Author Topic: James Buist Youngson......  (Read 3595 times)

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
James Buist Youngson......
« on: Sunday 24 October 04 13:46 BST (UK) »
I have been given this name as a birth in c1874/75 at Gray (or Grey) Street, Lochee, Dundee..........but in the Birth Census online I can only find a James Youngson born  1875 Kilspindie, Perth.

Can anyone researching in this area make any suggestions, could a Dundee birth have been registered under a Perth District?

At a bit of a loss....can anyone help?

:)
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: James Buist Youngson......
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 04 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hmmm, they aren't that far apart. 

I have an instance on the other side of Scotland where a child was registered in Lochmaben Dumfriesshire but was actually born in Dalbeattie Kirkcudbright.  The mother and child was at her mothers in Lochmaben.

So the answer is that it isn't an impossibility.  Did you search a wide enough years? I always add a year either side just in case.

Good luck,
Pam
 ;D

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 October 04 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I had tried a reasonable range of years and am fairly hopeful these two are  one and the same and that there will be some valid reason for the different areas. 

It looks as if at some point, either after birth or a few years later, he was orphaned as he turns up again aged 7 at an Orphanage in Lanark (1881 Census) albeit, from what I can see, with the mis-spelt surname of Youngston.

I know that James's father was probably a stone/quarry worker and believe there was indeed a Quarry in Lochee.

Thanks for the good wishes. Who knows, maybe one day it will fall in place....mind you, still having problems tying in his parents...assuming a possible Buist/Youngson marriage but can't tie one down yet.....ever onwards...lol...... ;D

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 October 04 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hello.

This one has developed further and is still posing me with unresolved queries, so, if anyone has a fresh eye (or two  ;)) for a bit of a mystery, please see my postings on the Lanarkshire county board

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15882.0

Any thoughts/suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.... :)

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,
I think you should just bite the bullet and buy the certificates online,  I am in Australia and I buy my answers if I can.
Go to scotlandspeople site and pay $15  , and you will get 5 certificates if all goes well with your searches.
You have 2 possible births, that are probably the same child. then go and see if there is a marriage for the mother. and then look for the Death of mum.
The women are crossreferenced so you can search the Maiden name or the Married name. then match the reference nos..
Good luck.
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline d.hardie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 April 06 21:33 BST (UK) »
hi james ihave patullos .buist miller petries all from dundee what is your connections  iam sorry ihave know youngson

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi D.Hardie,
My Husband is a Pattillo from Aberdeen.
They came there in the mid to late 1700s from Perth.
They consistantly spelt their name with the (i) and not the (u), but they are all from the same stock......
once you get back to the 15oos, all one and the same....
Joanne Pattillo :D

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 18:38 BST (UK) »
Can anyone researching in this area make any suggestions, could a Dundee birth have been registered under a Perth District?

From Vital Registration by Bisset-Smith: "Where a child is born in a district different from the domicile (i.e. the parents' usual residence) the Registrar is directed ... to transmit a copy of the entry ... to the Registrar of the district containing the domicile, who transcribes the entry into his Register ...."

In other words, if a child is born in a district other than the district where its parents normally live, there ought to be two entries.

In more recent years, parents are allowed to choose to register the birth in the district where they live, so that children born in a large city hospital to parents living in a rural area can now be registered in the rural area instead of in the city.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 April 06 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi There Forfarian, :)
Just love to read your replies, just a wealth of information.
You add a personal touch to historical data.
Thanks,
Jo