Author Topic: Where to find maps of old Notts  (Read 2494 times)

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where to find maps of old Notts
« on: Wednesday 21 June 06 00:11 BST (UK) »
Where can I find maps and information of places like Park St, St. Nicholas, Granby St, St. Nicholas, Jerrams Yard, St. Nicholas and St. Peters Marketplace.  Lots of others but I think they may be in the same area.
Thanks.

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Where to find maps of old Notts
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 17:03 BST (UK) »
What period in time are you looking at?  St Nicholas is close to St Peters so you're looking at city centre area.  The Central Library in Nottm has Ordnance Survey maps from 1880s and Nottm Archives has Goad fire insurance plans from late 1800s.  There are also various trade directories in both places that might add some value.  These don't generally include maps but can give the sequence of yards, buildings, etc. 

Sherwood.
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 17:10 BST (UK) »
This is a good website for old maps.http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/notts.htm
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 17:34 BST (UK) »
According to Glovers Directory 1844

Jerrom's Yard was off Park St and Park St was off Friar Lane (Friar Lane is still there)

Granby St was off St James's St (St James's St is still there, not far from Friar Lane)

St Peter's marketplace isn't listed; there's St Peter's Churchside, St Peter's Gate and St Peter's Square.  There was (still is) a small area in front of the church but I've never seen any reference to a marketplace there.  The main, ancient town marketplace is just up the road from St Peter's (up the present day Wheeler Gate), i.e. the place we call Old Market Square.

Sherwood.
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 23:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information.  It gives me an idea of where my Mann and Houghton families lived in the mid 1800's.

I will check out the website for old maps.
Thanks.

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 June 06 08:09 BST (UK) »
I find www.old-maps.co.uk a good source.

Sutton Rog

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
MANN family
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 June 06 14:24 BST (UK) »
Re: hwlambert and family name MANN, I have a rel Mary Ann MANN, wife of Robert Ignatious MARTIN, daughter of John MANN.  Any likely connection?

I'm afraid I don't have dates for birth or death but Robert married Mary 06-Jun-1865 at St Barnabas, Nottm.

Sherwood

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 June 06 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

Much of the basic information, churches and streets, are still here. To get basic geography a current map will help. Nottm City Council have a layered mapping system NOMAD:

http://webgis.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/website/nomad/index.asp?app=www_nomad

I also use multimap: 

http://www.multimap.com/

to get basic feel of the place even though I am a local.

For old maps I also use Nottinghamshire Archives:

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/leisure/archives/libraries-archives-contact.htm

and a 1910 map of Nottingham and a 1915 map of Narrow Marsh I have in a book,Steve Jones 2003,Nottingham - the Sinister Side, Wicked Publications.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 June 06 12:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jane,
Its always hard to get a perspective of where your relatives lived when you have no knowledge of an area.
I will check out the websites, thanks for the information.
Cheers.