Author Topic: A Photo Dating Question  (Read 1824 times)

Offline OzKat

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
A Photo Dating Question
« on: Tuesday 06 June 06 04:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can someone help me on the path towards identifying this child by suggesting a possible date to the photo? I don't have the original but could try to get hold of it if needed, since from earlier posts I see that knowing the photographer can narrow the date a little. I am pretty sure however, that it was taken either in Belfast or Dromore, County Down, Northern Ireland.

My mother and I have argued about this child for years. I would appreciate hearing some of your views about whether it is male or female (don't laugh but we argue even about this :) :-[) and how old you think the child is. And my other question would be - why would you pose a child of the age I think it is, lying back like this if they weren't ill? But he/she doesn't look ill to me.   :-\

Kath 
... Morrison, Murphy, Lindsay, Jones, McClatchey, McCormick, Sheehan & more - Ireland ...
... Grant, Ross, Urquhart, Rorie, May, McDougall, Donaldson  & more - Scotland ...
... Percival, Hodson, Russell, Lavis, Moxey, Viney, White, Delaforce, Bayne & many more - England ...

Percival and McCormack Family History

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: A Photo Dating Question
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 04:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath,
First impressions suggest to me that it's from around 1900, but not 100% sure. Seeing the whole of the original might help if you can get hold of it.

I think it's a girl, probably a little old for a boy to be dressed like that.  As for the pose, it does look a little unnatural...the first thing I thought of was that this was a post-mortem photo, but there is a liveliness in the face that I think rules that out.  Perhaps the child was ill or disabled in some way?  She is not gripping the doll or holding it at all with her left hand...

Prue

Offline OzKat

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 04:25 BST (UK) »
Yes I agree that there is no grip at all in either hand which I thought was a little odd. The face is very peaceful but I never even considered a post mortem shot :o - did this really happen? The other odd thing is that she appears to have a full head of thick dark hair - I don't associate that with very young children even though one of my own had pretty thick hair from the day she was born.
The arguement with my mother is around whether this was her mother or not - she thinks it is. I think it does bear a resemblance to her mother but as a child her photos always have her with blonde frizzy hair and even though it became quite dark as she grew older it never lost the frizz. This hair is smooth and straight. And to my knowledge she was never ill. Also she was born 1912 which I think is way too late. There is a possibility it is her older sister born 1902 but I think that would be too late as well and again I don't think she was ever sick. :-\
Kath
... Morrison, Murphy, Lindsay, Jones, McClatchey, McCormick, Sheehan & more - Ireland ...
... Grant, Ross, Urquhart, Rorie, May, McDougall, Donaldson  & more - Scotland ...
... Percival, Hodson, Russell, Lavis, Moxey, Viney, White, Delaforce, Bayne & many more - England ...

Percival and McCormack Family History

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath,
Definitely no frizzy blonde hair there!  ;D  It looks quite dark and very smooth.
Post mortem photos were quite common, but more so earlier on in the history of photography.  You see alot from the 1850s-1870s when people may not have thought to get a photo taken when alive, but in particular parents wanted a memento of their child...apparently it wasn't as morbid as we think it to be now.  You can find them for sale at online auctions all the time (which I think is a bit sad  :'( ).
I'm more convinced this child is alive, but I can't explain the odd pose...and to me, the child looks about 7 or 8 years old (but I'm terrible at picking ages!)
Prue

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 08:23 BST (UK) »
She looks like an invalid to me - are her legs slightly curved. It's as if she's been lifted up and placed on the seat and hasn't been able to get comfy. I'd say about 6/7 and late 1890s-1902. I have a photo of a grt aunt from around then but she's slightly older.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline redspookhunter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 08:53 BST (UK) »
mmmm, i would say its a possibility that this child could have ricketts because of the angle of her legs they also look slightly stunted compared to the rest of her,my grandmother had ricketts and has simular pics,it looks like they have taken the irons off her legs for this one.
another thing its a bit hard to date as the pics of my nan look very simular but she was born in 1923 but her pics look just as dated ie clothes etc :)
.<br />COTHER bedminster glos <br />WADLEY bedminster glos<br />SMITH bridgewater somerset <br />STAFFORD wexford ireland<br />

ALSO MARRIED TO KOJAK !!!!

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm, I hadn't thought of rickets, I was actually starting to think it might have been polio  - similar appearance for both, I guess.
She looks weak, but not "sick" if you get my drift...her little face is quite full and healthy looking  :)

redspookhunter is right, it is a bit hard to date photos of children.  Kath, if you can get hold of the original, and scan it again or at least let us know what it looks like (heavy card backing, any border, any inscriptions or printing, you know the sort of stuff we want  ;D  ) that would be really helpful.  It would be nice to be able to give you a pretty sure date to back up your argument with your mum!

Prue

Offline redspookhunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 12:59 BST (UK) »
please dont think me rude but there is somthing not quite right about the hair it looks a bit false,could it be attached to the bonnet ???
.<br />COTHER bedminster glos <br />WADLEY bedminster glos<br />SMITH bridgewater somerset <br />STAFFORD wexford ireland<br />

ALSO MARRIED TO KOJAK !!!!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 13:15 BST (UK) »
I'm sure it's a girl - too old to be dressed like this if a boy (and although I know little boys wore frocks and smocks, I'd be surprised to see a little boy beyond babyhood in a bonnet).

I'm in a minority here, but I don't think she looks ill. She looks to me as though she's been plonked on a thick sheepskin (hence not sitting with her back to the back of the chair) and told to sit *very still* while the photograph is taken.

I can't imagine this child would ever have gone on to have frizzy hair. I'd say she's about 6 and the photo was taken around the turn of the century.

Lovely picture! :)

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)