Author Topic: Nowell royston rex Bashford  (Read 6549 times)

Offline Bashford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Stacey Bashford
    • View Profile
Nowell royston rex Bashford
« on: Thursday 22 June 06 19:28 BST (UK) »
 Kaye (nee Bashford) was born in Woodingdean. Brighton (20 Jan 1943) and I have been trying to source her family tree with little luck at the moment.
Her father NOWELL ROYSTON REX BASHFORD b 17-12-1912 in Steyning.
Siblings:
Iris
John Eric b 25-1-1908 in Steyning.
Brenda b 1916
Donald
Roland
Her father Rex married Constance Lottie Smith (b 6 Mar 1915) on 21 May 1941 in Brighton.
I believe her Grandfather John was born c1882 in Brighton, and we know that he married Rosa Ellen Hawes (b-1878) in 1905.
However I am stuck on getting any info on her Grandfather John, and therefore can go no further back in time..

can anyone help with any Information on this family ? 

I have come up with nothing more than what is posted here .

Bashford\sussex\London\surrey
bertenshaw\west\breden\miles\botting\jonson\burt

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nowell royston rex Bashford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 June 06 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Found this in the 1901 census.

27 Whichels Place

All born Brighton

Albert Bashford, head, age 49, plumber journeyman
Jane, wife, age 47
George, son, age 24, plumbers labourer
Emily, dau, age 16
John, son, age 18, errand boy
Alice, dau, age 8
Percy, son, age 5

RG13 924
folio 149 page 17
Brighton, Sussex

You could confirm that this is the right one by obtaining Johns marriage certificate. I couldnt see any other John's of the right age in Brighton. I will take a look at the 1891 and see what I can find for you.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 June 06 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

Found his birith registration and also the 1891 census

John Bashford
December quarter 1884
District of Brighton
Vol 2b Page 274

I searched from 1881 onwards and there was not another John born Brighton.

This age also fits with the following 1891 census

1891 census

18 Little Russel St

All born Brighton

Albert Bashford, head, age 38,plumber
Jane, wife, age 36
George, son, age 15, labourer
Annie, dau, age 10, scholar
Martha, dau, age 8, scholar
John, son, age 6, scholar
Emily, dau, age 4
Henry, son, age 5 months

RG12 813
folio 119 page 12
Brighton, Sussex

Hope this helps.

If you want to go back further I would be more than willing to help you.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Bashford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Stacey Bashford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 June 06 00:30 BST (UK) »
Bingo ! 18 little russell street !!   I have this family in my tree!

;D

if the family are linked to this family then they are a new branch of the tree !

ill keep you informed .

thanks again stacey

Offline Bashford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Stacey Bashford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 June 06 11:31 BST (UK) »
 ;D

ok here it goes !

From records i have plus what is posted here i can say albert bashford was married to ann reeves

they had the following children

albert born 1873/4  he  was 8 @ the 1881 census but missing from the 1891 census .

william born 1879 not on the 1881 census 3 years later

george  7m @1881 census 15 in the 1891 census and 24 in the 1901 census !!!!???? i had his birthdate as 8 nov 1879....
i dont have any answers for this!!

mary ann bashford 10m @1881 and 10 @1891 but now known as annie .

martha jane 8@1891 census

john ..... aged 6 in 1891 but 18 in 1901 !!!???   
i had him in my notes as being born dec 1884 .

emily aged 4 in 1891 aged 16 in 1901   

frances born 1889 not on 1891 census .

henry 5m on 1891  not on 1901 census

alice 8@1901 census

percy 5 @1901 census

looks like a lot of research needed to get dates and ages correct .

and a marrage certificate for John to see if hes the John in 1st post .

Offline m.sharp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 July 06 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, the Bashfords are in my Husbands family, his G/Gran was Elizabeth Bashford m. ? Collison.  Thought u might be interested in this which i believe is a distant relative (poor woman):-

14.7.1831 11 Donkey Row (off Edward Street)

and 7 Margaret Street.

Celia Bashford,aged 35.

John Holloway was eighteen when he met Celia Bashford, a dwarfish servant with a malformed head. He said he was 'ashamed to be seen with her until after dark'. Nevertheless, he made her pregnant. The Town Overseers locked him up in Lewes jail for five weeks until he agreed to support Bashford and her anticipated child. The baby arrived still-born, though, and Holloway felt himself trapped in a futile marriage.

He spent four years away on Blockade Service, tracking smugglers. At this time he met and bigamously married Ann Kendell. They returned to Brighton and lived at 7 Margaret Street, while his other wife Celia lived with her sister in nearby Cavendish Street.

On the 24th July Holloway enticed Celia, with her belongings, from her sister's house on the pretence of beginning a new life in London. Despite his poor financial state, Holloway had rented a second house at 11 Donkey Row, and it was to that address that he took Celia.

In his own words, 'I asked her to sit down on the stairs and then in the pretence of kissing her I passed a line around her throat and strangled her'. His other wife Ann emerged from the shadows and helped him to hack off Celia's head and limbs. They dropped them in the outside toilet of their home at 7 Margaret Street, and placed the torso in a trunk which they buried in the woods near Lovers Walk.

It emerged that Celia was eight months pregnant, and at the autopsy the unborn baby was discovered inside the torso. This case came to be called the 'Brighton Trunk Murder' - the first of two, or three, depending on whether or not you count the trunk kept at the Brighton railway left-luggage office in 1934.

COLLISON; SENNITT; MONEY; GOTOBED; HITCH; LOWE;LANGFORD;LEAVENS: SENNITT(CAMBRIDGE)  LANE; GUDGE;BASHFORD(SURREY)  NEWMAN; SHARP;(MIDDLESEX)
COLLISON; DOWSING (SUSSEX: KENT) WYATT/EAST; CUTLER (BUCKS.)SENNETT/SENNITT: ASHTON: (CAMBRIDGE, CHELSEA, ISLINGTON, CAMBERWELL.)

Offline Bashford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Stacey Bashford
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 July 06 16:23 BST (UK) »
:'(

I am a distant relative to Celia Bashford shes a ggg aunt i think i could look it up .

I have news paper reports from the London times if your intrested .
also did you know a copy of a paper reporting the murder was sold for over £2000 recently ?

I'm waiting also  to hear from  a local (to Brighton not me)youth film group  who were makeing a film about her murder and others in Brighton .

if you look at my web page (is my sisters really) you will see the story you wrote
plus links to women of Brighton site  which has the story also .

i have been researching this story since i discovered the link to my tree .

Intend to put up a website at some time with the full story .

Mrs Bishop who was the sister of Celia  is Catherine Bashford who was living at no 4 Cavendish place Brighton at the time of the murder .

the name collison I'm sure Ive seen in my tree someplace .. it maybe on sisters website  link  press globe <<< .

if you have more information ill be pleased to hear it , like wise don't be afraid to ask if your looking for information .

Stacey

Offline m.sharp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 July 06 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
My Elizabeth Bashford was born c.1873 m. George Edward Collison b. c1872 they had a son Jack born in Uckfield in 1902 died 1926 of TB in Cobham, Surrey as did his wife Caroline Leavens in 1928 when hubbys Mum Betty was 4 yrs old. but cant find any record of her at all, only their marriage certificate. But i shall carry on looking...   :)
COLLISON; SENNITT; MONEY; GOTOBED; HITCH; LOWE;LANGFORD;LEAVENS: SENNITT(CAMBRIDGE)  LANE; GUDGE;BASHFORD(SURREY)  NEWMAN; SHARP;(MIDDLESEX)
COLLISON; DOWSING (SUSSEX: KENT) WYATT/EAST; CUTLER (BUCKS.)SENNETT/SENNITT: ASHTON: (CAMBRIDGE, CHELSEA, ISLINGTON, CAMBERWELL.)

Offline m.sharp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 17:03 BST (UK) »

"I'm waiting also  to hear from  a local (to Brighton not me)youth film group  who were makeing a film about her murder and others in Brighton . "

Hi Stacey.
I would be interested to know if u get any more info re the film above.  Thanx.
Regards Margaret.