Author Topic: Lower Cumber. Joseph Black and Catherine McShane  (Read 6787 times)

Offline townlandirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lower Cumber. Joseph Black and Catherine McShane
« on: Friday 23 June 06 16:20 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the Births and Marriage of these my Great Grand Parents.  I have their children.  The first born was in 1833.  So I am using this date as a starting point.  I would appreciate any info including any other "Blacks".
I have lots of "Blacks" plus their spouses which I hope to put on the boards when I can.  However, if anyone would like me to check my list I will be only too pleased to help.
Maurice.

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lower Cumber. Joseph Black and Catherine McShane
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 03:13 BST (UK) »
I have just about given up on my Blacks,but you never know,so here goes. A Joseph Black bc 1795/1800 m'd ??? ,had a son Joseph 1831,supposedly in Kildress Co Tyrone,(but now I'm not so sure) He m'd a Martha(Matty) Craig,a widow,maiden name Weir,in 1856 in Belfast.Her father was Joseph Weir. The" Black" men were beetlers in linen mills.Do you have any Black families who migrated from Co Tyrone to Co Derry over the years? Agnetta

Offline townlandirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Agnetta,
The Joseph Black I am looking for was probably born about 1800 but I dont know where yet.  He had a son Joseph born 1833 in Kildoag, Derry.  This is near the dates you are looking for.   But! as often happens I think we are near but yet so far.  This son was born in Kildoag, Derry which might still be your Joseph.  However, he married a Margaret Walker and they had two children christened in 1861 in Derry.   This disagrees with the wife and place of marriage which you have for the son Joseph.
Going back to the older Joseph, there is a Joseph black on the freeholder list for 1896 in Kildoag.  I think he is the one I am looking for but cant be certain yet.  Which does not help you of course.
I have come accross "Blacks" in various places in my searches and I have a few from Kildress which as far as I know dont belong to my "Blacks".  I will get the info on them sorted out and send you what I have got.
One of my contacts told me he thought my ancestors came from Donegal but I have not managed to find any proof.  So far, they all come from Derry.
Will send you the Kildress info and if you would like any info on the "Blacks" I have let me know.  As I have lots of them it would be best to give as many clues as possible.
Regards
Maurice

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 07:00 BST (UK) »
Maurice - I know from my own experience that there are many Black families.I once spoke to the Minister of Oritor Presbyterian church, (where Kildress Pres's would have attended)and he told me he had 17 "Black"families in his congregation and they wern't all related to each other !! I started this genealogy lark many years ago,going to LDS libraries and recording my findings by hand. (computers have sure made life a lot easier)I have notes on hundreds of them but not the one I need.I know from his marriage cert. that he was born 1831 and his father was Joseph (Mind you according to 1901 census,when he was living at Lambeg,Co Antrim, with his married daughter,it states he couldn't read or write,so maybe his memory of his birth year could be out too) He and wife Martha Weir had 6 children.I have proved the last 3 Joseph 1865,Elizabeth 1869(my grandmother) and Agnes 1873 all born Derriaghy Co Antrim,but the first 3 Jane 1857,Mary 1858 and Margaret 1863 I can't find.(I remember Margaret.We used to raid her orchard!)The only Joseph Black I can find b 1831 is to a Joseph Black and Martha Martin of Dromara Co Down. I'll keep searching.You just never know! Agnetta

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 March 07 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maurice,
I also have Blacks In Ireland , I think Ballyderg, Nancy Black is my 3 X great Grandmother born Abt 1820 married Hugh Douglas of Terrydrum in 1849
Her Father Was Richard Black A Weaver,
Regards Sybil ( prophetess)
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline townlandirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sybil,
Thanks for your reply but I dont think the Blacks I am researching are connected to yours.  Mine are from Lower Cumber in Derry.  If you have any names from that area let me know and I will check what I have and will let you know if we have any which connect.
Regards
 Maurice.
PS. I like the cat.

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 15:34 GMT (UK) »
will do just realy made some headway with my Irish ancestors, it the past week or too,
thanks Sybil
 ps. as for the cat before he was redone to post him he used have a drink from the bottle and use the remote lol
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 August 07 06:47 BST (UK) »
Maurice - bringing you up to date on my Joseph Black who married Matty (Craig) Weir. On their marriage cert he was born 1831 and his fathers name was Joseph.Turns out his fathers name was recorded wrongly, and his own age.He was born in 1822 in Kildress to William Black and Margaret ?? and had4 brothers.(I knew from word of mouth that Joseph was in his nineties when he died,as were 2 of his daughters,Elizabeth,my grandmother,and Margaret) It took a long time and some weird and wonderful turns to find this info !! Given that none of these people could read or write, and obviously couldn't remember details of birth years etc,and a lot of the ministers wern't much better in that field,plus some of them ,for whatever reason,wanted to hide their age,I suppose we shouldn't be surprised. Regards, Agnetta

Offline townlandirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 August 07 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Agnetta,
Before I answer your message, I must apologise for not sending you info which I promised in my previous post.  I seem to have a mental block between Killdress and Lisdillen.  One of those occassions when the brain cant take in all the info.  My doctor always says it is "old age". 
The names I have are in Lisdillen so naturally I could not let you have any info, but should have said so.  In the many records that I have searched, I did come accross lots of "Blacks" in Donegal and Tyrone but must have had a clear out.  It is strange how close some of your records are to the ones I have.  I am going to try to send you a copy of the names I have.  Most of them are probably not my relations but could be, if I could get some confirmation.
I have shown the Townland and Parish if I know them and where I got the info. When it say John of or Margaret of, for instance, it means son or daughter of.
By the way, these are my distant names, there are many modern and up to date ones which I haven't made a list of.    If the list doesn't appear, please let me know.
Regards Maurice.