Author Topic: 1891 look up for Dumbartonshire please  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
1891 look up for Dumbartonshire please
« on: Friday 22 October 04 22:24 BST (UK) »
If anyone has access to the 1891 census for Old Kilpatrick, I would be greatful for help.
I am searching for the family living at -
27 Old Street, Duntocher, (parish of Old Kilpatrick)  DNB.

In 1894, John Gallacher is a witness on the death cert. of my GG Aunt Jane Stewart - he says he is her "brother in law", and his address is given as 27 Old Street, Duntocher.
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 look up for Dumbartonshire please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 November 05 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debbie, the 1891 census for Old or West Kilpatrick has 9 John Gallachers, think we can discount 3 of them :-) I don't mind having a look if you can give me a clue about one of the others.

John Gallacher aged 60
John Gallacher  aged 40
John Gallacher  aged 32
John Gallacher  aged 24
John Gallacher  aged 7
John Gallacher  aged 2
John Gallacher  aged 21
John Gallacher  aged 27
John Gallacher  aged 3

regards,

Lindsay
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 November 05 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindsay!

Thanks for the list of John's in the 1891. :)

My John would have been abt. 54 years old in the 1891 census, so on the face of it, none of those seem to fit!  But knowing how ages tend to get messed up, my best guess would be the 60 year old one.

Another clue would be John's son - John Gallacher Jr.
He was born in 1869, and should be still living at home with his parents John & Mary in 1891.  He would appear to be the 21 year old on your list.

Many thanks!!
Debbie

Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie, the 21 year old is living at 4, McLeods Land, Duntocher with his parents, Bernard aged 50 and Catherine aged 41.

John Gallacher, aged 60 from Ireland is living with his wife Ann aged 52 at McLeods Back Land.

Sounds like McLeod himself wasn't short of a bob or two!

John, aged 32 is living at 8, Lochiel Terrace, Clydebank with his wife Elizabeth aged 30 and John F. aged 3

John, aged 24 is living at Kays Land, Old Kilpatrick with his wife, Margaret aged 20 and John and James, 3 and 4 months respectively.

John aged 27 from Ireland, boarder living at 7 Hume Street, Clydebank

John aged 40, a widower from Ireland living with his mother Mary, aged 70 and his children, Mary aged 7, James aged 5 and another daughter aged 3 whose name I can't read, looks like Met? living at Canal Street, Clydebank. Next door to them there are also two boarders by the name of Gallacher - Joseph aged 19 and Bernard aged 22 living with a Somebody Brayson and his wife Mary.

I wasn't going to bother with the 7 year old but what the heck, don't think the others have helped any ...

So, he is a Patrick Gallacher, aged 34 from Ireland (where else  :), in case I didn't mention it, the majority of the adults are) with wife Mary aged 31 and James 11, Patrick  10, John 7, Owen 5 and Daniel 1 at Thatch House in Duntocher.

Hope someone else is looking for Gallachers  :P

regards,

Lindsay

STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, I don't believe it...
I have gone through my entire list of Gallachers, and none of these fit!  Aargh....

Could the family possibly be enumerated as Gallagher?

There should be - on Old Street, Duntocher
John - age abt. 54
Mary abt 50
Mary, Hannah, Fanny, John, Francis, Margaret, James, Edward, and youngest - Jane born 1877 so should still be with her parents.
Some of the older children are probably married and away from home by this time.

I'm not sure if you are working from the 1891 index?  Or do you have the fiche of the census at home?
I don't want to be putting you to any trouble - the time and effort you have already expended is greatly appreciated.   :)

Deb

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie, got them straight from SP and the certs themselves.

Just tried John Gallagher - not one. Also tried Jane Gallagher aged 14 but again nothing, tried Jane Gallacher, aged 13 to 15 for the whole of Scotland and got 2

Jane aged 15 Calton, Glasgow City, Lanark
Jane aged 14 Dumfries, Dumfries

Gallacher in Dunbarton gives 227 matches and Gallacher in Old Kilpatrick gives 64. I'll send the 64 by PM.

regards,

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 18:43 GMT (UK) »
thanks for trying! 
Maybe the whole family went to Ireland for their holidays at census time. 

Either that, or they were spirited away by the little green men on their spaceships.  LOL!   :D

I have pm'd you
Deb.