Author Topic: WATERFIELD in Tavistock  (Read 24979 times)

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfields in Tavistock
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 February 12 17:13 GMT (UK) »
OK I have to jump in here now as I also have WATERFIELDS.
William WATERFIELD married Elizabeth MARTIN at Tavistock 25 Dec 1808. William was a mason. They had 7 children baptised at:
John Dec 1811 (buried 5 Jun 1813) East Stonehouse; Mary 11 Jun 1814 Tavistock; Elizabeth Martin 23 Oct 1816 Plymouth St Andrew; Maria Perkin 30 May 1819 Plymouth St Andrew; John Richard 7 Oct 1821 Plymouth St Andrew; Ann 26 Oct 1823 East Stonehouse (buried 12 Jun 1825; James Martin 2 Apr 1826 East Stonehouse (buried 3 Oct 1827).
So I think this is possibly where the Martin middle name originated. I suspect that Elizabeth MARTIN was a sister of William MARTIN.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline criochtun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 February 12 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

Thanks for your swift responses! Some of the mystery now begins to lift... I agree that the Eliza in the 1861 Census is too young to be James' mother - I was reading into a previous posting about a young, unmarried mother giving birth in the workhouse, however, 14 is a bit young, even for those days!

However, that second posting by DOB7 sheds some light on the mystery. If William Waterfield and Elizabeth Waterfield were witnesses at William Martin's wedding to Joanna, then it makes sense that the connection should be through Elizabeth, m.s. Martin.

William Martin was definitely married to Joanna (Johanna in other censuses) The 1861 Census appears to be a transcription error as all the names and dates fit with other censuses, leaving Joanna as the only reasonable option. Nursing children were often farmed out to close relations, so James M Waterfield's presence in the Martin household would indicate a close relationship to one of his parents - in this case, Elizabeth.

If I find out more, I'll let you know!

Ross.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 February 12 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I've not read all the posts but the heading caught my eye. A brother and sister Waterfield were contemporaries of mine at Tavistock Grammar School 1953-8, and their mother ran the school tuck shop. She was still alive when we had a school reunion in 2003. Perhaps a letter to Tavistock Times and Gazette might help you make contact with the family if you are interested.

The old workhouse was at the top end of Bannawell Street. Looking at Google maps it seems as if Russell Court now occupies the spot.

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Krissy always in the clouds
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 February 12 14:39 GMT (UK) »
wow !! its great to see the waterfields raise their heads again , it will be interesting so see what new info we can all come up with !! hi debs (cousin) looks like we have so many more links to the family now will check with my mother about the school tuck shop lady she may well know her !!
krissy xx ::)
jefferis, jefferies, harding, dewar.drummond, waterfield,wright

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 February 12 15:10 GMT (UK) »
My memory is clearly failing me. There was only ONE Waterfield child at school with me!

Offline terrymo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 February 12 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you DOB7

This is looking more and more like my family of Waterfields - especially with the Martin connection.  It certainly explains why James lived with the Martin family all his younger life.

Mo
Preece, Waterfield,Harding, Welman, Dewar, Rossiter, Hill, Cummings,Tregonning, Harman, Martinelli
This information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 February 12 16:11 GMT (UK) »
It seems that way. My 'guess' is that James was the illegitimate child of one of William WATERFIELD and Elizabeth MARTIN's children and that they then farmed him out to MARTIN relatives. There is a birth registration for a James Waterfield, Tavistock district in 1842 - this may or may not help.
One of their daughters, Elizabeth Martin WATERFIELD (1816-1873) married Thomas Walter SQUANCE in 1834. Her husband died in 1849, and she then had various children elsewhere. William WATERFIELD's brother, John, married a Susannah SHERWILL, and one of their daughters, Dinah WATERFIELD married George SQUANCE, a younger brother of Thomas Walter SQUANCE. Another daughter, Tabitha WATERFIELD then married another George SQUANCE, cousin to the first 2 SQUANCEs.

Offline terrymo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 February 12 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

James Martin Waterfield was born in Tavistock workhouse 11/2/1842 -mother Elizabeth Waterfield, no father.  She would have been married to Thomas Squance at that time - but perhaps she was a naughty girl and registered the baby in her maiden name - but would she have been clever enough to do that?   We already have one prostitute in the family so another lady misbehaving would be no surprise!

Mo
Preece, Waterfield,Harding, Welman, Dewar, Rossiter, Hill, Cummings,Tregonning, Harman, Martinelli
This information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 February 12 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Can't be the same Elizabeth Martin WATERFIELD - she was with her husband in 1841:
King Street, Plymouth St. Andrews
Thomas SQUANCE 25 Labourer b. in county
Elizabeth SQUANCE 25 b. in county
Elizabeth SQUANCE 21 months b. in county
and they baptised a child 10 Jun 1842.