Author Topic: Stone Quarry Inn - Chelwood Gate  (Read 5015 times)

Offline sussexkim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stone Quarry Inn - Chelwood Gate
« on: Friday 23 June 06 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there

An ancester of mine used to work at a pub called the Stone Quarry Inn in Chelwood Gate. I know that the pub is no longer there (well I couldn't find it!!) but was wondering if anyone knew when it was knocked down or had any other information.

Thanks

Kim
Forever searching for NEWNHAM in Fletching/Danhill/Horsted Keynes/Cuckfield area of Sussex
Also BROWNING, WARNETT and STEPNEY

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Quarry Inn - Chelwood Gate
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 June 06 10:56 BST (UK) »
Presumably it was in Stone Quarry Road which I go along quite regularly.   Did you get as far as the pub called the Coach and Horses (on the way to Danehill) which is near there?   Always full of locals who may well know the answer.
Andrea

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 June 06 22:10 BST (UK) »
Kim,

According to a book I have, (Forest Camera by Peter Kirby), the Stone Quarry Inn, renamed The Quarry in 1979, was closed by 1984 and demolished for new houses.

Regards,
Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sussexkim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 06 11:02 BST (UK) »
I did get as far down as the Coach and Horses, but decided that I must have gone past it! I went back the other day and there is actually a house called Quarry Inn house on Stone Quarry Road, so Im guessing that that house stands where the pub used to be!

Forester - does your book have any pictures of the Stone Quarry Inn? We only have one picture but it is off my ancester sitting on a step outside and doesn't actually show the pub!

Thanks

Kim
Forever searching for NEWNHAM in Fletching/Danhill/Horsted Keynes/Cuckfield area of Sussex
Also BROWNING, WARNETT and STEPNEY

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 July 06 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Kim,

I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you, but it's been a busy week.

There is one picture of the pub in the book, a rather blurry one of the front of the building, taken in 1900. The bulk of the book is devoted to Nutley and Fairwarp and is of photos taken around 1900.

It sounds as if you are local, so you may find the book in a local library. East Grinstead used to have a good local history section, which covered Ashdown Forest, even though the town is in West Sussex.

There were a couple of copies for sale on Abebooks the other night.

Forest Camera
Peter Kirby
Published 1998 by Sweethaws Press
ISBN 0 9511 795 5 1

Regards,
Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline apeks

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 December 14 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Re-Opening an old thread. Did you find any pictures of the said pub?

My Great great grandfather Joseph Turner was the landlord with his wife Ansley and the family remained here for over 30 years until at least 1911. Furthermore, my Great grandfather Elias was born there. I'd love to see any images you might have found.

best,

Jesse

Offline AnnaSen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 February 21 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jesse, sorry I cannot see how long ago you posted regarding your ancestors the Turners. I stumbled upon this thread when also looking for any images of the Stone Quarry Inn, like the original poster. I was searching as I saw it come up on the 1881 as the residence of my Great great grandmother, Mary Jane Turner (later Mary Harrison). She is listed there as 13 years old and a servant rather than offspring of your ancestors Joseph and Ansley. In your research, have you by any chance stumbled upon Mary as it seems more than a coincidence that she shares the surname but is not related!
Thanks!

Offline Maxi369

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 13:46 BST (UK) »
'Turner' was and most likely still is a popular surname in these parts. Tessa Turner, Nigel Turner (son of Burner Turner, who drove everywhere at 20mph), Wendy Turner, they are everywhere. The Stone Quarry pub was knocked down just before I came of age, sadly. Keep pubs alive!