Author Topic: Marriage.....  (Read 7063 times)

Offline Kozmos

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage.....
« on: Thursday 22 June 06 07:05 BST (UK) »
 I am looking info on the marriage  between a Thomas Hudson and Sarah ?

between abt 1850 and 1852.

Sarah  ? was born in Farnham Surry abt 1834.

Thomas was born in Gloucestershire abt 1831.

In 1861, they lived at Hungry Hill Farnham. Thomas was a carpenter.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
------
P.S.........I live in New Zealand so cannot pop down to the local research office/library

I am not sure if I am putting these messages in the right place, or even if I can find the replies...so my email is  (**)  ...hope I can display my email address

Moderator comment: e-mail removed to prevent spam and other abuses.  Please use the Personal Message system to exchange personal details
Barnes / Barns.....Kent
Osmotherly..........Kent
Rolfe................... Kent
Compton
Conroy................Belfast
Hudson................
Outram...............Leicestershire

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage.....
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 06 07:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Kozmos

You would need to tell us a bit more about this couple--did they have any children? If so, give us the names and ages, possibly their birthplaces if you have them...

What was Thomas Hudson's occupation?? Was his age consistent throughout the census years or not?

Then, other Rootschatters would be happy to help you out!

By the way, it is not a good idea to put your E-mail address up on this post or anywhere on this website...that is why we have personal message for!  :)

If you must post your e-mail address--write it out so no one is able to clink it easily--without @ in it, replace it with (at) in its place.

Cheers

Tees

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 June 06 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Kozmos

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

You can search for possible marriages yourself here:

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

Have you tried to find the birth of a child - the cert would give you the mother's maiden name, which would make searching for the marriage easier?

Do you have the family on later censuses?  Sometimes in-laws come to stay, which would provide further clues.

I looked for Thomas in 1851 quickly, but didn't see him.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

p.s. I notice the 1861 census says Thomas comes from Dean, Gloucestershire - this is significant, as sometimes places in the Forest of Dean were enumerated in Monmouthshire, Wales. RG9/432/135/42   Their eldest child is 9, meaning Sarah snr was only 18 when she was born (assuming she is the mother).  I would be looking for a marriage near Sarah's home town.

It might have been easier if you or I had posted the full details of the 1861 - Sarah jr was born Hartley Row, Hampshire in 1852, so that might also help locate the marriage.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 06 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots!!

Can you merge her two same subjects on two different threads-this with other in Beginners?

It would prevent a lot of duplicate work!

Cheers

Tees

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 June 06 08:21 BST (UK) »
Well this is getting interesting!

The 1861 has Thomas's place of birth as Dean Northants Gloucester.

However...

1851 census  HO107/1746/300/13

Thomas HUDSON H M 59 - carpenter - Northanpton Gla(ss?) thorn
Eleanor W M 50 - do Deene
John son U 25 - carpenter - do
Thomas son U 24 - do - do
George son U 20 - do - do
Sarah dau U 16 - employed at home - do
Fanny dau U 14 - do
Emma dau 12 - scholar - do
Ellen dau 10 - do - do
Harriet dau 8 - do - do

Address: Deene, Northamptonshire

So we now know that you are looking for a Thomas HUDSON marriage after 1851.

I am a little wary of a marriage to Sarah (unknown) even though the eldest daughter of the couple is called Sarah - only because of the age of the mother and the fact that there is a gap between the two children's ages in 1861.  Note that Thomas's eldest sister is also Sarah.  But it could be that they lost a child in between.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Kozmos

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 June 06 08:23 BST (UK) »
Thank-you so much everyone.
Here is a little bit more info....and I will also certainly check out those sites.

Thomas was a Carpenter.
Children's ages in 1872 (stated in the May Queen passenger list to new zealand)...Sarah 20..Louise 16..Rosa 9..Thomas 7..Annie 5..George 3 and Kate 1.

Sarah (Dau) was born in Hartley row..Hampshire.
Louise was born in Farnham. Surrey.

I have not been able to access an 1871 Census to find out where the others were born...or indeed if there were other children born between Louise and Rosa.

Thomas' age at death was 77 in 1903, so there is a difference of about 5 yrs in age between his death age and the 1861 census age (30)

I believe no more children were born after landing in N.Z.

Thankyou all again.

Kozmos

Barnes / Barns.....Kent
Osmotherly..........Kent
Rolfe................... Kent
Compton
Conroy................Belfast
Hudson................
Outram...............Leicestershire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 June 06 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots!!

Can you merge her two same subjects on two different threads-this with other in Beginners?

It would prevent a lot of duplicate work!

Cheers

Tees

Thanks Tees - I have put a link to this thread on the other - as you say, we would be doing the same work twice.

Kozmos - Thomas's age in 1851 is nearer his date of birth at death than the 1861 then - some variation between censuses was almost compulsory, LOL!

;)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 June 06 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Kozmos & Arranroots!

Where should we start looking for the marriage records in?

I have looked up-but problem is that nothing indicate Northampshire--isn't that in London?

If so, there are three entries for that area.

Let me know so I can transcribe the info for you.

On the IGI, it only brings up ONE entry on Thomas Hudson and Sarah...

Now...Kosmo, you said he died in 1903 where? In NZ, right? If so, have you his death certificate? Hopefully it contains a wealth of information like an Aussie one? Do not worry about his age at the death because the age are usually off the mark for that generation--my great aunt could not put down any birth date for my g granny when she died, the information left blank. Same with other g granny, with interesting note by the doc with his estimation of her age!

Kind regards

Tees

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 June 06 08:41 BST (UK) »
Tees - at the moment we are not sure where the marriage took place, so would have to look for possibilities in the "home counties" or Hampshire, where Sarah was born.

This is a possibility, but only if Thomas was married twice!

Marriage

Sep q 1851

Northampton Vol 15  Page 407

Thomas HUDSON

Fanny Elizabeth BARWELL

Emily CARTER

Mary Ann HARDWICK

Hannah PETTIFER

(I have not transcribed the other male names)

A birth cert for Sarah (dau) would be the best way to be sure.

Do you have access to the censuses, Kozmos?  Here is 1871 RG10/821/147/40  I can transcribe is for you if you need it?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)