Author Topic: Trebyan orphanage  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Dahlia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Trebyan orphanage
« on: Thursday 15 June 06 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have discovered that two of my great grandmother's sisters were living at Orphanage House, Lanhydrock in 1881.  Does anyone know where I can find more information about them - how they came to be there, what happened next?  Are there any records for this orphange - nothing on A2A, I've looked.

Their names were Alice and Minnie Underwood, and they were born in Bermondsey, South London.  The rest of their family were in London, and they were indeed orphans by then.  They were later living with relatives in Romford, Essex - Alice in 1891, Minnie in 1901.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dahlia
Clare, Nichols, Bradley, Adams, Griffiths, Lambert in Bucks, Middx, Kent, Liverpool, Worcestershire
Haworth in Lancashire and Halifax, Jaques in Leeds, Buxton in Manchester and Derbyshire.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trebyan orphanage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 June 06 11:53 BST (UK) »
Records would be at the Cornwall Record Office if anywhere.  It's worth emailing or calling them to find out what they do have.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
Re: Trebyan orphanage
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 June 06 17:14 BST (UK) »
A place called Maudlin is nearby, that might be worth a try. Maudlin came from Magdalen and I  think that there was a leper house there in the middle ages.

The National Trust Regional Office is at Lanhydrock, you might like to try them.

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex