Author Topic: Please -1841,1851 Edward Alexander- Spitalfields  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Daffodilly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Please -1841,1851 Edward Alexander- Spitalfields
« on: Thursday 01 June 06 17:50 BST (UK) »
I hope this is the right place to put this.

I have an Edward Alexander born about 1832 in Spitalfields( from 1861 and 71 census) but I can't find him on the 1841 or 1851 census. 

He married Dec 1851 in St George in the East with 1 Princes Square given as his address. 

The IGI shows an Edward Christened 2/5/1830 at Spitalfields Christchurch Stepney, father Robert Alexander and mother Margaret. 

His marriage cert also gives his father as Robert so this could be his birth.  Father has Gunmaker as his occupation and Edward is cabinet maker on the marriage cert.

In 1861 Edward and family are in Birmingham 1861 census and onwards so it is just 41 and 51 I can't find him.  I am hoping that one of these would give more information about his family and parents.

I have tried looking at Warwickshire too.

It would be lovely if someone could point me in the right direction.  Thanks for reading this.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Please -1841,1851 Edward Alexander- Spitalfields
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 June 06 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, 1841 All I could find was a Margaret age 35 a female Servant  born Scotland in the household of a Marie Edwards 40 Ind. Not born in the County
701/15/6

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 June 06 22:24 BST (UK) »
Knowing the names of two of Edward (baptised Spitalfields) 's possible  siblings may help

WILLIAM AMBROSE ALEXANDER
Christening: 25 DEC 1826 Spitalfields Christ Church, Stepney, London

THOMAS ALEXANDER
Christening: 23 SEP 1827 Spitalfields Christ Church, Stepney, London

However this Prerogative Court of Canterbury will might be Robert's and might expalin the difficulty in finding the family on the 1841 census.

Will of Robert Alexander, Gun Stock Maker of Saint Mary Whitechapel , Middlesex 18 June 1838 PROB 11/1896

Deaths Jun 1838
ALEXANDER  Robert     Whitechapel  2 451

It could just be a coincidence. Unfortunately it was not standard practice to put deceased on marriage certificates for fathers, so the absence of the word deceased for Edward's father on his marriage does not necessarily mean he wasn't.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 June 06 22:55 BST (UK) »

The 1851 for 1, Princes Sq is Ho107/ 1547 fol (100-105). No sign of 'im.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Daffodilly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 June 06 23:33 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you all for your help, it is amazing what fresh eyes can do isn't it?

Jennifer, I wonder where Margaret is then, perhaps she has died too.

Valda, they will be really useful to help track down the family in 1841 hopefully.  It is the lack of the word 'deceased' that has probably slowed me down as I have been looking for Edward with his father.  Edward's son Robert's Grandson was also a Gun Stock Maker.  I think I need to order the death certificate and see who the informant was as that might give me a clue.

Pauline, I didn't know how to find the address and check that way so am really grateful.  His wife was Sarah Sofia Jones at the same address, so I can try looking for her there too.

thank you all so much for your help, I had felt really stuck on this one but I have some new information now, I am really grateful.

P.s.  Valda, is there a way of getting to look at the Will, this is a new area of research for me?

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 June 06 23:52 BST (UK) »
If you are taking the risk and ordering some documentation for the Robert who died in 1838 then I suggest you order his will not his death certificate. It will also be cheaper (£3.50) and should be a lot more informative than his death certificate. You just place an order with The National Archives and they will send an electronic copy of the will to you (they can sometimes be a little difficult to read because they were copied in secretarial hand). If it proves to be your Robert and he isn't concise to the point of irritation i.e. everything to my wife and children, you will obtain further details of his then close living family. If the will does specify his children you can follow his children further through the Estate Duty records at The National Archives. These are tax records and specify the beneficaries of wills, often following them for the next few years and sometimes giving their death dates and the married  names of daughters. For an 1838 will, you would have to find the correct Estate Duty record for yourself on microfilm either at TNA or the Family Records Centre. As yet there is nothing indexed online.

This is where you can order Robert's will from

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

click on advanced search on the left and put into the search Robert's details and then follow the shopping basket.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daffodilly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 June 06 10:04 BST (UK) »
Valda,

I have downloaded the will and it could be Edward's Grandfather as he mentions his 'son Robert, now residing in Birmingham, a gun maker' who could be Edward's father.  As you said, it is hard to read and the copy is very dark. It is amazing though to just be able to download it straight away from the 'net.

My family have just pointed out what time it is, so I shall have to have a look at the census again tonight and see if I can find him.  I am so excited, it is a shame to have to stop now!

Thank you ever so much for your help in this.

Daff