Author Topic: Help with old photo  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help with old photo
« on: Sunday 04 June 06 12:57 BST (UK) »
I've never posted on this board before so apologies in advance if I get it all wrong.

This photo is of my husband's ancestors and, if correctly identified, it would have been taken in 1850s.  It is printed on metal rather than card would this be right for that sort of date?

If anyone could repair the damage for me I would be very grateful.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PennyQ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with old photo
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 June 06 15:23 BST (UK) »
here's my effort

cheers penny
Quayle, Isle of Man
Branch, Hambidge, Stevens, Chilton, Wakeman......Middlesex, Hayes, Harefield,

Offline tabsearch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Whitfield Longley 1894 - 1972
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 June 06 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Pinetree

Here's one from me

David
Please feel free to colour or improve for the benefit of the poster but an acknowledgement would be appreciated

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 June 06 19:56 BST (UK) »
Penny and David,

Thank you so much for your help with this.  Nice that the little girl (I think!) is now complete again.

Your efforts on my behalf are very much appreciated  ;)

Pinetree

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 June 06 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Pinetree,
If the photo is on metal, it could definitely be from the 1850s  :)  Tintypes were introduced in the early 1850s, but they did carry through right up until the 1920s, so you need to be a little bit wary...maybe the man's clothes can help pin down a date, he looks a fashionable kind of fellow so could have been wearing the latest fashions!

Prue

Offline ymfoster

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 June 06 04:49 BST (UK) »
And mine :)

Yvonne
Restorers may use my restores to colour, acknowledgement appreciated.

Mostly England - <br />Walne Nfk - Argent Barritt Hammond Sfk - Asprey Comber Cribb Gundrey Higgs Plaw Sewell Sumption Sry - Baldwin Bull Nth -  Brumfield Dufty London Wor -  Calverley Greenhalgh Lan - Dodson Stainsby NRY - Denison WRY - Whittle Yks - Dormer Mdx - Felmingham Eng - Grecian Nbl -  Hayse Mass US - Jenner Ounstead Weeding Ssx - McDonald Skye - Campbell McIndoe McMillan Inv - Window Gls

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 June 06 09:47 BST (UK) »
Yvonne,

Thank you for spending time on my photo.  Its very generous of you all to put the effort in for me and its amazing how the results give the whole thing a new lease of life.

Prue,

I'm pretty sure the father in the family group lived 1805-1882, the daughter on his lap 1845-1862 and the son standing 1847-1931.  Judging from the ages of the children I'd put date of photo as mid 1850s.  At least the technology fits, I'll do some digging on the costumes.  My only doubt is does Dad look old enough to be 50ish?  I usually think people looked older than they were in the past.

Thanks again to everyone who has responded.

Pinetree

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 June 06 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Pinetree,

I'm not sure that the children in the picture reflect who you think it might be...the boy on the right looks older than the child on the man's lap, by perhaps 2 or 3 years.  The older child could be 7 or 8 years old, and the younger maybe 4 or 5?  Dad looks to be in his 30s.

??? ??? ???

Prue

Offline ymfoster

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 June 06 13:30 BST (UK) »
Yvonne,

Thank you for spending time on my photo.  Its very generous of you all to put the effort in for me and its amazing how the results give the whole thing a new lease of life.

Pinetree

You're very welcome Pinetree, :)

I think the child on his lap is a girl also, as her coat does up on the opposite side to her brothers, .... I think the father could be in his 40s maybe  ???

Yvonne

Restorers may use my restores to colour, acknowledgement appreciated.

Mostly England - <br />Walne Nfk - Argent Barritt Hammond Sfk - Asprey Comber Cribb Gundrey Higgs Plaw Sewell Sumption Sry - Baldwin Bull Nth -  Brumfield Dufty London Wor -  Calverley Greenhalgh Lan - Dodson Stainsby NRY - Denison WRY - Whittle Yks - Dormer Mdx - Felmingham Eng - Grecian Nbl -  Hayse Mass US - Jenner Ounstead Weeding Ssx - McDonald Skye - Campbell McIndoe McMillan Inv - Window Gls