Author Topic: Record Office - profiteering or discouraging business?  (Read 3072 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Record Office - profiteering or discouraging business?
« on: Friday 09 June 06 10:00 BST (UK) »
A R/chatter on another board suggested to me that, judging by the IGI entries, some baptisms I was wondering about may be on a Dade register - worth getting, if so!  The person further suggested that I contact the relevant records office to see if they would do a quick lookup and email me the result.

No, they wouldn't.  They informed me that they would charge $35 Australian to lookup, copy and post it to me.

I think this is manifestly excessive, given that it may only be the standard one-line entry, no more info than is on the IGI.  I will certainly not be going down that track!

What do others think??

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Paul E

Re: Record Office - profiteering or discouraging business?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 June 06 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie

A bit of a gamble, even at $2.5 AUD to the £.

I wouldn't, however, underestimate the work involved in trawling through microfiche looking for records.  Even someone who's doing it on a regular basis will struggle with some of the handwriting and legibility issues.  Then there's the time copying and posting to you.

I think an enquiry to establish whether your ancestors' records are likely to be in a 'Dade' format first of all (and if you know the dates and location they should at least be able to tell you that gratis) would be the best route.

If it turns out it is a Dade, then my advice would be to go for it.  You're likely to get a minimum of three (possibly four!) generations of data for about £12.

Of course, if you can find a handy Rootschatter who is visiting the same records office for their own purposes, I'm sure they can be persuaded to spend a little time on your behalf.

All the best

Paul

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 June 06 12:24 BST (UK) »
If the IGI have it as an extracted record, then it would be far cheaper (if you are able to do this) to order the film to view at your nearest LDS Family History Centre.  After all, they have already done the hard part! 

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Paul E

« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 June 06 12:47 BST (UK) »
(Unless your nearest LDS centre is less than 30 miles away)!
 ;)

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 June 06 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

I would have thought that it was good value for money. The records have to be kept, that costs money, Then there is no such thing as a quick look-up!!! this may take some time, then the time spent transcribing the information - and you will want it to be as accurate as possible. This is going to take anywhere from 45 mins to and hour. So taking into account labour, electric, storage, etc, your request will probably be subsidized by taxes.

Record Offices are not in business, they are council departments and non profit making. They are funded by council tax payed by local inhabitants, and if lucky they may get other goverment grants.

Just my opinion

Lemon

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 June 06 13:47 BST (UK) »
Marie what Record Office was it? May be one of us could help you.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 June 06 15:02 BST (UK) »
I'm with Lemon.  There are still a few record offices around which will respond quickly and cheerfully to an email and only charge you if you want photocopies of documents.  Others simply don't have the personpower to do this.  They set up a formal search request system, for which you pay up front by the hour or half hour.  That covers the cost of the work time involved.  It can be very disappointing if they don't come up with the information you want, but they can't do a "no win, no fee" system.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 June 06 17:10 BST (UK) »
what parish records are you looking for?  I have a list of parishes that have dade registrations.  Let me know where and I will have a look.

Cheers
Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 June 06 17:42 BST (UK) »
I'm feeling dim.

What does Dade mean? I'm not sure I've ever come across it.

???
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Harrison - Northumberland
Rowland, Nicholson, Sneaton - Whitby
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"