Author Topic: Coach and Horses - Handbridge  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Aussie Doug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coach and Horses - Handbridge
« on: Saturday 03 June 06 08:55 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information about the C&H pub that used to be in Handbridge somewhere. It was run for a time by my Great Grandfather, John Patten who took up the licence in about 1911 after retiring (the 1901 has him as a Steam Boat Captain living in Saltney).
It was here in 1915 my Nan first met my Grandad, the serving in the Duke of Westminsters Yeomanry 'B' Sqd. I think, stationed at Eaton Hall.
From my Nan's Journal I believe the pub no longer exists, but was supposed to be located in an area known as Flint Mountain??????

Hope someone can throw a bit of light!

Aussie Doug

Davenport, Hadfield, Patten, Hassall, Armstrong, Graham, Ward, Fancourt, Corfield.

Offline lubbie

• I am sorry but my emails have stopped working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Coach and Horses - Handbridge
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 June 06 21:42 BST (UK) »
hi i live not far from chester and we think the pub is now called cross keys and is down by the river dee.
hope this helps.
sue

Offline Aussie Doug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 June 06 08:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue,

I shall look into this, and see what I can find out.

Again thanks for taking the trouble.

Aussie Doug
Davenport, Hadfield, Patten, Hassall, Armstrong, Graham, Ward, Fancourt, Corfield.

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 July 06 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Aussie Doug
I am trawling around the board trying to find a member,cant remember his name ??? I just came across your post about the pub and by coincidence i am copying all the pages of Pubs from the various Cheshire Directories ( pubs are not  in all of them for some reason).Also from The Liverpool ones.because they wont be on the net forever,  And questions like yours are always popping up so i am hoping these When finished will be of use to other members. I Only finished and printed out of the first Cheshire one Yesterday 1902.  I also Have the 1894 for L,Pool  all 11 pages ;D                     

Cheshire Directories 1902
The coach & Horses, Mrs H Webb,17 Handbridge Chester

Cheers Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Treesearch2020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 June 20 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
My 4th gt grandmother was possibly the publican of the Coach and Horses.  I've copied this from my search:

The Coach & Horses (no. 17), landlord in 1778 William Ball, in 1809 Daniel Gibson, in 1818-20 G Williams, in 1822-3 J Williams, in 1828 Joseph Sadler, in 1840 John Jones, in 1850 Elizabeth Jones, in 1871 George Edwards, in 1880 Robert Webb, in 1895 T Richards, in 1902 Mrs H Webb, in 1910 Mrs M Moore, in 1920 John Patten. The licence was withdrawn in 1922

Hope it helps.  The pub is no longer there.  I can think of only 4 or 5 pubs left in Handbridge nowadays.  The actual Flint Mountain is at least 20 miles from Chester, in Wales so I'm not sure of that connection.  I have not heard of any area still known as that around Chester.  However if the C&H is where I think it was there was an area called the Rock nearby.  It's a sheer guess but maybe it was jokingly called Flint mountain by locals.

Regards
Janice

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 June 20 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, Flint Mountain is a village between Flint and Northop in North Wales about 15 miles from Handbridge. There is a pub there called the Coach & Horses. Its closed at present like all our other pubs due to Lockdown. Do you think this could be the place?
Ray

Offline Treesearch2020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've googled 17 Handbridge, where the pub used to be.  Unfortunately I don't see where I can attach the screenshots of the map and street view.  If you try yourself you can see the building is a little shop called Revive. 
Janice

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 14:24 BST (UK) »
You can't put attachments on Look Up Boards. Street View https://goo.gl/maps/Rf3fiXGiT5qQMSar6

This side by side shows the old map and the present view. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=53.18464&lon=-2.88763&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk