Author Topic: Ake in/around Constable Burton  (Read 4143 times)

Offline sherlock1207

• RootsChat Member
  • **** Sharman family crest ****
    • View Profile
Ake in/around Constable Burton
« on: Thursday 22 June 06 07:14 BST (UK) »
As part of my research into my family history I have compiled the following paragraph:

"Jane (Sharman) was the first of George’s children with his second wife, Lettice. She was born at Edenham (Lincolnshire), and was christened there on 25th December 1872. Early in 1899 she married James Ake (Mar 1899 Pboro dist 3b 327), who had been born at Finghall (between Leyburn and Bedale) in Yorkshire and was about the same age as Jane. Jane returned to Yorkshire with James, and in 1901 they were farming at Foal Park Farm, Constable Burton – listed in the census as Foul Park Farm! By then they already had two sons – James H. Ake (aged 2; born Peterborough) and Norman D. Ake (aged 1; born Finghall)."

Despite visiting the graveyards at Finghall and Hauxwell (Constable Burton has no church) whilst passing through the area last week, I cannot find any trace of James and Jane Ake or their descendents. Other Akes are there, but not James or Jane. Maybe they moved. Can anyone help please?

Bond Hoyles Mettam Sharman primarily in counties Durham Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire Rutland Shropshire Yorkshire

Offline Stephen George-Powell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Ake in/around Constable Burton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 June 06 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can't really help I'm afraid. However in the course of looking I did notice that Norman D. is actually Norman Donald, if born in Leyburn district in Q2, 1890. You probably know this, but this is just in case you didn't ..... !

Cheers.
HEREFORDS; Powell & Williams in Longtown/Clodock
YORKS; Grants (Pocklington). Moorby & Wilkinson (Settle/Gigg), Dinsdale (Hawes/Aysgarth).
NORTHANTS/WARWICKS; Wright, Pirkins & Rands
DERBYS; Bateman & Kew
BRISTOL, SOMERSET; Senior
JAMAICA; Senior & Cunningham
LONDON/HOME COUNT;Griffiths, Powis, Bateman
LINCS; Blanchard, Crawshaw, Caborn, Jackson & Walker
EIRE; Martin (Dublin) &Cunningham (Donegal)
MONTGOMERYSHIRE; Dax (Welshpool)
BEDS; Burwell & Wingate
VIRGINIA; Burwell&Higginson

Offline sherlock1207

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 June 06 21:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, Stephen, I'd missed that. My Norman D Ake was born in Q2 1900, but he was indeed Donald. Why didn't I spot that before you pointed it out? Thank you so much. By the way, do you know of any post-1901 Akes?
Bond Hoyles Mettam Sharman primarily in counties Durham Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire Rutland Shropshire Yorkshire

Offline Stephen George-Powell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 06 21:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry, yes I mean 1900 ! Sorry, I don't know of any Ake's after that time. I read your post 'cos I have a historical (non family related) interest in Constable Burton.

Cheers.
HEREFORDS; Powell & Williams in Longtown/Clodock
YORKS; Grants (Pocklington). Moorby & Wilkinson (Settle/Gigg), Dinsdale (Hawes/Aysgarth).
NORTHANTS/WARWICKS; Wright, Pirkins & Rands
DERBYS; Bateman & Kew
BRISTOL, SOMERSET; Senior
JAMAICA; Senior & Cunningham
LONDON/HOME COUNT;Griffiths, Powis, Bateman
LINCS; Blanchard, Crawshaw, Caborn, Jackson & Walker
EIRE; Martin (Dublin) &Cunningham (Donegal)
MONTGOMERYSHIRE; Dax (Welshpool)
BEDS; Burwell & Wingate
VIRGINIA; Burwell&Higginson

Offline sherlock1207

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ake in North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Some years on from my previous posting I think I should share what I now have on the Ake-related section of my Sharman Family History:

• Jane Sharman was the first of George’s children with his second wife, Lettice. She was born at Edenham (Lincolnshire) in the autumn of 1872, and she was baptised there on Christmas Day of that year. In 1891 at the age of 18 years Jane was working as a cook for a family named Nunneley at Sheep Market in Market Harborough (Leicestershire). She seems to have moved east to Peterborough sometime in that decade, because there she married James Ake early in 1899. James had been born early in 1873 at Unthank Farm, Finghall (between Leyburn and Bedale) in north Yorkshire to John Ake and Elizabeth (née Johnson). John and Elizabeth Ake had several other children who became farmers in Wensleydale. After their marriage Jane returned to Yorkshire with James, and in both 1901 and 1911 they were farming at Foal Park Farm, Constable Burton. Jane and James had at least six children – James Huband (born early in 1899, died in 1934), Norman Donald (1900-1981), George John S (1902-1988), Richard (1904-1975), David William (1906-1963) and Catherine Emma (1909-2001). James Huband Ake was born in Peterborough at around the time that his parents were married, which might explain why they were not married at Edenham. The other five children were all born in Yorkshire. It seems that the family moved a few miles east at some time, because James died in the Thirsk registration district in the summer of 1936 aged 63 years. Jane Ake (née Sharman) outlived James by almost twenty four years. She was buried at Appleton Wiske (near Northallerton) on 1st June 1960 aged 87 years.

I do hope that this update is of interest to someone out there. If you can add any more, please contact me.