Author Topic: Can anyone help me?  (Read 2053 times)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
Can anyone help me?
« on: Monday 05 June 06 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi guys

I am interested in finding out about a guy called Dr. Craig-Simpson - I believe this is a double barrelled surname.

He was living in Maldon around 1924 - 1949 and then moved away to I dont know where.

I have searched the Historical Directories for Essex but it came up with 92 hits for Craig in the 1914 directory, but only a few hits for Doctor and he wasn't in any of them.

In 1924 Dr Craig-Simpson and his wife adopted my grandmother's little sister. She was renamed Jane and according to my mums cousin, she ended up in the Land Army and worked for the BBC. I've not been able to find a new birth certificate entry for her - I looked up to about 1928 under Craig to see if there were any double barrelled Craig-Simpsons, but got no luck. Pondering whether to try just Simpson.

I dont live in Essex, but my second cousin does and is planning to visit the records office soon, so does anyone have any suggestions of where I can direct him to try to find out anything? I had a thought about looking up electoral registers, so I will suggest this.

Any help would be much appreciated. My grandmother and her two other sisters have since passed away, I dont know if Jane is still alive. I know that my grandmother still had some contact with her as children, but then didn't see her again.

Thanks in advance

Alex

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 June 06 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex

Yes, electoral registers combined with local directories would be a very good starting place.  Your grandmother's sister should appear in the electoral register, for the first time, at age 21.  Hopefully she will be listed with Dr C-S and wife. Later electoral registers will show when she moved out  -  she may have married at that point.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but so far as I recall legal adoption did not exist until 1927 so I don't think her birth will have been re-registered.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 June 06 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dave

I know that adoption wasnt legal as such until 1927, but I thought I would look on the offchance - hence looking post 1927 as although her birth cert has the notation 'adopted' on it, I wondered whether after 1927 someone like a doctor might decide to ensure the adoption of his daughter was all proper etc and re-registered her under her new name. Worth a try!!

I just dont relish searching through the BMD registers to find a possible marriage for her... but if all else fails I might have to make myself do it!

Thanks again. Any other help will be much appreciated.

Alex

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.