Author Topic: Andrew Fishburn  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Doug Fishburn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Fishburn
« on: Thursday 08 June 06 01:41 BST (UK) »
New user (Australian) seeking information on Andrew Fishburn who travelled to Australia on the First Fleet as a marine/carpenter serving in the Royal Marines 35th(Portsmouth) Company. I have fairly complete information on his time in Australia prior to his death in Parramatta in 1796 and his descendants but have no information on his birth (c.1760??),birthplace, parents etc. I have been told but cannot confirm that records for the Royal Marines were destroyed in the bombing of Portsmouth in WWII. Hope you may be able to assist in this matter.
Doug Fishburn

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Fishburn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 June 06 21:26 BST (UK) »
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=56

The NA still have records; it's good that you know his division/company as that will help a lot.

Description Books, 1755-1940 (ADM 158 ) seem to be the ones that will help you; the attestation records for the Portsmouth Division seem to not have survived, but these contain:

several different types of register giving the date and place of enlistment, age, parish of birth, previous occupation, physical description, promotions and whether injured or killed. They were drawn up using information from the attestation papers, not all of which now exist. They are arranged by Company within Division, and then usually by initial letter of surname (but not in strict alphabetical order), or by rank.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Doug Fishburn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Fishburn
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 June 06 22:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks - I will give it a go.
Thanks again.
Cheers
Doug