edward married Bathsheba/Bessie Cox, daughter of William Cox.  Joseph married Dena Grebner. She was from Wisc.

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 October 21 15:41 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon Suzanne,
On the 1901 census, Rumleigh House is listed between Rumleigh Farm (higher) and Rumleigh Farm (lower). However, on the current OS map, there is only one Rumleigh Farm shown. Do you know if this would be the historically named "higher" or "lower" farm. Has one of them been renamed or demolished?
My interest lies in the presence in the 1901 census of my paternal grandmother, Kate Spry, a 17 year old servant at Rumleigh Farm (higher). The farmer at that time was a Mr.Thomas Martin.
I would be grateful for any light you may be able to shed on this.
Many thanks,
David.
Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.

Offline Jools1877

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 December 22 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
   I'm looking for any information on a Henry (Harry) W Cox who is living and working at Rumleigh House at he time of the 1939 registrar. Thank you. Julie.