Author Topic: Price to Roberts - Why?????  (Read 4071 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Price to Roberts - Why?????
« on: Monday 19 June 06 00:58 BST (UK) »
I am having so much fun with this family (sarcasm thick and strong here!)

Right my Great Grandmother was Catherine Thomas born 1865 in Holyhead Anglesey. Her parents were William Thomas and Elizabeth Price.

I know it is definitely Elizabeth Price as it is the name given on her marriage certificate and on Catherine's birth cert as well as another child William born 1869.

Now on 21 May 1877 they had their last child (that we know of) named Margaret. Margaret had a son in 1904 and we met his son, Michael and his wife. They brought some fantastic photos down as well as margaret's death cert and her birth cert

What a lovely surprise to see that !!

Father's name = William Thomas - well of course it is

Mother's name = Elizabeth ROBERTS - where the heck did that come from? Who is this woman?

Margaret is definitely a daughter of Elizabeth and William but why the devil have they put Roberts?

We do know that she had fallen out with her parents (John and Catherine Price) as they are supposed to have thought that she married beneath her status. John was an Accountant for a brewery in Liverpool whereas William, his father and his brother were all Blacksmiths.

We do not know her mother Catherine's maiden name but do know that she was from Llanfaelog, Anglesey where William and Elizabeth eventually moved to.

Can anyone give me any idea why she should suddenly and for only one child change her name? (Also some headache tablets would go down well)

Anyone willing to help a poor pained woman? Please

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Price to Roberts - Why?????
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 June 06 01:14 BST (UK) »
Think I'd check up on the parents Carol. As you say, what was her mother's maiden name?
Also are you sure it's the correct cert -address etc.?
final thought, maybe the registrar wrote it down wrongly - who was the informant?
And don't you want a Roberts in your family - we're a lovely crowd  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 June 06 01:39 BST (UK) »
Can't find a marriage for John Price and a catherine except for a Catherine Morris and that doesn't sound right

It's not  the original cert from when Margaret was registered but a copy made in 1921. The address is correct and matches the address given on her Baptism entry which I have a copy of the original from Llangefni.

Elizabeth was the informant as she left her mark - X

Course I have Roberts in my tree - My Great Grandad was edward John Owen but his father, according to marriage cert was John Roberts, My Auntie is a Roberts by marriage and she has 6 kids all with kids themselves so plenty of Roberts

Just would love to find out who this Roberts is. Might have to send for Elizabeth's brother's birth cert as he is the only one I have a definite date for. Then can find the marriage from there

I can't believe I'm coming up with these ideas! Are you trying to tell me telepathically?

Are you sure 100% that we aren't related? We have more common names than anyone else on here I think lol

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 June 06 08:42 BST (UK) »
I'll have another look around Carol but, as you know, Wales is not as well documented as Scotland  :(  We shouldn't have been conquered so early  :o
I'm sure we're related Carol - all those in North Wales are, if you go back far enough. We're probably 20th cousin once removed  :)

What was the date of birth of the first child to John and Catherine?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 June 06 11:28 BST (UK) »
Catherine was born 1st Feb 1865 in Holyhead

William nd Elilzabeth were married 21 Oct 1964 in Holyhead though William is under William Williams not Thomas

Carol

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 June 06 11:32 BST (UK) »
I assume you've tried the Gwynedd FHS website and publications - are they on the N Wales BMD. I'm not sure how much of Anglesey has been done. I did some of the Caernarfon ones.

Gadget

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 June 06 11:40 BST (UK) »
I got the marriage and birth cert from Llangefni Records office - photocopied out of the original book so they are the sources.

You'll just have to let me have all your North Wales and Anglesey names, dates and places so I can double check against mine. Then we'll know for certain

Carol