Author Topic: Freeman of City of York  (Read 1418 times)

Offline familysearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Freeman of City of York
« on: Thursday 01 June 06 16:23 BST (UK) »
what exactly did this mean?

I have a copy of a certificate for my step fathers great uncle becoming a freeman of the city - he was 20 at the time which seems a bit young to be awarded an honour.

Was it something that happened to all trades when they finished their apprenticeships?

Sue
Geen - Glamorgan/Devon/Birmingham
Lewis - Glamorgan/Monmouthshire
Cutter - Co Durham/Northumberland/Yorkshire
Hunter - Co Durham/Northumberland/Yorkshire
Siveter/Siviter - Birmingham

Census infromation is  Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Freeman of City of York
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 June 06 19:10 BST (UK) »

A freeman is one who held the full rights of citizenship, such as voting and engaging in business (as opposed to an indentured servant). a man who was free of trade taxes and who shared in the profits of the borough in which he lived and traded, a tenant who was free of feudal service and a man who had served his apprenticeship and who could then work at his trade in his own right. In the city of London nearly all freemen became so by virtue of being freemen of a City Guild. On attaining company freedom, a man would automatically apply for the freedom of the City. He was entitled to call himself ‘Citizen’.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline familysearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 June 06 18:53 BST (UK) »
thanks for this - will have to do a bit more research!
Geen - Glamorgan/Devon/Birmingham
Lewis - Glamorgan/Monmouthshire
Cutter - Co Durham/Northumberland/Yorkshire
Hunter - Co Durham/Northumberland/Yorkshire
Siveter/Siviter - Birmingham

Census infromation is  Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline harrison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 August 06 21:11 BST (UK) »
I was born in York & whilst researching my family history I discovered that a branch of MY were Freemen of the City of York,they became Freemen on completion of their respective aprenticeships,as a result of this discovery I am entitled to become a Freeman of York & will be attending the Freemanship ceromony in October.  Joan.
Harrison,Spears,Stead,Garthwaite,Holiday/Holliday,Sharp/e,Smurthwaite,Hick/s,Bendelow,Foxton,Lund,Buttle,Longden,White......
Thirsk.Malton.Kirkbymoorside.York.Darlington,Home on Spalding Moor.Tockwith,Lincoln,Essex.