Author Topic: ts exmouth  (Read 8569 times)

Offline Tina104

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ts exmouth
« on: Saturday 10 June 06 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone help me in trying to obtain a list of boys that were put onto the Training ship Exmouth.  It was moored in the River Thames between Essex and Kent.

I know my grandfather and his brother were on there in the early 1900's, but I would like to know how long they were on there and who put them on it.

Please please help.

Thanks

Tina

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ts exmouth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 June 06 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Tina

The records appear to be at the London Metropolitan Archives see http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/MAB-TrainingShips/MAB-TrainingShips.shtml

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0jy/ (LMA)

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nrofe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 December 06 23:26 GMT (UK) »
hi my user name is Nrofe.I am looking for the exmouth training ship in london my Dad was on there from 1906to1909 his name was bertie martin. can you fined a list of names of the Boys on this ship pleasehe was in a home since he was aged two. hope to see a replie soon  bye for now :)javascript:replaceText(' :)', document.postmodify.message);
Smiley

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 December 06 01:55 GMT (UK) »
here is an address where the records are kept,
Goliath and Exmouth — London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB.

her Majesty's ship the Exmouth, lying off Grays, in Essex, which has been instituted as a training ship for boys chargeable to the poor rates of the metropolitan parishes and unions. The Exmouth takes the place of the Goliath, destroyed by fire last Christmas twelvemonth, but is under different control. A few East London parishes, under the name of the "Forest Gate Stool District," in order to provide a marine training for boys

if you type  ''training ships goliath and exmouth'' into google you will come up with the link below with pictures of the boys and ship etc. also many other related sites i cannot post the pic's as they are copyright,

Training Ships Goliath and ExmouthA few East London parishes, under the name of the "Forest Gate Stool District," in order to ... Training ship Exmouth, 1917. Exmouth boys at drill, c.1929 ...
users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/MAB-TrainingShips
                                                                                     all the best, kali. 
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline nrofe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 December 06 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for a quick replie :) :) :)I will lookit it up and hope to find my dads information.I am looking also  for his older brother but not getting any were last I know of him was when he was discharged from the Sutton homes aged 14 he went with a mr Edward Ferris  who was a farmer of grove farm in west molesey                        in 1899 thats all I could fined The farm was sold and mr ferris went to live in Ivy lodge  west molesey. but alfred as just disapeared.I found mr ferris in 1913 in Ivy lodge. I dont know were to look now\his full name on his birthcertifcate was alfred stennett martin.I saw him with his parents in 1891aged five and his name was alfred H martin. his parents were Esther martin nee Wiltshire father alfred martin. sorry for going on.. any way thanks for helping me merry Christmas From new Zealand  Nrofe  :) :)javascript:replaceText(' :)', document.postmodify.message);
Smiley

Offline nrofe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 December 06 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello A gain sorry to bother you..I put the info mation you gave me and Googles came up saying no such place so what am I doing wronge can you tell me please bye now its lunch time here in new zealand. best wishes NRofe  (wyn) :-\javascript:replaceText(' :-\\', document.postmodify.message);
Undecided

Offline nrofe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 December 06 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I am able to get the site up as I relised what I was doing wronge.I also printed the picture of the exmouth  it was all in colour and got prints of the young sailors but couldnt find any of the boys names listed. at lest I know now were my father was .thanks for your kind help bye now merry christmas.Nrojavascript:replaceText(' :)', javascript:replaceText(' :)', document.postmodify.message);
Smileydocument.postmodify.message);
Smileyfe

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 December 06 00:36 GMT (UK) »
nrofe, i suggest you contact, london metropolitan archive's at 40 northampton rd. london ec1r 0hb
and can i wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year to you and your's, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline nrofe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 December 06 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your message do you think I will be able to get some information on my Dad when he was aboard Exmouth, it is so sad my family have lost so much history, hes been seperated form his family since he was aged two. it is hard for me searching as I livein new zealand. we have a farm in the north island . I was born in west darby village liverpool England  I have not been back for years.I will try what you told me I managed to get a lovely coloured picture of H.M.S Exmouth thanks for your help.so merry christmas to you and yours Nrofe(Wyn)